Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

40th Anniversary Garage 5 Club!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: 40th Anniversary Garage 5 Club!
Reply #30 on: December 07, 2023, 09:57:22 PM
  ZapWizard's 'Open Face' sheath. Hoping he will make a semi-armored or fully armored sheath for more tool security. This tool in this released probably cannot be replaced.
  Volty Switch came in yesterday. Put it where the 7.11L ratchet would go as it offers the Volty more protection.
  Having a time getting bits into the sheath slots, lot of grip going on back there! Even the ratchet does not fully seat; it goes in 10mm but the last 4mm it refuses to budge.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #31 on: January 03, 2024, 02:57:13 AM
  By chance, does anyone have friends or contacts that can answer if the #ZapWizard Arc Full or Partially Armored Cases are compatible with the Garage #5?? Have asked the creator a few times with a response that he was planning on making a fully armored case for the Garage #5.\

Am a large fellow and have found the Garage #5 loose in the sheath, and slid up. Luckily have not lost it - yet. Do wish the sheath employed a "pliers down" approach, so the weight of the pliers could help keep the tool pressed down into the case better, which would mean the locking mechanism would have to be on the upper end and probably would not slide-lock into place the way the creator intends.

May have to find a small innner-tube and put that across the top for now until Mr ZapWizard gets around to the the fully armored case.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2024, 06:40:26 AM
  Seen this post today of a so-called Damascus Leatherman Cutters that are from that Ali-Express outfit for $16, or $23 from Ebay. Looks like they could be a layered steel version material.

Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xNhWElQpzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78o3hrY-hMg

Ali-Express or Ebay

Edit:  Chose to order a set from Ebay. ETA is the end of this month..

A small envelope arrived today from California. Was a repackaged form of the Damascus Cutters for Leatherman Tools. Took a few photos this evening, and cut some bailing wire on both areas of the cutters without any issues. There are no gaps between the cutters. The pattern looks quite handsome on the Garage #5, and I put the original cutters back on the Rebar pliers.

Could probably get better photos outdoors except we are supposed to be getting hammered by a major snow storm this weekend. Maybe if I can find time I will sneak out for better photos. The pattern looks legitimate. Showing along side the Rebar cutters that were installed.

May have to order a few more of these Damascus Cutters from Ebay for the other tools, as I am not at all pleased with Leatherman's current cost-cutting cutters rounded-end format.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: January 13, 2024, 06:04:04 PM
Those definitely look better :salute: :like:

Reply #34 on: January 21, 2024, 03:42:19 AM
  Back decking photos in the melting snow... Showing off the Damascus Cutter Replacements in outdoor lighting. :like:

Front: Signage

Back: No pocket clip for ZapWizard Sheath
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: January 21, 2024, 06:48:24 AM
 :like: The look of those cutters :tu: :like:

Reply #36 on: January 21, 2024, 10:48:33 AM
  Used Gorilla razor to fix an issue I have been having with ZapWizard’s ‘open face’ Garage 5 sheath. Two layers to make a thin strap on the upper end to hold the multitool in place.

So far this has been working okay out. Am sure ZapWizard has been too busy making money with the Arc  lineup to mess with the  Garage 5

* IMG_2644.jpg (Filesize: 395.22 KB)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 10:58:28 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #37 on: January 21, 2024, 10:18:08 PM
  Wished I could edit or remove the huge photo above. My apologies for this. Was multitasking in the dunny late last night and I had no resizer app on the iPhone.
  Usually I do all the editing and posting from the computer, using an older copy of Zoner Studios to crop and edit the size of the photos to near 640x480. The resizer I found so late was not easy to read, and... well... that happened.

Anyone have a recommended resizer tool they use on their iPhone that they could recommend?

Reached out to Zap Wizard asking if there was a way to make a plate to slide on or snap on, even to attach by JB Weld to save him the trouble of making a new armored holster for the Garage #5. That open is not available for the 'open face' holster, and the Gorilla taped idea does help but does not keep the tool from being slid out of the holster -- something that probably only happens to those of larger girth sizes ... as we rub on everything.

What the Gorilla tape does it help catch the tool when it slides out an inch or so.

¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #38 on: January 22, 2024, 02:31:03 PM
I'll remember those cutters. I have an Arc, haven't had an issue yet but am aware of the issue and keeping an eye on them.

