Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Victorinox Hercules with a weak spring?

us Offline austin83

New Victorinox Hercules with a weak spring?
on: December 26, 2013, 08:52:11 PM
I just received a new Victorinox Hercules, and the standard size Phillips screwdriver doesn't snap back to it's folded position. It does appear to have a strong spring and it snaps open forcefully, but there isn't enough return force to stow it, and I have to manually close it after the spring tension is released. The long smaller Phillips screwdriver seems to have a much stronger spring, and it snaps and returns to the folded position. A few months ago I purchased a new Victorinox Climber that has a cap lifter that will not snap back either, but I haven't sent it in for repair yet. Should the screwdriver snap back into place, or is it behaving normally? I hate to send this great knife in for repairs if it's not necessary. I did oil the screwdriver as well, and it didn't help any. Any advice is appreciated.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: New Victorinox Hercules with a weak spring?
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:41 PM
I just received a new Victorinox Hercules, and the standard size Phillips screwdriver doesn't snap back to it's folded position. It does appear to have a strong spring and it snaps open forcefully, but there isn't enough return force to stow it, and I have to manually close it after the spring tension is released. The long smaller Phillips screwdriver seems to have a much stronger spring, and it snaps and returns to the folded position. A few months ago I purchased a new Victorinox Climber that has a cap lifter that will not snap back either, but I haven't sent it in for repair yet. Should the screwdriver snap back into place, or is it behaving normally? I hate to send this great knife in for repairs if it's not necessary. I did oil the screwdriver as well, and it didn't help any. Any advice is appreciated.

Hmmm, It sounds like it could be the half-stop.. Does it just snap into place again, when it's half-opened?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:58:08 PM
I just checked my Hercules and it is exactly the same, the closing snap on the Philips is very soft, almost none.
I think this is intentional as it would be very difficult to open it using the little nub because it is so close to the pivot.
When the knife is all closed up the Philips driver is kept in place by the pliers closing over it.

In fact, the long #1 Philips driver that lives under the scissors is pretty much the same. strong open snap but very little closed.

I'd say nothing to worry about. Enjoy what I find to be almost the perfect camping SAK.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:59:45 PM by PTRSAK »

us Offline austin83

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:06:27 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:57:54 PM
Pleased to be of help.

Knowledge is worthless unless shared.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31