Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some Gerber prototypes from late 1990's/early 2000's

J-sews · 120 · 39519

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Some Gerber prototypes from late 1990's/early 2000's
Reply #60 on: January 18, 2014, 09:57:45 PM

Either way Bob. These are lovely additions to your superb collection.  :tu:

+1  :salute:

I like the look of the Electrician pliers  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:38 PM

I'd send them for you to look at Tony but they would probably come back with a blackened burn hole between the jaws. :pok: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:49 PM

I'd send them for you to look at Tony but they would probably come back with a blackened burn hole between the jaws. :pok: :D

That has been known in the past but not so much now  :D

(volt stick   ;)  )

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:56 PM

That has been known in the past but not so much now  :D

(volt stick   ;)  )

:cheers:

I'm not quite there yet myself :whistle: :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:03 PM

:rofl:  Thats never happened to me    :whistle:

:pok:  You need something like this Bob

http://www.amprobe.com/amprobe/usen/electrical-testers/high-voltage-test---tic-tracer/tic-300-pro.htm?PID=73374
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: January 18, 2014, 11:10:41 PM

:rofl:  Thats never happened to me    :whistle:

:pok:  You need something like this Bob

http://www.amprobe.com/amprobe/usen/electrical-testers/high-voltage-test---tic-tracer/tic-300-pro.htm?PID=73374

Looks effective!  (but far less entertaining than my current method of determining if voltage is present) :P :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #66 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:03 AM
Oh, are we comparing burnt wire cutters? Can I play too?

I still remember the sparks. :ahhh It was like New year. :dd:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:18 AM
Wow, that's quite impressive Nikola! :o :D

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 09:31:52 PM

The handles are made to come apart too. I wonder if they planned to offer different style pliers? And maybe different handles too, perhaps with a variety of different blades and such?

(Image removed from quote.)

I Knew that I've seen this design before...  This is the Patent (filed in 1998 and approved in 2001)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 11:46:51 PM
Oh, a 'cutter' head to go with it, that would have been cool. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:30 AM
Well would you look at that! :cheers: Hah, I've read a lot of multitool patents, but I've never seen that one before! Wow, that means they were pretty serious about this tool at some point. I see though later on in that very patent they are showing photos that look like the Evolution MP650. And I can see why from a manufacturing standpoint they would go with the 650 instead of this reversible jaw tool. Whatever, it's still neat to see some of the background history on this tool. Thanks Ombuds!! :tu:

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #71 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:59 AM
Well would you look at that! :cheers: Hah, I've read a lot of multitool patents, but I've never seen that one before! Wow, that means they were pretty serious about this tool at some point. I see though later on in that very patent they are showing photos that look like the Evolution MP650. And I can see why from a manufacturing standpoint they would go with the 650 instead of this reversible jaw tool. Whatever, it's still neat to see some of the background history on this tool. Thanks Ombuds!! :tu:

Anytime ! :salute:

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #72 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:50 AM
Oh, a 'cutter' head to go with it, that would have been cool. :tu:

Indeed !  8)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: July 09, 2014, 09:26:52 PM
I just thought this needed a Bump.

And I read that you are missing a Multilite for the purple lid you have - I do have  2 Multilites and would be willing to trade one for some other Gerber stuff that you might have twice.

Btw, is there a place wher MP 600 FPR variants are discussed?  :think:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 01:04:23 AM
I just thought this needed a Bump.

And I read that you are missing a Multilite for the purple lid you have - I do have  2 Multilites and would be willing to trade one for some other Gerber stuff that you might have twice.

Thank you Thomas :salute: I am indeed still looking for a Multi-Lite to use with my purple lid. I will send you a PM :)

I think First Production Run Gerber tools have been mentioned several times over the years, but I do not recall a specific thread about them..? :think:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #75 on: July 16, 2014, 02:00:09 AM

I'm with Bob, I think the info is scattered across several threads.  What did you want to know ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: July 16, 2014, 09:59:35 AM
Thanks for the PM. I´ll have to think about it.  ;)
Regarding the MP 600 FPR - I do have a Needlenose one with black lock-tabs.
Sadly, the plain edge blade is missing the tip.
Now I am contemplating if it is (from a collectors standpoint) worthwile to look for another MPP 600 with this early blade type and repair teh FPR or if I either just regrind the blade and use it or - shock horror - use it as a mod base?!

Alternatively, I´d trade it in with any MP 600 variant if anyone is looking for such a specimen.

And above all I´m just curious what different FPR tools there were.

Oh, and I´m a bit jealous on your prototype collction...  ;)
Nah, not really - They are in teh right hands Bob - although Gregs opinion on this might differ. 

While we are at it - how common are the fiskars branded Multipliers? I guess they must be from teh time when Gerber became part of the Fiskars universe and Fiskars wanted to sell some Multis themselves?

