Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tinker Search

gb Offline daverobson

Super Tinker Search
on: January 07, 2014, 05:41:15 PM
I've finally decided to add a 3 layer 91mm SAK to my small collection.
I'm deciding between a Climber or Super Tinker (do i need a corkscrew or phillips?)

In the U.K. there is plenty choice for Climbers but I'm having trouble locating a Super Tinker,
there's one on Amazon UK which is sent from Germany.

Is there any particular reason that Super Tinkers don't exist in the U.K.?

Dave.

be Offline Wilfried

Re: Super Tinker Search
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:12:51 PM
@daverobson

14 left in stock at amazon.uk / £18.77 = 22.63 euro

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Super-Tinker-14-Functions/dp/B000MLU8PE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389114119&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox+super+tinker

At amazon.de / 17.85 euro shipping costs not included

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:15:41 PM by Wilfried »

us Offline austin83

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:23 PM
I'm deciding between a Climber or Super Tinker (do i need a corkscrew or phillips?)

I like the way the Tinker feels in the pocket with the Phillips screw driver sitting flush with the scale as opposed to the corkscrew sitting up higher.  However, I have always found the back spring Phillips almost worthless.  I carried a Climber or a Spartan for years with a mini-driver inside the corkscrew.  The small flathead on the can opener will tackle most Phillips heads. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:50:56 PM
Plus you can add a small screwdriver to the corkscrew and there's lots of uses for it.

Go Climber!

:tu: :tu:

(edit: must read the complete posts before submitting my own...)
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:52:44 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:54:54 PM
I think the comments on the mini screwdriver have made my mind up.

I'm going for one of these in Black! (Wish they did them in Black Nylon Scales)!

http://www.minitools.co.uk/products/victorinox/climber.htm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:58:49 PM by daverobson »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 06:58:58 PM
I've finally decided to add a 3 layer 91mm SAK to my small collection.

I had a run with only the Climber for a month.

I find that I missed the T-phillips more than I used the corkscrew. When there's wine around, there always seems to be a corkscrew. On the odd occasion when that's not the case, I always have the presences of mind to bring a SAK with corkscrew, because it is a real thrill to deploy it to the amazement of onlookers. One has to first plant a sense of panic that there's no corkscrew. Then, when things are really looking bad, loudly say: "Oh wait! I have a corkscrew on my Swiss Army Knife! :D "

It is true that the small screwdriver tip on the can opener will work as a #2 Phillips pretty often. But one can't apply a lot of torque to it, or it'll either slip out or fold up on you. The T-Phillips of the Super Tinker is a better tool for those tight Phillips'. (assuming the T-handle can reach in there.)

You might also consider the Spartan Lite model. In that model, one gives up the scissors in exchange for a proper in-line Phillips and an LED flashlight. While the scissors DO get used a lot when I'm packing a SAK with them, I have to admit that 95% of the time, a sharp knife blade would also do. In contrast, when you need a good Phillips, nothing else will do. You still keep the can opener. The LED light is not very bright, but in pitch darkness, it can be a real life-saver.

Lastly, if you don't have an Explorer, get one. I've gotten used to that fourth layer now, and I don't mind the one extra layer of thickness, and it is SO nice to have the inline Phillips AND scissors, while keeping a full complement of blades, openers, and flat screwdriver tips. One ebay seller in the US sells Explorer Plus' with one's initials stamped onto the main blade, and translucent scales.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:08:19 PM
I also sort of by accident did the Climber 30-day challenge.

I never needed a phillips the whole time. I also never needed the corkscrew. On virtually every occasion in the past year or two when I DID need a phillips, the can opener worked fine.

I bought a climber some time back, and just didn't feel like it was for me. Then in Late October, I went to Florida, by air, and needed to pick up a tool down there. The best value for money I could find was a Silvertech Climber.

It did a great job. I was quite pleased. I'll be keeping it now.  :climber:

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:10:51 PM

It is true that the small screwdriver tip on the can opener will work as a #2 Phillips pretty often. But one can't apply a lot of torque to it, or it'll either slip out or fold up on you. The T-Phillips of the Super Tinker is a better tool for those tight Phillips'. (assuming the T-handle can reach in there.)

Lastly, if you don't have an Explorer, get one. I've gotten used to that fourth layer now,

I had nearly gone for the Climber there & now you've stopped me!
I'll have to either give this more thought or just buy both!

As for the mention of a fourth layer, I have a Fieldmaster at the moment & just thought of going down to three layers for everyday pocket carry.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:54 PM
I strongly prefer the tinker, super tinker, and deluxe tinker to their corkscrew counterparts.  I will never need a corkscrew and it sticks out further than the phillips.  So while the phillips isnt perfect being a T handle, its better than a corkscrew.  Never missed the small driver, tip of the small blade works in a pinch.

Go Tinkers!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:55 PM
... the small driver, tip of the small blade works in a pinch.

:twak:

Grant: Please revoke this guy's MTo membership.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:40 PM
I have both and to be honest I have never used the corkscrew, as for a tight screw the can opener will fail. I say super tinker or like others said a inline Phillips.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 08:49:17 PM
I strongly prefer the tinker, super tinker, and deluxe tinker to their corkscrew counterparts.  I will never need a corkscrew and it sticks out further than the phillips.  So while the phillips isnt perfect being a T handle, its better than a corkscrew.  Never missed the small driver, tip of the small blade works in a pinch.

Go Tinkers!

