Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would you replace under warranty or retire and repurchase?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
So, you've got 'old faithful', banged up, much loved, worth every cent you spent on it. You feel naked without it on you. But it's seen better days.

It's some good company, with good warranty, so you COULD send it in to be refurbished/replaced with the new shiny model... OR you could hold onto it, put it out to pasture, and buy a new tool. So worst case, you always have old faithful to fall back on.

Which do you chose?

This is a broad question, not specific to a company or tool type. Examples of what you HAVE done are also welcome.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Would you replace under warranty or retire and repurchase?
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:05:09 PM
It depends how banged up you mean. I could, in that scenario live with anything, except the greatest sin of all..... :ahhh

Lateral movement. Never!!!

Other than that, I would continue to edc it. And to hell with the shiny ones!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:08:24 PM
It depends on whether its a multi or not. Regular snap-on tools, replace. Leatherman or the like, repurchase. It has a lot to do with ease of purchase/replacement and price. My snap-on and matco tools are too expensive to just buy again, and the salesman for both companies showed up at my dealership every week. Leatherman replacements require mailing a tool one way and waiting for mail the return way. I don't think I could be without the multi-of-day while waiting, even though I have plenty of other multi's to choose from in the meantime.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:42:06 PM
If it was a gift, or held some other sort of sentimental value to me, like winning it here from a GAW, I'd keep it and buy a new one.  If not, I'd send it back to get it replaced.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:23 PM
I tend to be a sentimental fellow so I'd probably keep it and just replace it with a newer model...
SAW

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:58:53 PM
If the tool has given good service and you've had your money's worth out of it then I think you should retire it and buy a new one.  I believe the free repair/replacement warranty should only be used for manufacturing/material/design faults, not fair wear and tear (or abuse/misuse).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:12:13 PM
depends on the tool or who gave it to me.
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:14:31 PM
I'm partially with gregozedobe. If I've gotten good use out of the tool and my money's worth then it's also a part of my history so simply retire it. Get a newer model and that's it.

But if it gets really banged up over nothing then I'll sure as hell will send it in for warranty
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:26:02 PM

If it was a gift, or held some other sort of sentimental value to me, like winning it here from a GAW, I'd keep it and buy a new one.  If not, I'd send it back to get it replaced.
Agreed!!

-AdmSlc

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:29 AM
 :salute: agreed.
If the tool has given good service and you've had your money's worth out of it then I think you should retire it and buy a new one.  I believe the free repair/replacement warranty should only be used for manufacturing/material/design faults, not fair wear and tear (or abuse/misuse).

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 12:28:35 AM

That is what I would call reasonable.    ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 02:44:29 AM

^^^
this
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 03:29:46 AM
In the only two instances I can think of, in one case I sent a tool in for repair before trading it away (a Vic Explorer). And in another case, I retired the tool, eventually giving it to a friend (my first SOG Crosscut).

I certainly feel like I got every penny's worth from that SOG, and was happy to buy a new one. Unfortunately, the SOG Crosscut 2.0 isn't... quite... as good.

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 03:32:14 AM
i get sentimental about stuff.  i would rather replace and repurchase, and gently lay the wounded soldier to rest, unless i could fix her, in which case, fix her and then gently lay her to rest, somewhere where i could reach and easily fiddle with her for nostalgic purposes..

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 03:34:29 AM
... and then gently lay her to rest, somewhere where i could reach and easily fiddle with her for nostalgic purposes..

This sounds vaguely necrophilic. :D

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 03:40:43 AM
... and then gently lay her to rest, somewhere where i could reach and easily fiddle with her for nostalgic purposes..

This sounds vaguely necrophilic. :D

:rofl: i didn't even realize it until i posted it, but then i was kind of delighted with that.

a lot of talk on this board, i have noticed, can be taken well out of context.  'show me your tools,' is elsewhere a very sketchy proposal.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 04:02:00 AM
I agree with the people who say that it all depends on the nostalgic attachment. I Personally "gracefully retired" and refurbished my 40+ year MDC (most days carry) Wenger ToolChest it is now more of an art piece with brass liners and polished Aluminium scales. No more dirty cutting or prying jobs for old faithful. I even bought a newer version of the same tool loadout should I ever feel the need for that specific config again.

However I believe if a company sells a tool and stands behind it with a (say) 25 year warranty then they are saying that it will stand up to 25 years of use (not abuse). and if the tools get floppy from being opened and closed several times a day or the teeth wear off the pliers or a backspring snaps or loses its tension than it is a warranty issue.
I have no problem sending something in for warranty repair, if they don't think it qualifies then they are welcome to tell me so, but probably lose me as a customer.
I believe that a "no questions" warranty is one of a companies best marketing tools.
Sure a few people will abuse it, but the good-will generated extra sales will far offset that.

I know I have no problem buying SnapOn tools even at their premium price because short of losing it I know I have that tool in usable working condition forever. Broken, worn out? BING... new one. Thank you sir, come again.

us Offline abd1959

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 05:53:47 AM
If the piece had great sentimental value then I would just retire it and have the great memories associated with it. If the tool gave me years of service and withstood all the abuse I gave it I would retire it also. The only time I would send it in for replacement or repair under warranty would be if it was a very expensive piece or if I feel some of the problems were associated with manufacturing or poor product design.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 07:56:10 AM
I have retired multiple SAKs and MTs and replaced them with something new. Some had sentimental value, some had been faithful companions, and some were a combination of both. :)

I think abd1959 summed it up pretty well. :salute:
If the piece had great sentimental value then I would just retire it and have the great memories associated with it. If the tool gave me years of service and withstood all the abuse I gave it I would retire it also. The only time I would send it in for replacement or repair under warranty would be if it was a very expensive piece or if I feel some of the problems were associated with manufacturing or poor product design.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%