Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cross country SAK's.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Cross country SAK's.
on: January 03, 2014, 04:28:38 PM
Just got back from a cross country trip to California to spend time with some family for the holidays. It was a three week trip, and all knife duties were done by the classic on the keyring, a bantam in my pocket, and my old Wenger SI in a duffle bag. The combo tool on the bantam is an engineering wonder. It works on flat and phillips screws, cans, bottles, and does light prying. It opened lot of plastic packages of snacks on the road, and sliced up salad stuff very well.

I owen some other folding knives, but very rarely carry them. A SAK seems the perfect pocket knife. It's like having a bunch of options in one small tool.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Cross country SAK's.
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:31:04 PM
Last night, I opened a family size can of Tomato soup with the combo tool.  It ripped through that job like a dedicated opener. 

Like you, I'm very impressed.  :tu:

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:37 PM
I'm all for the Wenger SI, but is the combo tool on the Bantam really that good? I didn't like how it chewed up bottle caps, and I've found it to be a sub par screwdriver... How does it work on Philips?
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:54:47 AM
I'm all for the Wenger SI, but is the combo tool on the Bantam really that good? I didn't like how it chewed up bottle caps, and I've found it to be a sub par screwdriver... How does it work on Philips?

Yes, the Vic combo tool is that good. I've used it on cans, and I've never chewed up a bottle cap with it. Popped plenty of them right off, but it went easy. For use on phillips screws, I use the lower corner of the tool and insert the corner into the phillips. Works like a charm. I love that the combo tool does away with one whole layer, and makes for a very light weight edc pocket knife.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:07:13 PM

Yes, the Vic combo tool is that good. I've used it on cans, and I've never chewed up a bottle cap with it. Popped plenty of them right off, but it went easy. For use on phillips screws, I use the lower corner of the tool and insert the corner into the phillips. Works like a charm. I love that the combo tool does away with one whole layer, and makes for a very light weight edc pocket knife.

Just be judicious with the screwdriver use.  Like the Vic can opener/Phillips, you can twist it with a bit of excessive torque.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:26:38 PM

Just be judicious with the screwdriver use.  Like the Vic can opener/Phillips, you can twist it with a bit of excessive torque.

Of course. When I say prying, I mean things that senior citizen fingers can't do, or a thumb nail is not quite enough. With any tool there things are mounted on a pivot, careful is the watchword. I'm even judicious when using my Wenger SI or pioneer to open a can of putty. If you go slow and careful and your feel the tool flexing, you know your reached the limit of how much to push.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%