Thanks.

Reply #39 on: February 11, 2024, 09:17:55 AM
  Problem is not having a camera at the ready when you're performing tasks. Wonder if there is a headband camera that can activate with voice commands?

Was tracing a rather long USB cable, unraveling it, and sliding it under zip ties and velcro straps on the recumbent trike today. Had the Garage 5 on me, and found the awl came in quite handy. Was able to slide it under ties without fear of breaking or cutting into air, electrical, or cable housings. Was just the right size. And with a small twist was able to get the cutting edge on the zip tie, and with a gentle press the cable tie was cut. Sure glad I did not have the Arc's awl, otherwise would of had to gone back inside for a Victorinox Spirit Awl.

Have to acquire a longer USB-C charging cable to replace the Lightning charging cable. iPhone 15 Pro uses USB-C and I cage-clamp the phone on a handlebar mount, routed along the outrigger, across the beam, under the seat, up the seat post, and into a bag I carry a 3 port battery to keep things charged up.

Only drawback is the Lightning cable made for an excellent tether. The cord fit it deep in a phone, and if the phone did come out of the cage the lightning charging cable gave extra security. Had this happen a few times, not often, but I was glad for it. USB-C does not hold in as well as what the Lightning cords do.

On another good note, the Garage 5 / 40th Anniversary multitool did not slide out of the Zap Wizard's case when riding the roads today. That extra band I added is really helping to keep the tool in the sheath.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #40 on: February 11, 2024, 02:34:53 PM
Looks like you "MacGyvered" it just fine...

Reply #41 on: March 18, 2024, 03:46:32 AM
  The awl has been quite awlsome with recumbent trike maintenance. Even had to open a USB-C rubber port that was really stuck in its case. The newer type of awl was the cat's meow. Got the task done, and have been sliding the awl in between wires and hoses to snip a wire tie nice and clean.

Yesterday was making a quarter sized slot in a small canning car to hold change for laundry trips. Used the can opener to pop the slot in and widen the area some.

* IMG_3248.jpg (Filesize: 195.15 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #42 on: March 18, 2024, 03:51:46 AM
  Also used the file to file down a welded area on an aluminum handlebar so the e-assist computer bracket would set better. Need to find a rod to go down the inside to make for better support and lengthen the attachment area. No photos yet.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Screws for #5 do help with Zap Wizard Open-Faced sheath.
Reply #43 on: April 01, 2024, 04:21:38 AM
  My thanks to FolderBeholder on the lead for screws for the Arc. Got them installed on the Garage #5 which are better than ugly holes. Also stops a possible area that could accumulate debris. A plus would be that these small screws give a slight addition to friction on the Zap Wizard open-face sheath.

Really wished Zap Wizard would get on the ball and make a Fully Armorer Garage #5 case already. He's promised several times in December, across multiple sites & PMs, he was going to have one out in a week. Never happened. Then last two months it was supposedly a custom order, and still nothing. I would not be complaining if my request was a minor issue, but when my multitool slides upwards of 3/4 of an inch, yeah, a bit more serious.

Do not really want to go back to an ugly leather sheath with less features for better tool security.

Zap Wizard does not seem concerned very much. Guess you need to spend lots of money on his site to get noticed. Would spend more once he gets an updated fully armored sheath on his site, as I would like other goodies he has to offer.

Am wondering if the File and Saw thumb-hole covers would add more drag on the Zap Wizard sheath?

Zap Wizard has good working sheaths, and I do not have shelf queens -- I use my tools. Yet there is an issue with mine, or the type. Have created a Gorilla Tape flexible band that is in need of replacement soon. It helps somewhat, not a cure. However, the screws do have a slight pressure against the Shapeways sheath that I am hoping will last a while.

Garage #005 Open-Faced Sheath found here.

Temporary remedy for a sliding tool issue. Open-Face Garage #5 tool.

Screws for the Arc installed on a Leatherman 40th Anniversary Multitool

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #44 on: April 01, 2024, 04:43:53 AM
  Only other way I can see for tool security is to add strong magnets on the end of the sheath. JB Weld time maybe?

Did test this with a hard drive magnet which are 40# semi-curved magnets. And how many of you were tossing hard drives away and did not realize the useful magnets laying inside?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%