Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

It's "The Weather Sucks" thread 38831

Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 12,142 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
It's "The Weather Sucks" thread
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
It hasn't broken 22 F in 6 days.  Nights are 0 to -5 F.  Last night, I was in the barn until 2 AM trying to thaw out a frozen automatic waterer.  It must have been frozen below ground because even with a bullet heater (kerosene) blowing at the danged thing for 2 hours didn't resolve it.  The infrared thermometer showed the ground around the waterer to be 120-135 F and the riser and water bowl to be 180-200 F.

At 2 AM, I called it off.  I covered the waterer with horse blankets, hoping the residual heat would melt it out and headed to the house.  I went back to check for disaster at 5:30 AM and found that it was all melted out and running fine.  I went back to bed for an hour of untroubled sleep.

Another 10 days of this cr@p is predicted.  >:(

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,569
Re: It's "The Weather Sucks" thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
It's that cold even that far to the south eh? I don't have anything outside to worry about so not much problem, although skiing in 0F with wind howling isn't particularly comfy, and taking boots off at the end is downright painful.

How do the horses deal with the cold? I'd imagine the barn isn't heated?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 11,858 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
Yeah this weather sucks. Today it finally broke above 30, Friday the kids got school called off due to being only in the single digits but the freaking wind chill was like -20. And today i woke up to about 3" of snow. I mean being someone who originally grew up in Ct & Pa it doesn't really bother me, but it still sucks, especially when you got to put up with the kids arguing even more! :poh: JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR

No Life Club Posts: 3,107 It is what it isn't.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
It has been kinda chilly here in Michigan but the snow fall/blowing snow has been a pain the last two days or so.  I bet I removed better than a foot in my yard and driveway  plus the huge piles of drifting snow that was as tall as 4 to 4 1/2 feet each day.  That part is getting old real fast! :)

No Life Club Posts: 2,013
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
You guys have it bad :/

If it's any comfort there was an article in the Farmers Weekly last week about how Canadians cope with the winters out there, didn't sound desperately pleasant. One guy did about $10k worth of damage to a tractor gearbox running it whilst it was too cold, vowed to invest in a heated barn to keep it in after that.

We've just had a power cut caused by a very impressive storm. It was helpfully timed to be in the middle of milking so I went across to the farm to help sort out the generator.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
It has been kinda chilly here in Michigan but the snow fall/blowing snow has been a pain the last two days or so.  I bet I removed better than a foot in my yard and driveway  plus the huge piles of drifting snow that was as tall as 4 to 4 1/2 feet each day.  That part is getting old real fast! :)
Yeah this Michigan wind is nasty, I moved here a year and half ago, and I must say the cold doesn't bother me, but this wind is brutal! JR

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,185 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
Yea the weather sucks here as well. 75 degrees without a cloud in the sky.  :whistle:

I'm the milk man!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:15:38 PM »
Yeah this Michigan wind is nasty, I moved here a year and half ago, and I must say the cold doesn't bother me, but this wind is brutal! JR

Yeah, we have gotten alot of snow so far his year too, way above average!  Why did you move here?  LOL

FYI - I am in Traverse City area!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 16,238 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
I got up this morning...looked outside using my bay window out front and  :ahhh.

I preped myself for a full hour drinking liquid courage (hot chocolate) before donning my battle gear and attempted to get out of my door. After a 3 minute struggle, I managed to push outwards my storm door enough to be able to squeeze outside. I struggled to get to my garage which is located at the back of my property. I had over 4 foot snow drifts in spots.  :facepalm:

When I got back there, thankfully, my garage door opened up and I was able to access my snow-blower. Thank God I bought a new model. I would have been toast with my little 20" electric.

It took me almost an hour and a half to finish my driveway and a little of my neighbours. I had just put the blower away and walked to the front when I spotted a woman driving a city plow. I think she gave me the finger as she proceeded to block me in with another 4 foot drift at the end of my driveway. I am sure she waved...but it felt like the finger.  :rofl:

So off I go to the back to get my blower. Another 10 minutes and I called it the day.

I haven't seen that much snow in a long time. I am thinking I may have to add drift cutters to the new blower.  :think:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
No Life Club Posts: 1,405 Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »
I am with you guys in thought. Meanwhile today in Spain.

Things should be made as simple as possible, and not simpler.
If you can't be happy with what you have, you will never be happy.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »

Yeah, we have gotten alot of snow so far his year too, way above average!  Why did you move here?  LOL

We wanted to start a new life, get out of all the problems we had, and our one friend lived over here and said it's great over here, great place to start new. The first thing I asked about here was "what's the weather like"? and they said that it doesn't get hot in summer, nor does if get cold in winter, well I think they lied! The week we moved it was so freaking humid and in the upper 80s to lower 90s, every time you walked out the door you were like a fountain and produced more sweat then a toilet sweats water on a hot day, and now this winter is horrible! I think this bad weather just follows me! No matter where I go! I'm on the complete opposite side of the state below Detroit, JR

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:47:43 PM »

We wanted to start a new life, get out of all the problems we had, and our one friend lived over here and said it's great over here, great place to start new. The first thing I asked about here was "what's the weather like"? and they said that it doesn't get hot in summer, nor does if get cold in winter, well I think they lied! The week we moved it was so freaking humid and in the upper 80s to lower 90s, every time you walked out the door you were like a fountain and produced more sweat then a toilet sweats water on a hot day, and now this winter is horrible! I think this bad weather just follows me! No matter where I go! I'm on the complete opposite side of the state below Detroit, JR

