Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I can't help it...

cbl51 · 42 · 2437

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I can't help it...
Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:37 PM
I can't help but to agree with the OP post.  And honestly, my job does require a lot of cutting task and the chances of using on of the tools of my MT is just as likely, if not more often, as my blade.  And I guess that's probably why Victorinox probably is the largest knife/MT company on earth.

My favorite EDC MT is Vic Spirit, and I find it's weight and size tolerable for my pocket carry and covers 99% of my needs.

...in my daypack is a pair of mini Vice Grips that I got at Lowes. They work out great with a very wide range of opening. With my Wenger SI and a mini Vise grips, you can handle darn near anything. Better than a MT. The Vise grips can be used as pliers, wire cutter, and tightened down so you can really clamp onto a bolt and use them as a wrench.

For the same reason, I recently discover LM Crunch which I really do like in my "urban tool kit".  Basically it's a vice grip but with some multitool functions.  The best part, it could even accept tool bits which just eliminate the need for additional bit wrench from the kit.  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:59 PM
I have a feeling I may end up in the same mindset in the future.  I've said more than once that I could likely get by just fine most days with just a SAK.  It's not often I really need a plier based multitool, but it does happen.  If I were to get a Swisschamp though, I would possibly be all set for 95% of the time.  However, I have occasionally found the pliers on a MT handy, and the SAK pliers wouldn't have likely been as helpful in those situations.

maybe a smaller plier like a dime or a LM squirt paired with a champion plus?  I carried the champ plus but since I have the swisschamp I'd rather have the plier layer.

I do have the Squirt PS4, which I do carry along with the MT/SAK combo during the day.  I can't reach far with those though, which only really applies to one of the tasks I've encountered here at work where the MT pliers were helpful.  I could maybe do with the Juice line's pliers though.  I just can't bring myself to only carry one item at this point >:D

I don't remember if you have a juice or not.  I'm not suggesting you only carry one item,heaven forbid, banish the thought :D.

I do have the KF4, and an S2 actually, that I never carry anymore, despite the fact it had all the basics covered really for normal tasks.  The S2 paired with a Champion Plus would probably be all I'd ever need.  I like the KF4 though, but it would be double saws and files (the KF4 has the diamond file though).  Summer is tough for me outside of work because I only can carry one item most of the time since I'm in gym shorts.  You can imagine my distress in that case :ahhh
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 10:32:04 PM
You know, a Leatherman isn't the worst thing to carry sometimes. Admittedly, I usually just have the SI or the custom SAK in my back pocket, but for days where I'm out all day, a Charge AL sits next to my wallet pretty easily.

It's helped a few times, and so far it hasn't felt like I'm some tac-knife nut that is prepared for the fall of society on my way to play some paintball.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

This is how I typically carry my MTs :tu:  They usually don't interfere much with the wallet, so it works for me. 
K-Tibbs

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 10:35:00 PM
You know, a Leatherman isn't the worst thing to carry sometimes. Admittedly, I usually just have the SI or the custom SAK in my back pocket, but for days where I'm out all day, a Charge AL sits next to my wallet pretty easily.

It's helped a few times, and so far it hasn't felt like I'm some tac-knife nut that is prepared for the fall of society on my way to play some paintball.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

This is how I typically carry my MTs :tu:  They usually don't interfere much with the wallet, so it works for me.

They interfere with my wallet being full all the time. :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:36 PM

I front pocket carry my wallet and  have carried my wave with clip in my rear pocket very comfortably. 

@Monrogue that's right you have the KF4 and S2.  I like to have a few items on me as well so SAK and MT do nicely.  I have just found that the Swisschamp has been a great house carry or a quick trip to store carry for me.  I have a pouch that I can clip to my belt but I like to pocket carry it with a lanyard for easy of retrieval from my pocket. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 01:03:38 AM
Can I remind folks that the classic LM Mini is a perfect foil to a SAK? When I was doing the Fit test,I was repeatedly surprised at its competence
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 01:30:45 AM
Can I remind folks that the classic LM Mini is a perfect foil to a SAK? When I was doing the Fit test,I was repeatedly surprised at its competence

Is that model phased out? I can't find it in the current line up. I like the more compact of the Leatherman tools. The squirt is not a bad pocket carry, nor is the juice. But I personally am inclined more to a SAK than a plier tool. I suppose it may be my very early exposure to the Boy Scout knife at age 12, and the army issue demo knife. I don't think I had a real knife-knife until I was 21 or 22 years old. I feel more natural with a pocket knife with a few tools rather than a plier with a knife blade and a few tools.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 01:38:44 AM
yes the LM Mini is a retired tool however you can still find them on the fleabay.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 02:46:02 AM

That is a true statement if I ever saw one ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 02:52:00 AM

I've thought about getting one of those as well as I agree that it would be a good compliment to a SAK like the Champion, or any SAK for that matter :tu:
K-Tibbs

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 04:08:47 AM
Hi Guys

Very, very interesting thread - Thanks for all your posts - fascinating reading.
As a long time SAK carrier I could not agree more with the usefulness and completeness of the SAK.
I always wondered why anyone would carry a larger fixed blade (maybe the one exception is batoning?) with less function.
The only choice for me is which SAK model - and one has so much choice there -
And I dont want to get into that debate!!

I always smiled a bit to myself (ironically) about people talking about carrying a knife, especially a SAK, for self protection. I always wondered how it would work and how effective it would be. So thanks to all the folk here who explanied so eloquently, that basically - It would not - and that there are many other way more effective tools to use !!
Also, as an anti violent person, I always felt pretty uncomfortable about all this - and could never imagine stabbing anyone. My philospohy, without being naive or complacent, is that violent, or potentially violent situations can very often be avoided - Eg Don't go to the 'wrong' side of town; cross to the other side of the street, if you see dodgy characters ahead; don't walk alone at night; don't hang around the subway at 2am etc etc. Of course bad things can happen out of the blue - But one can do a lot to lessen the chances. And if I had to defend myself, of course I would - if possible and sensible/practical.

Anyway back to better topics - The one down side of the (smaller) SAKs is no pliers - But I find I rarely need pliers - However when you do, of course, nothing else works. And if you need full sized pliers - errm - you need full sized pliers
I do have a LM Squirt PS4 which is pretty handy although the tools are tiny - Not got round to EDCing it yet - Still have the classic on my keyring.
A nice mod might be to add pliers to my beloved Huntsman, simliar to the Handyman I guess but saving the file layer (I don't often need the metal file).

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 04:12:56 AM
A Huntsman/Explorer/TrekkerOH hybrid is my ideal knife

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99