Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

model variations

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
model variations
on: May 26, 2008, 06:14:51 AM
so there were several model variations of the pst but the leatherman website only shows the one tool. but the charge ti, and xti are identical but handle material with the charge al and alx. so why are the charges separate models? I consider them variations of the same model. anyone else agree?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: model variations
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:48:28 PM
Good point scrappy. Must be the Charges with different model names were something the marketing department wanted. As regards the different PST's, back when they were a current item, the Leatherman catalog listed the regular and the black oxide as two different stock numbers.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 05:43:35 PM
That is a good ? they need to include at least pics of the different variations on there retired tool pages for historical purposes if nothin else.  I mean thats really what the interent is about (the information superhighway) So it would be nice to be able to get as much info on there page as possible ;) That way we know what to look for on Ebay  :gimme:
 :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:03:50 AM
That is a good ? they need to include at least pics of the different variations on there retired tool pages for historical purposes if nothin else.  I mean thats really what the interent is about (the information superhighway) So it would be nice to be able to get as much info on there page as possible ;) That way we know what to look for on Ebay 

Well we do got this thing called the Multitool Encyclopedia: https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php

Too bad the Leatherman PST page isn't up yet though. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:05:55 AM
I would say because the variation is different. If you looking to buy a Charge it would be helpful to see two different pages on the models rather than one..
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:30:58 AM
That is a good ? they need to include at least pics of the different variations on there retired tool pages for historical purposes if nothin else.  I mean thats really what the interent is about (the information superhighway) So it would be nice to be able to get as much info on there page as possible ;) That way we know what to look for on Ebay

Well we do got this thing called the Multitool Encyclopedia: https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php

Too bad the Leatherman PST page isn't up yet though. :-\

I have been there several times but LM should keep up with there own tools because who else know what they had better.  ??? Of course there are others that know alot about them also (alot of you guys, not me) :D

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:26:45 AM
The PST was made from 1983 to 2004,the biggest changes that I remember was some of the early models had rivets,and no hard wire cuter,and they didn't put the mnf dates in the handles,the biggest changes was the BO finish,and the EOD pliers.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:32:45 AM
i read that some few had sizzors and some had a saber blade? what ever that is?

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:35:59 AM
     That would be the light saber blade edition, but it was available only to jedi in good standing (no sith).  did not catch on well if you forgot to turn the blade off before closing it made a nasty mess on the inside of the handles. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:45:45 AM
Sometime around 2000 they went with the wider, stronger plier pivot. It had a little arrow cast in pointing to the hard wire notch. Also the medium flathead screwdriver went to the "bent" style.

* Leatherman PST (2002).jpg (Filesize: 80.14 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:39 AM
     That would be the light saber blade edition, but it was available only to jedi in good standing (no sith).  did not catch on well if you forgot to turn the blade off before closing it made a nasty mess on the inside of the handles. 

:D :D

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 05:57:01 AM
Sometime around 2000 they went with the wider, stronger plier pivot. It had a little arrow cast in pointing to the hard wire notch. Also the medium flathead screwdriver went to the "bent" style.
I see that in the difference of the two older waves i have.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:35 PM
In the Waves?
B

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 02:14:33 AM
yes, the old usa model has smaller cutters and no arrow, the old not labeled usa tool has longer cutters and an arrow.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 02:15:21 AM
I notice the arrow but not the longer cutters.
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD