Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Little Boy and Fat Man

JAfromMn · 921 · 77736

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Little Boy and Fat Man
Reply #840 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:50 AM
Whew, I managed to catch up.

Sucks to hear about the Little Boy. I have to agree with enki, it looks like a failure due to torque. Rust can not be the issue, as you see the shiny break planes and also how clean the joint portion is.

Maybe the driver hardend under stress so the bottom part (which looks like it's rounded out - a sign of an instantanious fracture) gave way. I only have a basic knowledge of metallurgy, so take this with a grain of salt.

I hope you enjoy working with Fat Man and the LM will take good care of you.

Thanks Rolling Thunder

and thanks for following

I'm happy to be working with the fat man again and I'm sure leatherman will take good care of me.

:multi:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #841 on: June 23, 2014, 04:32:10 PM
This is the last week of this 6 month review.

I'm a little sad its almost over but I'm excited to try some new tools.

I'm going to take a short break and Il be starting my next review a few weeks.
after this one ends.

thanks again everyone who has been following.

this has been fun.  :multi:

if you have anything you would like to see tested/questions with a rebar or st300 just ask.

id hate to end this review while someone still has questions
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:53:04 PM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #842 on: June 23, 2014, 05:21:32 PM
I guess my only questions are since I don't remember from the review - directed at ST300:

Did you use the awl?

Did you use all the flat drivers?

Did you use both blades as well as file and saw?

- and if so, how did it work for you?

SAW

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #843 on: June 23, 2014, 05:43:10 PM
I guess my only questions are since I don't remember from the review - directed at ST300:

Did you use the awl?

Did you use all the flat drivers?

Did you use both blades as well as file and saw?

- and if so, how did it work for you?

I did use all the tools on each tool except I don't think I ever used the small flat driver on the fat man

the awls work very well at making starter holes for screws on both plastic and wood.

the files I used to sharpen a few tools and the metal saw I used to cut some hose clamps. I was impressed how good it worked. That was the one tool I thought would suck but it actually worked very well.

all the blades were used to cut all kinds of different materials . Again I got to say leathermans 429 HC is some good steel. Its not great but it does hold a edge well and is very easy to sharpen. It does get damaged easily but it is also easy to fix.

I'm going to try get some action pics of the awl and file in use I don't think I got any in this review yet.

now that I think about it I may have used the small driver on fat man to remove some fuses but I can't remember. I may have used the awl.

I did alot of work with both tools and the only breakage was the flat driver on little boy. These two tools took alot of punishment.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #844 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:34 PM
This has been an interesting read for sure.  Keep up the good work Joel, and I look forward to your next round of testing :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

Reply #845 on: June 23, 2014, 06:54:10 PM
Just some random thoughts...

I also like their 420HC and whatever they use for the saw blade. I've used the Wave's saw much more than any Vics so can't compare those but I can vouch the Wave's saw works terrific.

I used my Rebar's awl to cut some new holes in my wife's new shoes and that worked pretty well.

I'm still concerned with the flimsiness of the Rebar's 2 main cutting blades and for this reason have not used them yet.

I've used both the Rebar's and the Wave's wire cutters on several occasions for cutting things other than wire and they always perform well.

Since you're reviewing a MP600 next I will mention that its replaceable wire cutters are not as good as those on the Rebar. There is some looseness that causes them to bind up on certain materials.

That said, thanks for answering my Q's - I'm looking forward to your experience with the Gerber :D

SAW

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #846 on: June 23, 2014, 06:58:11 PM
Just some random thoughts...

I also like their 420HC and whatever they use for the saw blade. I've used the Wave's saw much more than any Vics so can't compare those but I can vouch the Wave's saw works terrific.

I used my Rebar's awl to cut some new holes in my wife's new shoes and that worked pretty well.

I'm still concerned with the flimsiness of the Rebar's 2 main cutting blades and for this reason have not used them yet.

I've used both the Rebar's and the Wave's wire cutters on several occasions for cutting things other than wire and they always perform well.

