Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool plier head play?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
SwissTool plier head play?
on: May 26, 2008, 05:25:53 AM
Well, I bought a beater SwissTool X and I noticed this tool also has the plier head play. It's not excessive but when the tool is in "pliers mode" you can tell there's a little play. Is anyone else's ST like this? ???
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:27:47 AM by Leatherman123 »
B

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Re: SwissTool plier head play?
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:22:36 AM
Nope.  All the tools have play, but not the plier head.  At least they got something right. :D

us Offline carl

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:23:56 AM
I noticed some play in both the Swisstool and Spirit when I played with both at Plaza Cutlery about a month ago.  More play in the Spirit.  Not excessive in either case.  Just got back from Nordic Knives and wow, do they have a SAK and custom knife collection there but no Swisstools.   I bet most Swisstools have some play. 

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:53:08 AM
...I played with both at Plaza Cutlery about a month ago.

OT: Is this the place at South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA?  Somebody else on EDCforums mentioned this place.  Is it worth my driving down there from LA to check it out?
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:06:49 AM
Mine are all tight :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:02:31 PM

I'm sure we have talked about this many times before but for the benefit of new members . Alot of Swisstools have play in either the tools or the pliers . If it bothers you send it back and ask for a tighter one . Although it doesnt interfear with the tools function and we have found it doesnt get worse either .All multitools if used like they are supposed to be get loose over time but the Swisstools hardly seem to wear at all .They are very tough tools , dont worry about a little play just go use the hell out of it .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:12:16 PM

I'm sure we have talked about this many times before but for the benefit of new members . Alot of Swisstools have play in either the tools or the pliers . If it bothers you send it back and ask for a tighter one . Although it doesnt interfear with the tools function and we have found it doesnt get worse either .All multitools if used like they are supposed to be get loose over time but the Swisstools hardly seem to wear at all .They are very tough tools , dont worry about a little play just go use the hell out of it .

Dunc

Not just me with a sense of De-ja-vu then.  :D

My plier head has a little play, not that it affects it's function at all.
I'm back!!

us Offline carl

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:59:56 PM

OT: Is this the place at South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA?  Somebody else on EDCforums mentioned this place.  Is it worth my driving down there from LA to check it out?

[/quote]

Yup.  Its one of the nicer cutlery places in southern CA that i've been to although Nordic knives in solvang is a cut above in the custom knife section.  Plaza cutlery has a good variety of multitools, custom knives, and surefire lights.  However, with todays gas prices, i only stop by when i'm already in the neighborhood.  If you're already in costa mesa/irvine/santa ana, then go for it.

Offline Mike D

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:26:14 AM
Well I plan on sending mine in because of this very reason, and it has gotten worse since the last time I posted about it. The play is to the point that if you lay the tool over on its side and try to close it the wire cutters make contact with one another interfering with the closing on the tool.

I still really like the tool, I just hope the next one doesn't have this issue if they elect to replace it...we'll see.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:28:56 AM
So, you should definitely send it in! That is WAY worse than mine!
B

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:37:09 AM
the plier on mine is tight. all my older models are perfect. the new model has loose implements but I don't know it would hurt anything.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:10:53 AM
The plier head play does not affect anything.. If it gets any worse than I will send it back..
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD