Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Links not working so good anymore

bmot · 11 · 1556

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Links not working so good anymore
on: January 23, 2014, 08:22:20 PM
I just encountered the second link that just brought me at the homepage of the forum instead the thread it was supposed to link to... Is that something to do with the new changes?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Links not working so good anymore
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:12 PM
the "Pretty URLs" mod (which was also causing some grief) is not compatible with the new update, so it's been axed. Unfortunately no easy way to fix the internal links.

Use the search box!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:34:07 PM
Yeah, those pretty urls were a good idea but caused a bunch of problems both with the forum software, cache, some actions and they were breaking the links if there was a (),!+ or anything like it in the title of the thread.

We've been considering getting rid of it for some time but the main concern was how it would affect the links posted since it was installed. Seems the fears were justified.

As Whoey said, use the search instead. Just copy the name of the thread or the old link to the search box, choose "Entire forum" and hit enter. Our search engine is actually pretty great. One of the best on any forum I've been on. :cheers:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:36:50 PM
Yeah, those pretty urls were a good idea but caused a bunch of problems both with the forum software, cache, some actions and they were breaking the links if there was a (),!+ or anything like it in the title of the thread.

We've been considering getting rid of it for some time but the main concern was how it would affect the links posted since it was installed. Seems the fears were justified.

As Whoey said, use the search instead. Just copy the name of the thread or the old link to the search box, choose "Entire forum" and hit enter. Our search engine is actually pretty great. One of the best on any forum I've been on. :cheers:

I know, I love it :) so much better than other ones... Though the fact that other ones are pretty much crap does help that :P
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:59:43 AM
I assume this forum has a SQL server as a backbone. Why not do some SQL updates?

old link:
"http://forum.multitool.org/the-mod-squad/show-off-your-sak-mod%27s!/msg702703/#msg702703"

new link:
"http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=5287.msg702703#msg702703"

i.e. exchange:
"the-mod-squad/show-off-your-sak-mod%27s!/"
with
"index.php?topic=5287."

and take
"msg702703/#msg702703"
to extract the "/"
"msg702703#msg702703"

(string replace "/#msg" with "#msg")
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:02:06 AM by HankSolon »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:14:47 AM
I was thinking about a solution like that as well. That mod probably used some database table linking the pretty URL to the thread ID and post ID, etc. That information could (in theory) be used to update the post contents.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:27:07 AM
that's how pretty urls worked, however we were using the on the fly method vs database stored urls as the massive size of the forum caused a huge increase in the already quite large database.

It's not really a viable option to go back to it, even if it was nice how it half worked. I have submitted the forum for reindexing via google and hopefully it'll clear out the broken links in the next 24h.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:19:18 PM
Just Tapatalk test :-)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:30 PM

:pok: your missing SAK pictures link is not working  :o
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:32:50 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. :salute:

I'll fix those when I'm back at the computer.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:46:56 PM
Fixed. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31