Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recruit vs. Climber

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Recruit vs. Climber
on: January 02, 2014, 05:11:31 PM

I currently have a Recruit that I edc but sometimes yearn for scissors so I have learned that the Climber is similar to the Recruit plus scissors, corkscrew and the awl. Are these two similar in size or is the Climber going to be one layer up size wise? Or is it worth it just to upgrade to a Super Tinker?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Recruit vs. Climber
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:20:32 PM
The Climber and Super Tinker are the same size, only difference being the corkscrew/phillips.

The Recruit it of the 84mm size, the Climber/Super Tinker are 91mm. Also, indeed, they're both a layer wider, for the scissors.

If you don't want to go (much) wider than the Recruit, and you can live with the combo tool, you could have a look at the Compact, which is also 91mm long.

There are no more 84mm SAKs with scissors in production anymore, and the old ones are highly collectible, so your best guess for scissors would be the 91 mm ones.

Or you could have a look at Wengers ;) Their "full sized" SAKs are 85mm long (just one mm longer than the recruit) and, though having another type of scissors, are pretty much as good ;)

For more info, take a look at [size=78%]http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php[/size]
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:22:20 PM
The Recruit is an 84mm SAK, as opposed to the 91mm of the Climber or Super Tinker.  Both are also another layer wider.  If you're looking for scissors, both the Climber and Super Tinker are excellent knives.  The only difference between the two is the corkscrew on the Climber vs the Phillips on the Tinker.  The Super Tinker was my EDC for a long time, great knife.  :tu:

EDIT: I gotta type faster.  :facepalm:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:07 PM
The Recruit is an 84mm SAK, as opposed to the 91mm of the Climber or Super Tinker.  Both are also another layer wider.  If you're looking for scissors, both the Climber and Super Tinker are excellent knives.  The only difference between the two is the corkscrew on the Climber vs the Phillips on the Tinker.  The Super Tinker was my EDC for a long time, great knife.  :tu:

Hey, that's what I said! I think... Right? :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:24:23 PM

Hey, that's what I said! I think... Right? :facepalm:

Yep!  You posted while I was typing.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:06:45 PM
To keep things a little smaller than the Climber, and nearer your Recruit, why not have a look at a Wenger SAK?  Wenger SAKs are almost exactly the same length as you Recruit, and are still relatively slim even with the added scissors layer.  Though to keep it as slim a possible I'd avoid anything with 'Evo' scales as these add a but of unnecessary thickness.  have a look for the Wenger Traveler.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
Wenger scissors suck. Stay with Victorinox. Hope Victorinox is doing away with the Wenger scissors design.

My Vote is for a Compact/84mm Golfer which I mention in your post over in the General section.
Unless the awl is important then a Climber would fit the bill.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 08:00:03 PM
I had no problem with the Wenger Scissors. Here was how they faired in my scissor test.
http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/recruit-vs-climber/?action=post;last_msg=822754

They are far, FAR from sucking. They are, however, not quite as good as Vic's.

The only problem I have with the notion of getting a Wenger Traveler is that I can't find then for anything like the cost of a Vic Climber.

I picked up a Climber while away from home in late October, and used it for about a month. It performed admirably, and I would highly recommend it. Or, the Super Tinker. I don't find a need for either cork screw OR phillips all that often, so they amount to about the same thing for me.

I'd say get the Climber with the awesome Silvertech scales. They're frickin' SWEET! :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:09:09 PM
Of the two scissor designs I prefer the Victorinox ones myself, but I don't think that makes the Wenger one is bad at all.  Some folks even rate them better.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:03 AM
My words might have been harsh but I'm sticking to them. The scissors are what kept me from purchasing more Wengers. They don't cut it (pun intended) like the Vic scissors.

If Victorinox puts their design in the Wenger models then I might just get me a re-branded Wenger.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:21:52 AM
My words might have been harsh but I'm sticking to them. The scissors are what kept me from purchasing more Wengers. They don't cut it (pun intended) like the Vic scissors.

If Victorinox puts their design in the Wenger models then I might just get me a re-branded Wenger.

Could you explain why you think they suck?

Also keep in mind they are 85mm as compaired to 91mm vics, makes a difference.

I prefer them in some aplications, in others vics fair better.

And they will never go dull, no matter how hard you abuse them.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:37:11 AM
I find that Victoriox scissors cut finer and more precisely. But Wenger scissors are tougher and are more like mini tin snips. Both have their place.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:09 AM
If you get a Wenger Traveller (which is one of the greatest saks) make sure to get one with riveted scissors.  The Wenger scissors are under constant pressure when opened and I find that the screwed ones get worn out quickly (they end up getting loose and having too much lateral play which affects their effectiveness).  The riveted ones are newer, less likely to be worn and have a more robust design.

Wengers can even take the Vic mini screwdriver.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:22:02 AM by papercut »
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 05:23:09 AM
Oh yeah, the recruit is a great whilting knife as it has no backtools to bite the hand.  Keep it around for sure.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

gb Online Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 05:27:25 AM
The only problem I have with the notion of getting a Wenger Traveler is that I can't find then for anything like the cost of a Vic Climber.

This is true here as well. The Vics are remarkably good value for money. I guess it's economy of scale that makes them cheaper than equivalent Wenger SAKs.   :think:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 06:29:57 AM
This is true here as well. The Vics are remarkably good value for money. I guess it's economy of scale that makes them cheaper than equivalent Wenger SAKs.   :think:

That's the only thing I can figure as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%