Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Handyman vs. Evo 18, small difference

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Wenger Handyman vs. Evo 18, small difference
on: January 16, 2014, 06:30:55 PM
I got a Wenger Handyman some weeks ago. By strange coincidence, an Evo 18 came up as a trade option, and I ended up with it.

Except for the chain on the Handyman, and the Evo scales, they are essentially the same tool.

There is ONE strange difference.

I noticed while playing with the Handyman that the saw didn't want to cradle correctly, and the saw teeth gouged the aluminum liners. This didn't happen with the Evo. Then I noticed that the LINERS were different.

On the Evo, the liner between saw layer and can/bottle opener layer lies much lower, allowing plenty of room for the saw blade. On the Handyman, they're both high up, making a very tight slot for the saw blade to slip into. Is this standard on the handyman, or a production error of someone using 2 of the liner meant to go between the saw and scissor layer?

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger Handyman vs. Evo 18, small difference
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:42 PM
I don't have the Evo model to compare, but the two liners "high up" on your model with classic scales are pretty standard in older models.
Wenger made many changes, even in the tools position, and this happened even on the same model.
I think that a production error is unlikely.
I had few models with your same problems and there is a very easy fix.
Just bend SLOWLY the wood saw end using your fingers and keep testing the open/close position, untill the saw closes without engaging the liners.
Sorry for my bad english, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, however, the problem is that the saw blade either hits one liner on one side, or the other liner on the other side. the tolerance for 'just right down the middle' is so slight that I have to wiggle the saw blade to find the perfect fit. Fractions of a milimeter.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:36 PM
It is important that the liner sides are completely "smooth".
Remove, if you haven't already, the "dents" on the aluminium that were made by the saw blade.
I can see them from your picture.
I usually use the metal file from a SAK.
Also check the "teeths" on the saw.
I usually find that it is on of the teeth that hits the liner.
I'm not really good on these kind of jobs, but was able to "fix" the saw on all the Wenger's that had this problems.
Or just wait for the advice from a much more skilled forum user..... :P

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:36 PM
Knocked down the damage on the liners with the file from my (ironically) Vic Handyman, checked teeth on saw blade, to make sure they weren't protruding strangely, and with gentle pressure, bent the saw away from the liner it seemed to be favoring. It's still a tight fit, and requires a slow closure, instead of snapping the tool closed, but seems a good deal less finicky. :tu:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:12 PM
I have both models. Yes, the saw can easily catch the liners.
Even after filing mine smooth, and gently bending the saw blade, the tip of the saw will still catch on occasion.
Then I filed the liners on either side of the saw at an angle so they form more of a steep canyon or guide for the saw.......better still, and that's where I rested.
If the saw catches again, I aim to use a Dremel and a parting disk, and remove the offending liner tips. They aren't necessary anyway, as my newer Wengers don't have the tips, nor do Vics.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%