Since you're reviewing a MP600 next I will mention that its replaceable wire cutters are not as good as those on the Rebar. There is some looseness that causes them to bind up on certain materials.

That said, thanks for answering my Q's - I'm looking forward to your experience with the Gerber :D

thanks Steve

I used the blades on my rebar quite a bit.

I wouldn't dare pry anything with them but for straight on cutting they worked well. The thinness makes the great slicers.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #847 on: June 23, 2014, 11:46:07 PM
Easy day for the fat man.

it cut a little wire and I used the file to clean off some rust on a trailer house frame to make a good ground.

I stripped the wire with honest John the es4 he's way better at it than the fat man.

now I got another house to ready to move.

the site wasn't ready or it would have been moved today.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:47:55 PM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

Reply #848 on: June 23, 2014, 11:56:14 PM
That has me thinking, that my PS4 paired with a Classic or Rambler might be a good EDC and that would give me both types of file!
SAW

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #849 on: June 24, 2014, 12:02:27 AM
That has me thinking, that my PS4 paired with a Classic or Rambler might be a good EDC and that would give me both types of file!

that would make a good combo

classic and ps4 = :)

Defend the Hive!!!

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #850 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:05 AM
Wow, it's been 6 months already? Thanks for the in-depth and honest review!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #851 on: June 24, 2014, 04:14:57 AM
Wow, it's been 6 months already? Thanks for the in-depth and honest review!

Thanks AaronX

I enjoyed making it.

its been a good one.  :salute:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #852 on: June 24, 2014, 04:42:47 AM
Well I gotta tell you Joel, this thread convinced me to buy and carry a Rebar.  It's gotten a lot of carry time at work.  Going with me tomorrow in fact.  It doesn't see what you've put yours through, but it's not exactly babied either.  I sure like that tool.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #853 on: June 24, 2014, 04:57:12 AM
Well I gotta tell you Joel, this thread convinced me to buy and carry a Rebar.  It's gotten a lot of carry time at work.  Going with me tomorrow in fact.  It doesn't see what you've put yours through, but it's not exactly babied either.  I sure like that tool.  :tu:

I'm glad you like it Tom.
its a great tool for its size/cost.
I got to get mine fixed but its going to be in my edc rotation for a long time to come.

Defend the Hive!!!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #854 on: June 24, 2014, 02:42:18 PM
Love this thread - it's one of the reasons I bought my Rebar.  Great to see tools being used properly (and not just mucking about with them in your pocket like the rest of us ;) ).  Looking forward to seeing how your next review pans out.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #855 on: June 25, 2014, 01:08:08 AM
Love this thread - it's one of the reasons I bought my Rebar.  Great to see tools being used properly (and not just mucking about with them in your pocket like the rest of us ;) ).  Looking forward to seeing how your next review pans out.

thanks hiraethus

I hope your rebar works great for you.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #856 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:56 AM
The fat mans cap crimper plier head works excellent to pull codder pins.

he also cut some wire and that's about it.

he stayed in his skinith home for the rest of the day :)
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

Reply #857 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:52 AM
That's another use for my Charge TTi's crimper!  I hadn't thought of pulling pins before. Thanks Joel!!! :tu:
SAW

us Offline Rux

Reply #858 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:17 PM
JA, Leatherman should give you a kick back of some sort. I know of 5 Rebar's you helped sell with your review just from the posts in this thread. Considering the number of total views (20k+), I'd put that total realistically in the 50-100+ range and I think that's being conservative.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:10:13 PM by WildJ3 »

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #859 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:58 PM
I do these reviews for fun WildJ3 if I got paid in some way it might turn into a job

I work hard enough the way it is with my job now.   :D
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

Reply #860 on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:30 AM
The fact that the large blade got broken is not really new news. Those are pretty notorious for breaking and BTW, that's the same flat driver as found on the Wave and other LM's. I've found mine personally to be pretty tough for prying to driving screws or whatever but I think there's some that miss a good heat treating.

I wonder if there's any way LM could stress test some of the parts before adding them to their tools. I know this would add cost to the process but might be worth it for a decent tool.