This!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 04:21:43 AM
I'll weigh in on the side of the Climber over the Super Tinker.  I have and like both, but feel the corkscrew offers more functionality and versatility than the back side Phillips for general carry.  I've yet to come across a #1 or #2 Phillips screw I couldn't handle with the can opener due to tightness of the screw, so the only real added advantage of the back side Phillips is the ability to access recessed screws.  The corkscrew, besides the obvious task of opening wine bottles, is handy as a sort of marlin spike for untying knots, and also holds the useful mini-screwdriver.  Plus, if someone cuts you off in traffic, you can hold up your Climber and say, "(Cork)screw you!".   ;)  Climber FTW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 05:59:59 AM
I'll weigh in on the side of the Climber over the Super Tinker.  I have and like both, but feel the corkscrew offers more functionality and versatility than the back side Phillips for general carry.  I've yet to come across a #1 or #2 Phillips screw I couldn't handle with the can opener due to tightness of the screw, so the only real added advantage of the back side Phillips is the ability to access recessed screws.  The corkscrew, besides the obvious task of opening wine bottles, is handy as a sort of marlin spike for untying knots, and also holds the useful mini-screwdriver.  Plus, if someone cuts you off in traffic, you can hold up your Climber and say, "(Cork)screw you!".   ;)  Climber FTW

This is basically what I was going to say. I feel virtually the same. I personally use the corkscrew and mini driver in the corkscrew much more than the back side phillips. Im not saying the back side philips is useless but for me it basically is. With that said, the Deluxe Tinker rocks! I just wish it had a corkscrew.   :D
I'm the milk man!

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:14:50 AM
For me, it is a simple question:
As I am wearing glasses, I need the mini screwdriver. If one of the tiny screws gets loose, it is a safe bet that it will happen in public, on a long walk or somewhere else than home where your screwdrivers are.
Believe me when I say a knife tip would not be sufficient. I once had a glass fall into my ice coffee while being on a day-trip. No chance of reattaching it with the blade of my Classic  :ahhh Luckily I was with my GF who could drive us home.

So Corkscrew + Mini Screwdriver it is!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:47 AM
Im not saying the back side philips is useless but for me it basically is. With that said, the Deluxe Tinker rocks! I just wish it had a corkscrew.   :D

:pok: You need a Delux Climber
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Deluxe+Climber
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 02:06:03 PM
Super Tinker ALL THE WAY
Leatherman

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 02:22:57 PM
For me, it is a simple question:
As I am wearing glasses, I need the mini screwdriver. If one of the tiny screws gets loose, it is a safe bet that it will happen in public, on a long walk or somewhere else than home where your screwdrivers are.
Believe me when I say a knife tip would not be sufficient. I once had a glass fall into my ice coffee while being on a day-trip. No chance of reattaching it with the blade of my Classic  :ahhh Luckily I was with my GF who could drive us home.

So Corkscrew + Mini Screwdriver it is!

I had a lot of problems with my current set of glasses with the screws falling out until I put some threadlocker on. They've been fine since.

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 02:54:18 PM
I must have changed my mind a hundred times last night.
At one point I ordered a climber in black & two minutes later I cancelled the order!

Decision made:
SUPER TINKER

I can get one imported from Germany via Amazon UK

Now all I need to do is find a supplier for Black Nylon scales a bit closer to home.
$17 shipping from the U.S. is a bit much!

Thanks for all the replies Gents.

Dave

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 03:16:34 PM
Good decision Dave!

If you find you want a Climber later,well,they're not too expensive

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 03:28:24 PM

I like the way the Tinker feels in the pocket with the Phillips screw driver sitting flush with the scale as opposed to the corkscrew sitting up higher.  However, I have always found the back spring Phillips almost worthless.  I carried a Climber or a Spartan for years with a mini-driver inside the corkscrew.  The small flathead on the can opener will tackle most Phillips heads.

^ What he said.  :tu:

EDIT: DOH! I see you already made your decision.  May it serve you well!
- Terry

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 04:21:12 PM
I had a lot of problems with my current set of glasses with the screws falling out until I put some threadlocker on. They've been fine since.

Nice to know! I had no problem for years, than suddenly the screw got loose every 3 to 4 weeks. I screwed it back together every time, and suddenly they held on. Now it is been 3 years since this events without a problem  ???
It's just if it happens, a matching screwdriver is a lifesaver and I find it awesome to have one on my pocket knive :tu: (I also have the slight feeling, I might be drinking more wine and met than most people here  :drink:)

Either way, I congratulate Dave on his decision (We all know how hard this can be)!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:34 AM
I like the way the Tinker feels in the pocket with the Phillips screw driver sitting flush with the scale as opposed to the corkscrew sitting up higher.

If it bothers you, just turn the knife so the back side is away from your body, and you won't be able to tell whether the knife has the back side Phillips or corkscrew.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 02:11:17 PM
@daverobson

Good! I hope the Super Tinker will be a good companion to you!    :tu:

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:26 PM
@daverobson

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it arriving.

It's strange though that Super Tinkers are available in the U.S. & Europe but they don't exist in the U.K.!

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 02:40:04 PM
@daverobson

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it arriving.

It's strange though that Super Tinkers are available in the U.S. & Europe but they don't exist in the U.K.!

I believe it all boils down to what Victorinox decides on selling which models to certain regions and countries, but by what considerations they are led in doing so I simply don't know.    :think:

I'm certain that several members on this forum can tell you much more on this subject.    :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%