Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help identify SAK

Offline 13rus

Help identify SAK
on: January 07, 2014, 01:35:55 AM
Can anyone help identify this SAK? All markings are good (Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei, opposite Officier Swisse with cross/crossbow).

Looks to be a Climber, with ring attachment but NO toothpick and NO tweezers. Next to it is a modern Climber.
Insignia on the SAK in question is metal, NOT printed, ruling out the Climber Economy (?). Smooth finish.

I thought only early model Spartans had no toothpick or tweezers? And Spartans had no scissors. And all Climbers had toothpicks and tweezers? Am puzzled.

Can anyone ID this SAK and estimate the manufacture date range? I am a beginning collector/restorer and it would be nice to know what I got :)

Thank you!
sak.JPG
* sak.JPG (Filesize: 410.39 KB)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:45:11 AM by 13rus »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Help identify SAK
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:04 AM
Thats a good one, not sure but I want to say traveller, but those had T&T.

Hopefully jazzbass will be along soon with the answer.  :whistle:

Welcome to MTO!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:39 AM

from SAKWiki

"It was also known earlier as the Traveller in a no-keyring variation."

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Climber
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:50:17 AM
Ok here is my best guess.  Its an early climber but with early spartan scales! :D 

Seriously though jazzbass will know exactly what/if/when that existed, who made it and the rich history.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline 13rus

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:10 AM
Awesome, thank you people! :) It looks like the scales are factory and it does have the keyring.

Scissors with screw.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:00:07 AM
It's a Climber and looks to be made in the 1983-1985 time frame. Not 100% on this as the pictures are pretty grainy, but definitely a Climber from the 1977-1985 time frame.

While today it's pretty rare, Victorinox used to make several models (Spartan, Tinker, Climber, Camper) with and with the toothpick/tweezers. This was VERY common in the early days when it was a not-insignificant amount of work to hand cut a toothpick and tweezer groove and make the implements themselves. Today the cost is almost negligible due to the economies of scale so all modern knives have them. The mid 1980s is when you start to see the trend of making celidor knives w/o toothpick and tweezers die out.

Offline 13rus

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 06:10:43 AM
Thank you very much jazzbass! This shines good light on the mystery :)

I have two other Climbers - one modern and one early model with toothpick/tweezers. The main differences between the early model that I have had forever and the one in question (the one lacking tp/tw), aside from lack of tp/tw are:

1. Insignia is thicker on the 'one sans tp/tw'.
2. Awl is different - thicker on the 'one sans tp/tw', and the tip on it is ground at an angle, whereas on my early model the awl is 'conventional'.
3. Awl spring is straight inside on the 'one sans tp/tw' and has an upward curve in other models.

I am attaching additional photos. Thanks again! Great to have your depth of knowledge on this forum!

It's a Climber and looks to be made in the 1983-1985 time frame. Not 100% on this as the pictures are pretty grainy, but definitely a Climber from the 1977-1985 time frame.

While today it's pretty rare, Victorinox used to make several models (Spartan, Tinker, Climber, Camper) with and with the toothpick/tweezers. This was VERY common in the early days when it was a not-insignificant amount of work to hand cut a toothpick and tweezer groove and make the implements themselves. Today the cost is almost negligible due to the economies of scale so all modern knives have them. The mid 1980s is when you start to see the trend of making celidor knives w/o toothpick and tweezers die out.
sak2.jpg
* sak2.jpg (Filesize: 311.2 KB)
sak1.jpg
* sak1.jpg (Filesize: 364.18 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62