SAW

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #861 on: June 26, 2014, 01:05:38 AM
The fact that the large blade got broken is not really new news. Those are pretty notorious for breaking and BTW, that's the same flat driver as found on the Wave and other LM's. I've found mine personally to be pretty tough for prying to driving screws or whatever but I think there's some that miss a good heat treating.

I wonder if there's any way LM could stress test some of the parts before adding them to their tools. I know this would add cost to the process but might be worth it for a decent tool.

Broken Blade ???

and I'm still surprised I broke that driver

I would like to see every tool past a test also. The way leathermans quality control is I don't think that it would ever happen .

I also agree I think there heat treatment may be hit and miss. It shattered more than broke. It was made to hard maybe .

fat man helped put in a water meter today I was. Leveling lots most of the day

it all pays the same :)
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

Reply #862 on: June 26, 2014, 01:40:03 AM
Typo there - I meant to say driver :salute:
SAW

us Offline Parkerpusher

Reply #863 on: June 26, 2014, 03:55:39 AM
JA, I'm new to this site.  Sorta.  I have been reading for about a week.  Carried pocket knives off and on with a Leatherman Kick on my belt for the last 7 or 8 years, until 3 weeks ago when the wife bought me a Rebar.  She saw me eyeing one in Wal-Mart while shopping for a gift for a local grad student.  I liked it because it reminded me of the old PST's that my friends carried in the 90's when I lived in Utah and worked in a woodworking shop.  Lots of black leather box sheaths on belts in that place. 

Started doing some homework online, after receiving the Rebar, to see what models Leatherman actually made nowadays (blows my mind what has changed), and stumbling across some forums discussing the Rebar.  Took me 3 nights before bed to read all of your thread and catch up here, but I have to say....it is what made me join here a few days ago.  Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it, and it helped me get to know you and other members here somewhat by reading your posts and their responses. 

Thanks for all the time and effort it took to share everything.
Do What's Next!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #864 on: June 26, 2014, 04:19:04 AM
JA, I'm new to this site.  Sorta.  I have been reading for about a week.  Carried pocket knives off and on with a Leatherman Kick on my belt for the last 7 or 8 years, until 3 weeks ago when the wife bought me a Rebar.  She saw me eyeing one in Wal-Mart while shopping for a gift for a local grad student.  I liked it because it reminded me of the old PST's that my friends carried in the 90's when I lived in Utah and worked in a woodworking shop.  Lots of black leather box sheaths on belts in that place. 

Started doing some homework online, after receiving the Rebar, to see what models Leatherman actually made nowadays (blows my mind what has changed), and stumbling across some forums discussing the Rebar.  Took me 3 nights before bed to read all of your thread and catch up here, but I have to say....it is what made me join here a few days ago.  Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it, and it helped me get to know you and other members here somewhat by reading your posts and their responses. 

Thanks for all the time and effort it took to share everything.

your very welcome Parkerpusher  :salute:

I hope the rebar works just as good for you as the kick.

thanks for posting Parkerpusher I like your name :tu:

ps

if I'm getting new members to join mto I really think I am doing something right.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:22:20 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Parkerpusher

Reply #865 on: June 26, 2014, 04:37:53 AM
JA, I hope it should work better....I work in construction and the kick felt much lighter duty than the rebar, I was always too gentle on it so as not to break something.  I was a little discouraged to see that your Rebar broke, I've been hard on mind since having it...but hopefully it's just a random thing. 

Do What's Next!

us Offline Parkerpusher

Reply #866 on: June 26, 2014, 04:40:20 AM
And yes, your presence on this site is awesome!  I've only been cruising here for a week, and I feel like we are friends....and isn't that the point?  Thanks again JA.
Do What's Next!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #867 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:57 PM
Just swapped out a fuel filter on a tractor. Fat mans small driver was used to get the new caskets in place.

sorry no pic it was a two hand job :)

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Roche

Reply #868 on: June 26, 2014, 10:25:58 PM
sorry no pic it was a two hand job :)

That would cost another twenty...

us Offline sawman

Reply #869 on: June 26, 2014, 10:27:50 PM