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #77 on: July 16, 2014, 01:47:09 PM
Regarding the MP 600 FPR - I do have a Needlenose one with black lock-tabs.
Sadly, the plain edge blade is missing the tip.
Now I am contemplating if it is (from a collectors standpoint) worthwile to look for another MPP 600 with this early blade type and repair teh FPR or if I either just regrind the blade and use it or - shock horror - use it as a mod base?!

Alternatively, I´d trade it in with any MP 600 variant if anyone is looking for such a specimen.

And above all I´m just curious what different FPR tools there were.

Oh, and I´m a bit jealous on your prototype collction...  ;)
Nah, not really - They are in teh right hands Bob - although Gregs opinion on this might differ. 

While we are at it - how common are the fiskars branded Multipliers? I guess they must be from teh time when Gerber became part of the Fiskars universe and Fiskars wanted to sell some Multis themselves?

From what I've seen the MP600 FPR with black locktabs are less common than the version with grey locktabs, so definitely collector material.  If you aren't that keen on it I'll gladly take it off your hands  :pok:  PM me with what you'd like for it.

As far as Gerber multitools go I've only ever seen FPR on the original Mr Pinchy (Multi-Plier), Multi-Lite and MP600 (Multi-Lock).  Has anyone ever seen it on an MP400 or other MTs ?

I'm also jealous of Bobs's Gerber prototypes, but am willing to concede they are in good hands  :salute:

The Fiskars branded early Multi-Pliers are much less common than the Gerber branded version, and the ones I've seen have a different tool load as well.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:49:27 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: July 16, 2014, 09:46:10 PM
I agree!! :o The MP600 FPR is far too special to be used as mod fodder. I'm sure Greg or myself or someone else would be happy to trade you for a standard MP600 that would be a better starting point for modification. :salute:

Like Greg, I have seen "First Production Run" etched on the original Gerber Mr. Pinchy, the Multi-Lite, and the MP600. (Both needle nose and blunt nose versions of the MP600)

Also, on the topic of FPR multitools, I've also seen Bear Jaws 155, Bucktool 360, and Bucktool 355 models so marked.

As an interesting side note, I once had a discussion with the gentleman at Gerber who was credited with inventing the sliding jaws concept. He confided to me that with all the pre-release hype they were under enormous pressure to bring the first Mr Pinchy tools to market, and there was no time to fix all the little mistakes, which of course they were well aware of. (misplaced cutouts in handles, nail nicks on wrong side of blades, etc) So someone came up with the genius idea of marking the tools First Production Run, which deflected most of the negative criticism when they finally hit the market, and in the long run made the tools MORE desirable/valuable, not LESS. ;)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:39 PM
Thanks for the insight! My little one is taking up my time atm, but I´ll get back to both of you regarding the possible trades.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #80 on: January 31, 2015, 01:53:22 PM

It seems Gerber must have made at least two of these purple/pink little gems, as I just won one on eBay (mine comes with a "standard" tool load body ie serrated blade).  I had some stiff competition for it (obviously another Gerber collector), but unlike several recent rare MTs on eBay I wasn't outbid this time  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:20 PM
:woohoo:  Nice catch mate.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: February 01, 2015, 01:00:04 PM
 :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #83 on: February 01, 2015, 06:33:59 PM
Great score  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: February 04, 2015, 03:19:44 PM
Congrats Greg! Was yours just the top piece (like mine) or did you get the entire tool? :)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #85 on: February 04, 2015, 10:59:38 PM
Congrats Greg! Was yours just the top piece (like mine) or did you get the entire tool? :)
Thanks all.  I didn't expect to ever get a purple/pink Multi-lite, but it just goes to show you should never say never  :D

This one came with a "standard" (most common ?) tool load body ie serrated blade.

I wonder if they made any other colours for the top piece ? ie besides black, green and purple/pink

This post suggests there is a possibility, but the poster hasn't been on MTo for a couple of years:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35912.msg578528.html#msg578528
Thanks that was a very fast reply.    It is a little odd ball not having a needle nose pliers but the tools it has work great and have been invaluable over the years.    I bought this in 1997 in Towanda Pa.
Funny you mention flea markets when we lived in Gainesville Va in 2001 there was a flea market across the highway, one of the stands had a dozen of the plastic covers in different colors.    They were made in China.    I didn't buy any but wish I had.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #86 on: August 11, 2016, 02:39:26 PM
No wonder Poncho necro'd threads. These are awesome!
That reversible plier head was so neat! What a shame it was never released.  :-\

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:07 PM
Hard to believe! Especially the one with detachable pliers, OMG  :sa: :popcorn:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: August 12, 2016, 08:59:47 PM
Agreed! :tu:  Yeah I tell you what, some of these tools that Gerber experimented with and DIDN'T produce are way better than some of the crap that they DID produce. (I'm thinking Radius, Steady, Freehand, etc, etc, etc) ::) ::)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: August 16, 2016, 03:50:39 PM
No wonder Poncho necro'd threads. These are awesome!
That reversible plier head was so neat! What a shame it was never released.  :-\

That's right 8) I love a lot of the old threads for this very reason :like: Many great pics and reviews and info have been amassed over the years here at MTO :dd:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%