Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Homemade combo tools

Offline deebz

Homemade combo tools
on: January 29, 2024, 08:46:57 AM
Hello to the Sak pack (why does that sound rude)
Im new to the multitool world. Lost my job and have gone from being  in a van full of tools to filling the gaps waiting for my new job to start, doing bits and pieces, private jobs etc.
As a result have found myself shopping for multitools
And have ended up here.

As well as the Gerber and leatherman styles, I have opted for a mini champ or a 91mm
BUT like I’m sure many of you have experienced, your dream set up is not quite fulfilled.

Has anyone turnt a file/nail file into a blade (now a combo)
Or  cut a bottle opener out of the rear of a blade  (now a combo)
Can’t the scissors also be an awl/reamer (now a combo)

What have you guys done, or what are your ideas on what can be done.

Or

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Homemade combo tools
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 09:29:39 AM

Has anyone turnt a file/nail file into a blade (now a combo)
Or  cut a bottle opener out of the rear of a blade  (now a combo)
Can’t the scissors also be an awl/reamer (now a combo)

idea of bottle opener on blade waould maybe require thickblade and i dunno is it good idea, i've had cheapos with this combo and idea allread was awful since other was near tip and other near pivot. Near tip breaked quite fast (material wasnt best) and near pivot made somehow akward to use blade.

Turning file into blade is somehow questionable on this tool since usually those have enough good blade.

Really depends on Scissors that awl, if it is enough strong it can be used as awl. i have used SAK and LM scissors as awl on soft wood and plastic tubes.

I have myself turned LM can opener to chisel/awl/can opener/wirestripper also modded Wave serrated blade to Chisel/Serrated Blade

Offline deebz

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 10:25:26 AM
I know what you mean about blade thickness,
With regards to the file, it was more an observation on the smaller saks where they have a small blade and a file where it would seem the file could do both jobs and free up space for another tool. Seeing how easy it is to turn a blade into serrated edge I wondered if a file into a blade is just a case of sharpening with the right tool/stone. Then it got me thinking of all the space saving combo ideas that could be done and who has done them.  I’ve only ever had cheap multitools in my younger years and never got much use. I’m just about  to buy a mini champ or a 91mm I think the pozi will be my most important tool.  These will be my guinea pigs to see if I need a cyber tool s

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 11:13:19 AM
Hi Mate and welocme to MTo

Yes we do a lot of mods here
I am sure you have found this board - It not dive in and enjoy
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,16.0.html

If you are looking for multi-multi combos - Did you come across the Safari Hunter's combo tool
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Hunter+108mm

PS. Your choice of MiniChamp or a 91mm - Is pretty poles apart!! Should be interesting to follow    :o
Keep us informed  !!    :pok:    :D

Oh and you know what we say here?   ???  "Get both"   :tu:

Offline deebz

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 06:46:22 PM
Yeah I can see me going down the both route,
But I’ll start either small or cheap and work up.
Can also see myself modding and entering “the quest for the perfect tool rabbit hole”
I’m sure there’s a few like myself out there who want something svelte that goes unnoticed but when needed it has everything (inspector gadget meets the narnia wardrobe)
Being from more of a tech and urban day to day, certain things are deemed useless and will need swapping.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 05:53:02 AM
Turning a nail file into a nail file/knife blade combo - I don’t think this would work very well.  For one thing, the nail file is not hardened to the same hardness the knife blades are; the nail file is not hard enough to make a good knife blade.  For another, by the time you ground a proper primary bevel on the file, I’m not sure you would have much if any of the file surface left.  And if you did manage to save a useable portion of the file surface, it would create a nasty amount of drag when cutting or slicing through something, whereas what is desired in a knife blade is the ability to cut cleanly and easily.

Cut a bottle opener out of the rear of an existing blade - There are combination knife blade/bottle openers out there; two examples are the GEC Beerlow and RRR Bar Back.  The key difference, though, is that these blades were designed to incorporate bottle openers from the beginning, as opposed to being a mod later.  Modifying an existing SAK blade to add a bottle opener, I would be concerned that the geometry just wouldn’t work, or if it did, that the blade would be significantly weakened.

Scissors as awl/reamer - One can certainly use scissors or a knife blade to put a hole in something, as long as the tip is sharp enough.  In my view, however, this is simply another use for the scissors or blade.  It doesn’t make the scissors into a combo scissors/awl, for example.

Overall, I think most of Vic’s implements are pretty well thought out, though I’m sure all of us have a few fantasies (bring back 84mm scissors and the technician’s screwdriver) and pet peeves (why doesn’t every hook have the nail file?).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%