Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kirks slip joint field test

kirk13 · 127 · 12282

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Kirks slip joint field test
on: January 05, 2014, 07:34:17 PM
This thread is a semi long term test of gentleman's folders. Its a direct result of this thread
http://forum.multitool.org/edged-tools/small-uk-legal-folder/
I was surprised at how little love the small Spydies recieved,ecpxvepting the cheap as chips Grasshopper.

One result of the thread was that I realised I much prefer the more classically styled slipjoints over the more modern/tactical interpretations. The next result was that I ordered a Case Mini Trapper off Amazon :facepalm:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000RZ7HYU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although the Case was a good price,some £20ish under the usual UK prices,I must confess to having wondered if the Case could justify the price. I've subsequently ordered a Rough Rider Peanut,a Rough Rider Gunstock Rifleman,and a Buck Deuce. What I'll do is carry each knife for a week,deputising for my SAK,and Alox Boxer. For fun,I'll add my Wenger Patriot,that played a supporting role in my Fit test,for a week as well.

Terms of reference

Each knife has two blades,generally,one long,one short. The short will be the dirty blade,doin fall the shop floor related cutting. The clean blade will take all the food related duties. I'll include kitchen duties too,just to keep things interesting .

Each knife will be carried for one week. Ratings will be given on Cost,Fit and Finish,Blades,Family and Friends reaction,and a Love rating.

As with the Fit test,shop floor photos ARE NOT possible. Other action photos will be supplied as and when. Unlike the Fit test,I'm not trying daily updates,but rather supplying comments and remarks as and when appropriate.

So far only the Rough Riders have showed up. Well done Heinnies,ordered 30/12/13, delivered 31/12/13! The Case was ordered 12/12/13,albeit from the States,and the Deuce,on the same day as the Rough Riders from OutdoorUK :facepalm:

The test will start tomorrow with the Rough rider Peanut :popcorn:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Kirks slip joint field test
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:16 PM
 :tu: Looking forward to the result, this is the best kind of thread.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:52:10 PM
:tu: Looking forward to the result, this is the best kind of thread.

+1  :popcorn:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:02 PM
Thanks gents. I have to admit I'm looking forward to this test. I've already fallen for the RR Peanut big time!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:00:25 PM
To get the ball rolling,here's some beauty shots of the Rough Riders

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:18:42 PM
Looking forward to this test. :popcorn:

That rifleman looks :drool:

Sent from a device made from star dust using Tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37:49 PM
I'm looking forward to this too mate! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:41:35 PM
Looking forward to it. Will you use a benchmark? Will you do repeated runs of the same type of work, how will you judge the performance, will you measure the thickness behind the edge or the edge angle, will oyu make a relative comparison of ease of sharpening with specific values or eyeballing?
damn I've been spending too much time on one other forum...
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:09 PM
Ive had a few case knives and rr's and the fit n finnish was just as good on the rr,im looking forwards to your thoughts john  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:55 PM
Looking forward to this test. :popcorn:

That rifleman looks :drool:

+1

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Watching with iterest Kirk  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:58:44 PM
Looking forward to it. Will you use a benchmark? Will you do repeated runs of the same type of work, how will you judge the performance, will you measure the thickness behind the edge or the edge angle, will oyu make a relative comparison of ease of sharpening with specific values or eyeballing?
damn I've been spending too much time on one other forum...

Er yes,yes you have...remember,even though this is a John thread rather than a Kirky thread,I'm still Kirk :fuggly:

To try give rational answers....

The basic benchmarks are 91 and 93mm SAKs. My usual work cutting knife is my TattooSteve99 custom Alox
http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/the-boxer/msg642973/#msg642973

It pretty much eats up any cardboard box,or lacking strap it meets.

If anything needs sharpening,I'll use my Lansky,and I'll detail the angles as and when,otherwise I carry one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-4-3323-Pocket-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000AR7AKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388951836&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox+sharpener

As to relative values in ease of sharpening or use,it's an eyeballing type thing :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:35 PM
Ive had a few case knives and rr's and the fit n finnish was just as good on the rr,im looking forwards to your thoughts john  :tu:

Cheers Paul,JD said much the same. A lot of what this test is about is whether a high value slippie is any better than a cheaply China job.

Thanks to everybody else for the interest :tu:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:15 PM
Thread is bookmarked, and I am eagerly awaiting further posts   :popcorn:
If I can help, let me know 

hr Offline styx

Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:32 PM
That is gonna be interesting. And might also show how well that pocket sharpener works
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:08:13 PM
Week one: Rough Rider Peanut

Sooooo....things started a bit earlier than planed. On New Years Eve, I'd been using the Peanut for boxing duties at work,so sorry,I have been fibbing a bit.

So how did it you? Initially not that well. RR knives come reasonably sharp out of the box,but the small blade of the Peanut wasn't cutting it. Well,wasn't cutting cardboard over well. However a few swipes through the Vic sharper rectified that. Whilst the Peanut didn't slice the cardboard as well as the Boxer,that's more down to the smaller size of the Peanut,and the lack of hook in the blade.

Tonight,the Peanut ventured into the kitchen for food prep duties. Got to say I'm really impressed. The Peanut chopped its way through a small onion,two Baby sweet peppers,half a pack of sugar snap peas,chorizo and three chestnut mushrooms with great aploom. In fairness,if it had been regular sized onions and peppers,it would have struggled,only having a two inch blade.

So far,I am so impressed with this £8 knife!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:50 PM

I'm looking forward to this too mate! :)

Me too. Will be interesting to see the results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 12:21:23 AM
Making this post just so I don't miss the updates. :D  I'm a fan of the Rough Rider's I've had, and my Case, so I hope these work for you as well. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 03:10:43 AM
Thanks John, now I have the urge to carry a.... Wait...  :think:  This actually might be a bit my fault....  ::)  :)  I think that RR's are great knives for the money.  As users I am very happy with them.  :tu:  My slipjoints, though an everyday part of my carry, tend not to be my main working blade.  I use them all the time if something needs to be opened or cut while on the sales floor or around customers though.  The Peanut is a great little pattern, though lately I've been carrying a Case penknife more than the 'nut.  Slightly longer main blade in a slimmer package.  And like I've said, the Case medium Trapper is one of my absolute favorite traditionals to carry.  :tu:  Looking forward to seeing how you get along with this experiment.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:14:04 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 06:21:57 AM
...lately I've been carrying a Case penknife more than the 'nut.  Slightly longer main blade in a slimmer package.

My first knife ever was a Case pen knife.  I still have it, and though I don't carry it much any more, it is still a great little knife.  I also like how it feels a bit more balanced and symmetrical than the peanut.

Not to totally derail the thread; I'm looking forward to reading Kirky's results as well.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:39 PM
Not a very exciting day at Blamington Hall,in terms of sharp and shinies. Still no sign of the Buck or the Case :rant:. If the Buck doesn't show up tomorrow,I think it'll be irate email time :wait:

Anyway,for want of anything more interesting to say,let's have a closer look at the Rough Rider Peanut.

As said before,it was ordered from Heinnies,for £7.95 ex postage....you just couldn't complain at that price! If you'd never owned a Rough Rider before,you'd be wondering how good the quality is. The blades are 440 stainless,and are nicely polished. Unusually,I needed to run it through my Vic sharpener at work to get the blades up to fully useable sharpness,but given that they only needed three sweeps,they weren't that far off the mark. Snap is good. It lacks the satisfying clunk of a Victorinox,but is positive both opening and closing. It inspires confidence :tu:

The scales are listed as being jiggled bone,whether they're real or synthetic I don't know,but they feel good to the touch! As to the fit and finish? Well see for yourselves...

I love the little name badge. It's beautifully detailed,and just adds oddles of character to the knife. I know I've already said this,but the little Peanut has won my heart! Its performance in the kitchen last night impressed me no end! There's at least one more of these I'd like...I'll just have to see if there's a way to get it out of the States :think:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:38:22 PM
I've had a couple of RR's and I'm baffled how they can make such a good knife, ship it across half the planet and still make a profit ??? :)

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:40:59 PM
I've had a couple of RR's and I'm baffled how they can make such a good knife, ship it across half the planet and still make a profit ??? :)

Honestly Mike, so am I.  Right now I have a RR Barlow in my pocket at work, and I'll put it up against any Case or Queen I have as a user......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 09:21:39 PM

Honestly Mike, so am I.  Right now I have a RR Barlow in my pocket at work, and I'll put it up against any Case or Queen I have as a user......

+1 :tu:
I am really impressed with RR's knives. Almost all I have had are well built, solid and great users.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:14 PM
The Barlow I'm carrying today is actually the one I got from your giveaway, Grathr.  :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 12:58:17 AM
There's at least one more of these I'd like...I'll just have to see if there's a way to get it out of the States :think:

If you need help with that, let me know.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:33 AM
There's at least one more of these I'd like...I'll just have to see if there's a way to get it out of the States :think:

If you need help with that, let me know.

Thank you Nate,thats much appreciated :salute:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:14 AM

The Barlow I'm carrying today is actually the one I got from your giveaway, Grathr.  :tu:

:tu:   :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 07:41:38 AM
The rifleman range has very sexy jigging on the scales and is considerd a "premium" RR brand. (hint-> box)
I find the one you have, with the squared bolsters, very intersting.

I have tried using a peanut but I find that the minimum for me is the mini toothpick (some come with two blades too). The peanut's blades and its body are just too small.
I like the peanut's big brother, the barlow.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:08 AM

I guess it just shows how much profit Case (and other knife makers) is raking in, even with their higher operating cost.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:30 PM
Nothing much to say about today's day at work...the Peanut rode very comfortably in my pocket,took on a couple of boxes without any trouble :tu:

Big news is that the Buck Deuce arrived today :mail:...or rather  :facepalm:

Not best impressed in how long it took AllOutdoors took to deliver the Deuce :wait:

And just to add insult to injury,the Deuce isn't the knife I thought it would be :rant: Turns out its a China built 305,not the bigger 309 :facepalm: On the up side,it's well built,fit and finish are good,it's got a nice edge on the blades,and if I'm to be honest? Its a darling little thing :D,just wish it were bigger.

Pictures in a bit

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%