Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKwiki search gone?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
SAKwiki search gone?
on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:08 PM
Do you still see the search function? And if not, when did it disappear?

I'm interested to know which wiki members groups can see it. Shalom directed my attention to that and today as I haven't noticed it myself. It was not visible for anonymous users but registered users, editors and admins could see it above the Vic and Wenger layers menus.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Re: SAKwiki search gone?
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:41 PM
I can't see it anymore

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:10:18 PM
I can't see it anymore

do you know since when?

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:54 PM
I can't see it anymore

do you know since when?

No, sorry.
I logged into the wiki few times in the past days, and I didn't pay attention to it.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:35:11 PM
I can't see it either, I don't know when it happened I only realized when I checked after seeing your post.

Oh, and I'm in the UK & using firefox if that helps at all.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:46:24 PM
Nope, location, browser or operating system shouldn't have anything to do with it.

It probably happened during one of the software updates or while adding the Delémont line. I tried flipping a few switches but nothing helped. I'll refrain from doing anything else for now until Francis has a look at it as he's got more experience with that side of the wiki.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:10:32 PM
Francis needs to sort out the fracas? :think:  :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:11 PM
I'm not so sure.  Can someone check again.  The Search is there for me right now, and I checked it was also there when I added the catalog.  I'll check if it's a permission's thing, but if it was it should not have affected Nikola.  I checked Firefox and IE.  You have to be logged-in to see the on-site search-box.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:08 PM
I'm not affected, I can see it just fine. Shalom messaged me that he can't see it anymore so I checked. I made another test account to test it as a regular registered user and don't see it. Basilio as an editor can't see it either while logged in. So currently it's only visible to admins. :-\

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:25:57 PM
It's gone since a few weeks. I noticed it but then I forgot to tell you. I still can't see it now.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:32 PM
OK That makes sense, that what I figured may be the case, but can't remember the password for my test account off the top of my head.  I was confused though when you reported it.

A software upgrade my have changed the permissions, or changed the category it is under and thus changing it's permissions, if you were not switching things.  I't's kind of ugly, but I'll see if I can get it back.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:54 PM
Should be fixed for all users.  Seems like a few permissions have been changed on purpose or by accident, I'm usually the only one that messes with this stuff.  I'll try to do a clean sweep on the weekend, and put things back.  It's not easy to manage these so if anything goes haywire let me know. 

:cheers:

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:49 AM
I have had some problems with the wiki recently (for example, not being able to edit specific pages or not being able to access the gallery).
Nikola helped me as much as he could, but there are few things that should probably be checked.
For example, I can not upload anything apart from pictures, so I had to send the pdf catalogs to Nikola.
May I suggest to start considering a major upgrade of the wiki software?
I'm not really expert on this, so unfortuantely I can't help much, but by the look the current software seems really old.
Perhaps there could be available newer versions much more user friendly (i.e. if I want, while editing, to start a new paragraph I just press the enter key instead of inserting some strange pp/pp1 code).

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:49:23 AM
Still not coming up for me, and I tried going through a search engine after clearing out my cookies.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:46 PM
Why was it only for members in the first place?  :think:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:52 PM
I have had some problems with the wiki recently (for example, not being able to edit specific pages or not being able to access the gallery).
Nikola helped me as much as he could, but there are few things that should probably be checked.
For example, I can not upload anything apart from pictures, so I had to send the pdf catalogs to Nikola.
I'm not really expert on this, so unfortuantely I can't help much, but by the look the current software seems really old.
Perhaps there could be available newer versions much more user friendly (i.e. if I want, while editing, to start a new paragraph I just press the enter key instead of inserting some strange pp/pp1 code).
The uploading of the PDF's i think I've always left as restrictied because that's a backdoor for hackers if they know how to take advantage of it.  I've been thinking about decreasing the requiement to be logged in for downloads, and I will consider file/pdf uploads for page-editors now that we have some experience with putting PDFs on the website and have not run into any major problems.

While lots of different wiki software (including ours) has wysiwyg editors there are problems using those, as explicit formatting can be lost when switching between the different editors and things can get messed up fast. It's just the natire of the Wiki, I think the software is fine, but I know others don't find it so.  Once we create a page it stays pretty static and using cut and past makes editing quite easy.  I keep a scratch-pad for all the little standard things I need.  I use 3 different Wiki systems and keeping them straight is difficult, most systems that are really different from ours use a different language even though they are called a Wiki.  Having to convert all the pages does not sound like fun, and I don't see many automated tools for moving between wiki Vendors.  The software we have has been very stable, to me that's the most important.  Unfortuately we had to restrict logins and page edits to make it so.

What would be nice is software that adapts to mobile use better, that's why I'm trying different layouts in different sections.  I like it to look good on the iPad atleast in not the iPhone.  I'm sure theire will be a remake one day but 90% of the value is in the information that is already there.  I may try hosting some videos since there have been more videos showing up at are useful.  Might see about embedded videos on the links page to start with.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:54 PM
Why was it only for members in the first place?  :think:
Just another incentive to be a member.  :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:53:49 PM
Still not coming up for me, and I tried going through a search engine after clearing out my cookies.

Anyone else still having this issue?

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:18 PM
Works again for me  :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:52:18 PM

Do you have a SAKwiki account? Are you logged in? It's only visible to members. And it's a different account from the MTO one. You have to create a new one on the wiki.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 10:16:38 PM
Should be fixed for all users.  Seems like a few permissions have been changed on purpose or by accident, I'm usually the only one that messes with this stuff.  I'll try to do a clean sweep on the weekend, and put things back.  It's not easy to manage these so if anything goes haywire let me know. 

:cheers:

Might be a combination of both a software update and me changing some permissions a while back. We don't notice those things as nothing changes for us or we don't encounter any restrictions, but Carlo has had problems editing some pages for a few months now. Not all, just some.

And the Wenger file gallery was also restricted. No one could download the PDFs you uploaded. I mentioned that in the Wenger love thread when I uploaded the European catalogs.

We've been talking about the software change for a long time now. The best option would be the Mediawiki software that Wikipedia uses. The current Tiki Wiki software we use it large and bloated with features we don't use and not so easy to operate. For instance it even incorporates a complete forum software, a feature we obviously are not using as we have a forum right here. ;)

If we decided on a move it wouldn't be an easy one as all the SAK pages, tool pages, indexes, ... would have to be re-coded. 600+ pages and growing, and all the connections within the wiki, to related SAKs, links to pictures, ...

Not a one or two man job and would probably take a few months and a lot of organisation/coordination. I for one would prefer the mediawiki software, but we'd have to really do some work to incorporate it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:19:04 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:29:49 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot to say,

Thanks for handling this, Francis. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:49:02 PM

Do you have a SAKwiki account? Are you logged in? It's only visible to members. And it's a different account from the MTO one. You have to create a new one on the wiki.

Ah,  :oops: :-[ :-[ sorry guys

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 03:32:21 AM
Carlo, do you have an example of a page you still can't edit?

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 12:17:30 PM

I will test and report here.
-----
Some informations you might find useful.
The last problem I had was with the Wenger skier page.
Everytime I tried to edit I got this message
"Error Plugin execution pending approval
This plugin was recently added or modified. Until an editor of the site validates the parameters, execution will not be possible
".
After some testing, I found myself what was going on.
The page had some strange TAG to have bigger fonts, and that gave the above message.
Removing the TAG, solved the problem.
Before I had a problem with a different page, but I can't remember now.
Nikola solved the problem, and I think it was related to some authorization on my account.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 12:25:36 PM

I will test and report here.
-----
Some informations you might find useful.
The last problem I had was with the Wenger skier page.
Everytime I tried to edit I got this message
"Error Plugin execution pending approval
This plugin was recently added or modified. Until an editor of the site validates the parameters, execution will not be possible
".
After some testing, I found myself what was going on.
The page had some strange TAG to have bigger fonts, and that gave the above message.
Removing the TAG, solved the problem.
Before I had a problem with a different page, but I can't remember now.
Nikola solved the problem, and I think it was related to some authorization on my account.

I don't think the TAG code had much to do with it. :think: I think it's a thing with old pages having/had different permissions. There was also the Classic 66 page from 6'th of December. Francis, you were included in that group PM.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 12:33:02 PM

I don't think the TAG code had much to do with it. :think: I think it's a thing with old pages having/had different permissions. There was also the Classic 66 page from 6'th of December. Francis, you were included in that group PM.

Nikola, I'm 100% sure the problem was with the TAG, as when I removed it I was able to edit the part of the page describing the knife.
It was not possible to add anything to the description without removing the TAG code.
You can see it here

il Offline Shalom

Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 12:44:12 PM
Thursday morning (Israel time) I emailed the following to enki_ck :
Success !
The Search for Search is over !
10 minutes to  6  AM  I checked and it's as I remembered.
Well Done ,and thank you again for your time and trouble.
Shalom from Israel

I checked again now and it's there and working .
If it's not Kirk (for goodness sake , what did he do to deserve all the automatic blaming ?)
then it must be ....jimyleee

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 06:53:38 PM
I did some further testing and found the TAG for bigger fonts, which prevent any edit on the knife description section, on three 65mm models (Bernina Mini Spot Light, Bottle Mate and Chairman).
I removed the TAG on all of them.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 01:43:09 AM
Yes, no mystery here.  When the software was updated a couple years back due to hackers the new software was more secure and by default unsafe plugins, such as TAG, must be approved by adminstrator if their content is changed. This is know my the adminstrators, but Nicola started after this time.

On Knife pages the solution was to just remove this tag, as it's not reallt part of the new layout/look.  It might exist on 1 or two pages where it should stay for now if it does to great text of the desired size.  These are pages you would not need to edit if they still exist.  Changes are they can removed there also with some change in layout.

The good news is this is nothing new, so no cause for concern.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%