Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage multitools from around the world

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Vintage multitools from around the world
on: January 01, 2014, 04:15:01 AM
I've been using the holiday break to get caught up on photographing and cataloging some of the old tools I've found over the past year. (they have been piling up here on my desk, and I need to make some space!) :ahhh :D  Anyhow, I just realized that of the last ten tools I'd put away, none of them were made in the U.S. Which is somewhat noteworthy, given that I live in the U.S. and most of the tools in my collection come from this country. So in no particular order, here they are:

British bicycle wrench kit. It is stamped with a "BRITISH MADE" logo, but I don't know if this was the name of the company that produced it, or simply a notice that it was made in Britain? Has four different open end wrenches, a flat screwdriver, and a tire lever.

British EOD pliers. No markings of any kind on this one, but the seller (from England) assured me it was made there. Has a set of cap crimpers, eod wire cutters, and a C4 spike. The same layout as other EOD pliers, but these ones have been meticulously machined from hardened brass billet, presumably to eliminate the chance of a spark.

Detonator shot key. This one was also shown in the picture above. It is not really much of a "multi" tool, but it does have a folding C4 spike and a special key used to trigger an electronic detonator. From the same English fellow who sold me the EOD pliers.

Verjoux wrench knife, made in France. The Verjoux company made a number of different size monkey wrenches, the smallest of which was their "Baby" model. The Baby was sold as a stand-alone wrench, and also as a folding tool on this knife.

Verjoux glass worker's knife. This knife is much like the one above, but the "Baby" wrench is instead a small caliper for measuring glass thickness, and there is a hardened glass cutter wheel on the tip of it. Also from France.

House In Bloom gardening tool
, made in Japan. Three separate pieces on a common pivot. A small rake, a scoop, and a knife/weed cutter. A notched area on the opposite end serves as a small set of shears. Plated steel.

Ethan wrench tool, from Italy. A very well built multitool from the 1950's. An adjustable spanner wrench with four folding tools. Notice the "teeth" in the jaws, which in a pinch allows it to be used as pliers. 

Perhaps Leatherman should consider adding an updated version of this to their line? :pok: :whistle:

German tool kit. A hollow handle with numerous interchangeable bits inside. Similar tools more commonly seen with a screw-on cap at the base of the handle, but this is the only one I've ever seen with swinging side panels. Only markings are Made In Germany.

Kingfish shears, made in Canada. A very strongly made set of shears. The bottom of one shear is a sharp knife, while the top of the other shear is a fish scaler.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: Vintage multitools from around the world
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:17:51 AM
Great finds Bob!  I really like the Verjoux tools and the Japanese gardening tool. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:29:35 AM by Yadda »
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:23:17 AM
Thanks for sharing. I love seeing old tools like this. Any idea on age of these?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:30:17 AM
Great vintage tools there Bob!

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:31:42 AM
Thanks for sharing. I love seeing old tools like this. Any idea on age of these?

Only educated guesses. :-\ The Kingfish tool is made of stainless steel, not generally used until the mid-1970's, so that would be an approximate date. And German tools made after WWII are almost always stamped Made In West Germany, so for that tool handle to be stamped only "Germany" would suggest it was made between the wars.

I've got an old advertisement somewhere for the Ethan tool from a 1950's magazine - Popular Mechanics I believe - which narrows that one down more than most. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:31 AM
Wow, that EOD tool is really cool! I've never seen any made of brass before. Very nice find indeed :salute:.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:09 AM
Those are some very interesting tools to say the least.  Its always fascinating to see the evolution of tools and or lineage.  Great pictures 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:21:12 AM
These are neat tools! I especially like the knife with the tiny wrench in it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%