It doesnt get too humid but for maybe a couple weeks out of the season, seems alittle more so lately...like our snowfall and temps I guess! LOL

I think the temp here is 8 degrees and with the windchill -12 degrees!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »

It doesnt get too humid but for maybe a couple weeks out of the season, seems alittle more so lately...like our snowfall and temps I guess! LOL

I think the temp here is 8 degrees and with the windchill -12 degrees!
I guess, that summer was freaking bad, not just for a few weeks, but the whole freaking summer! And now this winter is getting bad, we peaked at 31 today, that's the highest it's been in like two weeks, and were suppose to drop into the single digits by tonight and the rest of the week, we've already dropped to 27, the kids might have another school closing this week :wait: it only has to hit -10 and that's with a wind chill for them to close,, oh well. JR

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 17,436 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
It's that cold even that far to the south eh? I don't have anything outside to worry about so not much problem, although skiing in 0F with wind howling isn't particularly comfy, and taking boots off at the end is downright painful.

you would be surprised what a horse or cow can handle. Biggest thing is to get them out of the wind. 
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 10,526 Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 01:34:10 AM »
Yea the weather sucks here as well. 75 degrees without a cloud in the sky.  :whistle:

That gets you a  :megaslap: from the East coast....  >:(  We got about 2" of snow today, and it was a tropical 180 without the wind.  Going down to 5 tonight.  I don't envy the people going to Yankee Stadium tomorrow for the Devils-Blueskirts game.  Early forecasts are calling for similiar weather next Sunday for the Super Bowl too......

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D
No Life Club Posts: 4,632 I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 01:51:23 AM »
Last Wednesday it cracked 40oC where I was working and I got mild heat stroke, was off work sick Thursday.

... just sayin

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,685 Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
Its a balmy 0 degrees Fahrenheit with a -11f wind blowing at 10 15 mph.

its a nice day.  :facepalm:

Defend the Hive!!!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,917
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 02:55:59 AM »
We are on a roller coaster ride here with lots of wind. 60 +- for a couple days then 20 +- for a couple then.................. The only constant is the wind. Which is normal around here.    :o   I'm ready for spring then it can just go ahead and warm up.    :D

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.

Hold Fast
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 12,142 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02:57 AM »

Heavy insulated blankets.  It makes a huge difference.  They're actually toasty under them.  And yes, it more about wind and wet protection than actual temperature.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 05:26:16 AM »
Well were down to 8F with a windchill of -6F, and still going down. JR

Hero Member Posts: 774
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »

That gets you a  :megaslap: from the East coast....  >:(  We got about 2" of snow today, and it was a tropical 180 without the wind.  Going down to 5 tonight.  I don't envy the people going to Yankee Stadium tomorrow for the Devils-Blueskirts game.  Early forecasts are calling for similiar weather next Sunday for the Super Bowl too......

Shoot, we had clouds in Cali...still 75, though.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »
Last Wednesday it cracked 40oC where I was working and I got mild heat stroke, was off work sick Thursday.

... just sayin
Becareful, I did that about 5 years ago while I was in the fields baling hay. Not very fun.
that's us mobile

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

Well, at least we don't have to worry about wildfire season, mudslide season and chance of colossal earthquake.  :whistle:

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »

Well, at least we don't have to worry about wildfire season, mudslide season and chance of colossal earthquake.  :whistle:
Lol!
Just made to a warm 7 oF. Think I am going to go outside and do some tanning. :P

that's us mobile

No Life Club Posts: 2,013
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »

... just sayin
Becareful, I did that about 5 years ago while I was in the fields baling hay. Not very fun.
that's us mobile

You don't have the luxury of air conditioning then? Mind, I sometimes turn it off to get more power with a full trailer, but then it's back on again once I've tipped ;) Norfolk isn't very hilly, but it is actually quite noticeable on a little tractor.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
And it's snowing, AGAIN :-\ this week isn't looking to good! Looks like the kids schools might be closed a few days, any time it hits a temp lower then -10 there suppose to close, that includes wind chills.. At least today we hit 20f! JR

Today Snow. High near 25. South wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Tonight Snow, mainly before 10pm. Low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -10. Breezy, with a west wind 10 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday Night A chance of snow showers before 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -27. West wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 2. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -6.

Wednesday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 10.

Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 4. Breezy.

Thursday A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 23. Breezy.

Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.

Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 18.

Friday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12.

Saturday A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 27.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 19,658 Gone Hunting

dks cy

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »
A bit wet in the morning but most of the day was sunny and hot.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »

... just sayin
that's us mobile

You don't have the luxury of air conditioning then? Mind, I sometimes turn it off to get more power with a full trailer, but then it's back on again once I've tipped ;) Norfolk isn't very hilly, but it is actually quite noticeable on a little tractor.
Tractor didnt have a cab. But mainly it was tossing a couple of wagon loads of 60lb bales. 

that's us mobile

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,511 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:46 AM »
Today, we had a high of 58F (14C).

Tomorrow's forecasted low is 1F (-17C).

:o

There's a joke around here. If you don't like the weather, wait for 24 hours. Sometimes it's VERY true.
Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,280
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 01:23:31 AM »
Another groaner from Michigan here. :P Man I haven't seen so much cold and snow up here for nearly 30 years. I can't remember the last day that didn't snow. :bnghd:

Ah well, only two or three months to go... :(

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $372.43
PayPal Fees: $22.89
Net Balance: $349.54
Above Goal: $74.54
Site Currency: USD
127% 
November Donations

Community Links