Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Partial Gerber Military Tech Kit ??

Offline 1gunsnotenough

Partial Gerber Military Tech Kit ??
on: January 11, 2014, 03:57:24 AM
I picked this up in local pawn shop today. I am assuming it is part of a Tech Kit. If so what all is missing and do any of you guys have extra parts so I can complete the set. This was in part of a large knife collection someone pawned. Looks like they have never been used. How much would these be worth. Want to see if I gave to much for them.
 Thanks

Here's a pic of my other addiction. Always looking for nice Ruger Mark IIs.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Partial Gerber Military Tech Kit ??
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:31 AM
I picked this up in local pawn shop today. I am assuming it is part of a Tech Kit. If so what all is missing and do any of you guys have extra parts so I can complete the set. This was in part of a large knife collection someone pawned. Looks like they have never been used. How much would these be worth. Want to see if I gave to much for them.
 Thanks

Congratulations.  You have 4/6ths of a Gerber 650 (Evolution) military kit.  You are missing the cap crimper needle nose pliers head and the special (large) pouch.  If I saw that on ebay I'd pay around $150 or so, depending on condition. 

These are uncommon, and unfortunately for you the cap crimper needle nose pliers head and the special (large) pouch are even less common.  I've never seen them for sale separately, and only ever seen the complete military kit once, and partial kits a few times. 

There is also a civilian version, which has different (and even more fragile) locating clips for the removeable heads, and lacks the springs on the inside of the handles. These usually only had the (non-CC needle nose and blunt nose plier heads. You sometimes see the civilian needle nose plier heads for sale (I have a few spare), but these aren't exactly the same as they don't have the cap crimper. The civilian version comes up for sale from time to time, and are more common than the military version.

See this the first photo in reply #11 of this thread for a photo of the head and pouch you are missing:

http://forum.multitool.org/gerber-tools/you-say-you-want-a-evolution/msg783944/#msg783944
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:54:25 AM
This was in part of a large knife collection someone pawned.

Were there any other interesting MTs in the collection ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline 1gunsnotenough

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:11:32 AM
 Thanks

Congratulations.  You have 4/6ths of a Gerber 650 (Evolution) military kit.  You are missing the cap crimper needle nose pliers head and the special (large) pouch.  If I saw that on ebay I'd pay around $150 or so, depending on condition. 

These are uncommon, and unfortunately for you the cap crimper needle nose pliers head and the special (large) pouch are even less common.  I've never seen them for sale separately, and only ever seen the complete military kit once, and partial kits a few times. 

There is also a civilian version, which has different (and even more fragile) locating clips for the removeable heads, and lacks the springs on the inside of the handles. These usually only had the (non-CC needle nose and blunt nose plier heads. You sometimes see the civilian needle nose plier heads for sale (I have a few spare), but these aren't exactly the same as they don't have the cap crimper. The civilian version comes up for sale from time to time, and are more common than the military version.

See this the first photo in reply #11 of this thread for a photo of the head and pouch you are missing:

http://forum.multitool.org/gerber-tools/you-say-you-want-a-evolution/msg783944/#msg783944

Thanks for the info. What would complete set be worth. I ran across a guy that has been stashing Mil. Surplus you years and he thinks he has a set of these. I am hoping to meet with him tomorrow.

Offline 1gunsnotenough

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:12:59 AM
This was in part of a large knife collection someone pawned.

Were there any other interesting MTs in the collection ?

No most of the other stuff were knives in the $50 range.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:25 AM
Thanks for the info. What would complete set be worth. I ran across a guy that has been stashing Mil. Surplus you years and he thinks he has a set of these. I am hoping to meet with him tomorrow.
As always, depends on condition.  If a complete set (incl pouch) in excellent + condition (light/never used, no corrosion, chips etc) was offered on ebay and got noticed by collectors I wouldn't be surprised if it went for a bit over $200.00   If a "bidding war" broke out it could go higher (but I would have dropped out by then).  Check both retaining clips are intact before offering too much $$$$.

Ask him if he has any other MTs that might be interesting.  :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:08:09 PM
Here are photos of the set. I got immensely lucky. One was waiting for me off of eBay. It was the first and last time I saw one. I paid around 130 dollars for it if memory serves me correct. This was back in 2009 or 10.

Here is the military and civilian sets together.

And one last of the backside of that pouch.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69