Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just Pliers?

tonyg · 16 · 1389

Offline tonyg

Just Pliers?
on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:21 PM
Got my first SOG recently, (Poweraccess) and the only thing I really like about it are the pliers. The rest of the tools, (except maybe the awl), mostly just annoy me: worthless file, rounded-off flatheads, flimsy clip, weird knife, etc.  Whenever I take it out and fiddle with it, I think, "now why couldn't have Leatherman made this multitool?"  Anyway, I thought the pliers would be a nice compliment to my SAK Fieldmaster.  My question: has anyone ever modded a multitool down to where it was simply a decent pair of portable pliers?  Or is this impulse just a result of my general dislike of my first, (and probably last) Sog multitool?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:58:10 PM by tonyg »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Just Pliers?
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:43 PM
So basically the end result would only differ from regular pliers in that the handles fold more compact when not in use?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline tonyg

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 12:03:56 AM
yeah.....edc pliers I guess.  Mostly thinking out loud regarding a new multitool that I'm not really happy with.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 12:07:42 AM
I have thought about doing this with a Leatherman Squirt. Much like your appraisal of the PowerAccess (which I was also disappointed with), the pliers are the main tool I like on the Squirt.

I also have a neck lanyard with assorted tools on, which is missing pliers. However, I don't want duplicate drivers, blades, or anything else that's already on there. A Squirt slimmed down to just pliers might be the perfect fit for that array.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:08:38 AM
I sometimes carry a leatherman mini and Ive never used anything on there except pliers so its essentially just like carrying a cool set of folding pliers to compliment a SAK.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 12:17:14 AM
If an even smaller travel safe plier is an option then I can say that I've been quite positively surprised by the Idltools t5 industrial multi-tool. Basically a tiny plier with a phillips and flat driver at the handle ends. No blade or pointy stuff so great for air travel.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 12:52:29 AM
I sometimes carry a leatherman mini and Ive never used anything on there except pliers so its essentially just like carrying a cool set of folding pliers to compliment a SAK.

(Image removed from quote.)
:cheers:  I completely agree with Syph.  I carry a Mini in the little "pocket watch" pocket anytime I am not wearing a belt.  I've used the file once but other than that it is mostly about the pliers. 

I have thought about doing this with a Leatherman Squirt. Much like your appraisal of the PowerAccess (which I was also disappointed with), the pliers are the main tool I like on the Squirt.

I also have a neck lanyard with assorted tools on, which is missing pliers. However, I don't want duplicate drivers, blades, or anything else that's already on there. A Squirt slimmed down to just pliers might be the perfect fit for that array.
Just a thought,  if you were thinking about removing duplicate tools from your Squirt so that you have a less heavy set of folding Squirt pliers, why don't you try the Style PS.  I believe the pliers are exactly the same and it only has scissors and a nail file and the body is all skeletonized to make it super light. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 01:54:23 AM

:cheers:  I completely agree with Syph.  I carry a Mini in the little "pocket watch" pocket anytime I am not wearing a belt.  I've used the file once but other than that it is mostly about the pliers. 

Just a thought,  if you were thinking about removing duplicate tools from your Squirt so that you have a less heavy set of folding Squirt pliers, why don't you try the Style PS.  I believe the pliers are exactly the same and it only has scissors and a nail file and the body is all skeletonized to make it super light.

Already playing with a different mod for the Style PS. The scissors kept crapping out, and I'm sick of sending them in for warranty replacement. I'm looking at trying a decent length Phillips, and a serrated sheepsfoot blade

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 01:57:14 AM
If an even smaller travel safe plier is an option then I can say that I've been quite positively surprised by the Idltools t5 industrial multi-tool. Basically a tiny plier with a phillips and flat driver at the handle ends. No blade or pointy stuff so great for air travel.

The T5 and T7 are excellent tools, let down by how easily they can do a Houdini on you. By the time you noticed they've escaped, it can be too late. However, I you come up with a better means of carry than on a keyring, they are really useful and reliable little tools.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:55 AM
The SOG CrossGrip pliers are stronger than expected for such a small MT (because of the geared mechanism).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 02:32:20 AM

Already playing with a different mod for the Style PS. The scissors kept crapping out, and I'm sick of sending them in for warranty replacement. I'm looking at trying a decent length Phillips, and a serrated sheepsfoot blade

that's a good idea.  When I first bought my Style PS, I planned to replace the scissors with the little blade from the Style CS.  I never use scissors. (shocking, I know)  But after carrying the PS for about a week I realized that I always use my EDC blade for almost everything I have to cut.  then I usually have a blade on a bigger MT.  So the work to swap out the scissors never happened for me because it just seemed like a hassle just to make a backup backup backup blade. 

Now the little PS scissors have grown on me because about once every couple months I find a situation where it would actually be better to use them over a blade.  I can imagine that if I used them a lot, they might break on me like you described.   :)

If you do that mod, Which side do you plan to use for the blade and which side for the phillips?  I can see it working differently both ways.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 03:04:29 PM
The ginormous Blacktip is carried on my EDC basically because of its unmatched pliers, unique in the MT world.
The SAK completes the set tool-wise

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 03:17:12 PM

That is my main way of thinking when I carry one as well :salute: Also the reason I made my modded SAK the way I did :tu: :like:

Regular sized folding pliers and a fully loaded SAK :dd:

Offline tonyg

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 03:33:48 PM
Poncho: what are the regular size folding pliers you carry with your fully loaded SAK?  Also, could you give a link to the modded SAK you referred to?  thanks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 06:15:27 PM
Poncho: what are the regular size folding pliers you carry with your fully loaded SAK?  Also, could you give a link to the modded SAK you referred to?  thanks

I carry anything from the  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh to the Surge ;)

I will get a link to my mod in just a minute :tu: It is essentially a Vic Ranger with the Phillips/Mag layer and the inline awl of the 93mm alox SAKs in.place of the small blade :dd: :D

That SAK just puts me into a place that I can carry any MT I pretty much want to on a whim and still have all the tools I possibly could need :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 06:17:14 PM
Link for my Master Ranger  :salute: The whole thread is a great read but my finished mod is toward the end of it :salute:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69140.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD