Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Myth Shotgun Hunting Tool

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Myth Shotgun Hunting Tool
on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
Something came in the mail today. A Gerber Myth.

The Myth is a plierless hunting tool designed squarely at the waterfowler. This one reminds me very much of the AVID Design Ultimate Turkey Tool...only somewhat less refined in features. Whereas the Turkey tool has a neat transformer sheath that turns into a Turkey hauler, the Gerber Myth only gives you this nylon lanyard. Where your supposed to store the lanyard, or the Myth is also a question. I guess you will have to pack it with the rest of your hunting gear.

The idea is to loop that nylon lanyard around the Myth in such a fashion that the Myth turns into a handle. Not very elegant compared to other similar tools out there.

On the plus side, all the tools are rock solid with no play. You get a nice knife, saw, pin punch, and shotgun wrench. The Wrench is nicely done and well labeled.

The shotgun wrench only deploys 90 degrees to give you maximum torque. There is a metal stopper to prevent any other position other than closed or open.

At least it is well labeled.

My biggest complaint other than lack of innovation is the back lock. In order to unlock any tool, you have to press back the locking mechanism all the way to the open position...and there sure did use a stiff enough spring here. I found myself struggling a few times to unlock a blade. Maybe this will weaken with time, but I am a big guy and I found it a PITA to always look at the darn thing to accomplish something as simple as to unlock a tool.

Here is another distinction between two similar tools. That Avid Design Turkey tool has one of those hard metal rulers that fold into sections. It may not be as simple as pulling a tape measure out, but it does have the added bonus of staying put where you leave it. I am no bird hunter, but I would imagine that having a measuring tool that doesn't require one to fiddle with it and then having to fiddle with it once again on the off chance that you let it go might just be a bonus...especially if one takes into account the cold inclement weather. So in short, the pull out 1 foot long tape measure kinda sucks compared to the other tool. Just saying.

In conclusion, the Gerber Myth is a bit dodgy compared to the Avid Design Ultimate Turkey Tool. It is well made however, and will do the job...just not as elegantly. I also have to wonder at the durability of that little pull out measuring tape. I know from past experiences that it is all too easy to over-pull them...which tends to break the fragile internal spring mechanism. At least this one has a red stop section imprinted on the tape for what good that will do. The use of a separate nylon lanyard for use with bird carrying task does lack finesse compared to the Avid Design tool. With that said, it is serviceable and would be better than nothing. Is this the right bird hunting tool for you...only you can decide.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Avid Design Ultimate Turkey Tool.

http://forum.multitool.org/general-tool-discussion/busy-around-here-of-late-a-few-more-items-arrived-today/msg346907/#msg346907
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:14:01 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Myth Shotgun Hunting Tool
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:27:49 PM
Thank you for showing this tool.

Can you d a comparison shot with a common reference (say a MP600) or postthe measurements?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:39:05 PM

There you go.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:52:35 PM
Thank you very much!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:47 PM
 :salute:

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:23 AM
  I like the square ish design but that is it! I'm glad to know, though, about the overall quality!

Need to take into consideration that it is a dedicated tool for a specific activity.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%