Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK... Why???

Dale · 257 · 17180

us Offline Dale

SAK... Why???
on: January 27, 2014, 01:58:25 AM
First & foremost.. This is not a 'troll' post. Talking to my wife. I mentioned the following SAK has. She laughed, I myself can't understand it either. Not taking away from SAK owners... But SAK gets clowned on around these parts.. Seriously, what's the allure of the SAK? Do they have great warranties? Is it their size? Is  it being in a click? Fad? I have never been into them.. Could it be like my flaslight collection? For you SAK owners, enlighten me.

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: SAK... Why???
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:26 AM
Saks have a kick ass warranty(lifetime). They have some of the best drivers in them. they are small(some of them) with a ton of tools in them. The knife is a descent, saws and files work great. about the only thing they kinda lack on is the pliers. while then are great for some small stuff, your not going to be cutting any barbed wire with them.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:29 AM
You start by saying it's not a troll post, then follow with a troll post? What parts exactly are people clowning on Swiss Army Knives?

This post confuses me.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline Dale

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:09:25 AM
West Virginia, no where did I talk bad or make fun of SAK's. I am genuinely asking the allure of them. 

us Offline Dale

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:10:27 AM
Saks have a kick ass warranty(lifetime). They have some of the best drivers in them. they are small(some of them) with a ton of tools in them. The knife is a descent, saws and files work great. about the only thing they kinda lack on is the pliers. while then are great for some small stuff, your not going to be cutting any barbed wire with them.

+1 Thanks! I always wondered about their warranty.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:38 AM
You start by saying it's not a troll post, then follow with a troll post? What parts exactly are people clowning on Swiss Army Knives?

This post confuses me.
:think:
Nothing trollish about this post. maybe its just me.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:18 AM
Two mentions of people laughing at SAKs gave me that impression. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed more scoffish than inquisitive.

To answer the question, they're functional, compact, and inexpensive. They're also legal everywhere. There's a reason they've been around for 125 years.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline Dale

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:29:48 AM
Hope your not a psychic... Appreciate your response.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:44:21 AM
Compact,tool heavy,utterly reliable and trustworthy ,and with quality standards Leatherman ,Gerber and SOG can only dream of,and they don't cost a kings ransom :D

Oh,and watch McGyver too! :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Dale

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:47:15 AM
Compact,tool heavy,utterly reliable and trustworthy ,and with quality standards Leatherman ,Gerber and SOG can only dream of,and they don't cost a kings ransom :D

LOL!!  :rofl:  Best explanation yet! Now on the whole better quality than leatherman? I remain dubious.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:57 AM
Great tool density , implements work well , compact package . Long story short , whatever else I carry , I always have a SAK .

Chris

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:31 AM

LOL!!  :rofl:  Best explanation yet! Now on the whole better quality than leatherman? I remain dubious.

If you were this side of the pond,I'd send you one to road test! But as one of our forumites said ' Ashes to ashes,dust to dust. Bury me with my Victorinox,cos leathermen rust'

Saying that,I carry a LM most days,but then again I carry a SAK every day :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Dale

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:01:36 AM
So would it be a safe assumption to say the SAK is used for smaller jobs that a full sized multi tool would be overkill?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:47 AM
So would it be a safe assumption to say the SAK is used for smaller jobs that a full sized multi tool would be overkill?

Yeah,that's fair!

The other thing is that in a lot of places the 'little red knife' is publicly accepted and trusted in a way that multitools,especially the newer ones with oho blades arn't .

I've had SAKs since I was twelve,and lusted after a LM since I first saw one in my late twentys. My EDC over December was really retro,in that I've went back to the PST,albeit one I've modded to be fully UK legal,and I rotated three different Vic Tinkers through.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:18:48 AM by kirk13 »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 03:19:27 AM
Oh,and don't lift the Alox vs Cellidor stone :whistle:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 03:23:49 AM
Everything here is accurate :tu:  There are so many different models of them available that you should be able to find one that suits your needs based on your typical daily life/work, etc.  Once you have that one (or 2 or 3 or 10 :whistle:), you can probably take care of the majority of your daily needs :tu:  I carry both a multitool (typically Leatherman) and a SAK every day.  I can honestly say that I primarily use the SAK, and only occasionally ever need the MT. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 03:25:06 AM
Saks are wonderful tools. They are almost completely rust proof, have a variety of useful implements, are shiny, have really sharp blades out of the package, and can help you in in innumerable ways. Chances are there is one that fits your needs perfectly, and if there isn't, many of us at MTO can mod one to. 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:03 AM
During the day, even at work, my go-to tool is a SAK.  It has almost everything I need to handle most tasks without weighing down my belt in a sheath or adding excess bulk to my pocket like a full sized multitool would.  My multitools are kept near to hand in my bag, but they can go weeks without seeing any use at times.  Working in retail, a SAK is very people-friendly, which is a big advantage when opening or fixing something around customers.  Even with a smaller model like a Tinker, I've very rarely ever felt under equipped to handle whatever jobs I need done throughout the day.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Dale

Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 03:35:15 AM
I'm a Semi truck driver... I go up in the woods a good deal  with 18 wheelers, tri & quad axles. Many times I need something HEAVY duty. Therein is part of the reason for this post. Although I have to admit I am perusing them as we speak. I could pull out a machete & no one wiill bat an eye.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:36:47 AM by Dale »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 03:39:11 AM

us Offline Dale

Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 03:43:37 AM
This is my work tool... Surprising how handy this thing can be....

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 03:45:13 AM
As a pure functional pocket knife (i.e. considering only knife blades), a SAK is at least as good as any other pocket knife of comparable size.  The stainless steel they use takes a good edge, is quite rust resistant, and is easy to sharpen.  But (unlike a stockman, say) a SAK usually also has a number of other useful tools, including screwdrivers, bottle and can openers, etc., etc.  I find SAK tools are well-designed and executed, and more than adequate for their intended functions (and then some).

With regard to quality control, I probably have 40 or 50 SAKs, and have not seen one come out of the box with F&F or W&T issues.  Warranty is also top notch, as all real SAKs carry a lifetime manufacturer's warranty against any defects in materials or workmanship.

SAKs are also a tremendous value for the money.  Many popular models can be had NIB for under $35.

I don't agree that SAKs are for light duty only.  As DTT said, the only implements where a SAK is at a considerable disadvantage to some other MTs are the pliers and wire cutters.  SAKs are serious tools, perhaps even surprisingly capable, especially 91mm size and larger.  People have skinned and field-dressed game with them, and for a good thread on how much punishment a SAK can take, see Jothra's 30-day Huntsman Challenge ( http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=46255.0 ).  It is kind of a long thread, but an engaging read IMO.

us Offline Dale

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:34 AM
Ivhave to agree about value. If they are as durable as stated. The prices seem quite reasonable

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 05:00:23 AM
But SAK gets clowned on around these parts.

No. Not a troll post at all.

They don't panic hoplophobes, oversized children, and the weak minded as much a Leatherman (buddy of mine has been told by his boss to keep his "butterfly knife" at home, "the one with pliers in it"). The price is right. Form factor is smaller than a pliers based multi. They've been proven in peace, disaster and war by professionals and people who just want to go home at the end of the day. In short, they work.

Never mind that they also have a evolutionary importance, as the perfection of the pocket knife style of multitools as origionally developed as scout knives and soldier's knives.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 05:05:03 AM
not much else to add other than they are pretty great tools especially when paired as most do with a LM or any MT for that matter.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Dale

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:29 AM
@ Ironraven, truth is not trolling... But I appreciate your  input & agree.  Because someone says something you don't agree with or like? It doesn't make it a troll post.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:14:33 AM by Dale »

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:28 AM
I can get my pliers from a 2 dollar set at  the flea market.  The BIG SAKS 130mm Wenger and 111mm Vic Can outperform any tool in their leage.

The small SAKs sit nicely in the pocket compared to a pliered tool.

I still love leatherman.  I have 3 original PSTs and a sidekick on the way.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 08:38:25 AM

Maybe this will be of more interest to you. ST300 strength with swiss precision.

http://www.multitool.org/Victorinox/Large-Tools/2006/03/14/victorinox-swisstool.html
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
What? You survived without a SAK so far? And in West Virginia, one of the states where people live in balance with the natural enviroment?
I loved WV, the old houses, the little rivers and all the Americana of it. The only think I hated there were the giant mosquitoes of bomber/fighter, day and night, all weather class. But even a SAK can't do much against them. It can do most other things though.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:34 AM
Jothra's 30-day Huntsman Challenge ( http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=46255.0 ).  It is kind of a long thread, but an engaging read IMO.
I just quoted this for emphasis.

Rust Resistance, something other MT can only dream off.
They are also little engines that can. You have an old SAK that does not have good snap anymore? Just clean it and it will be like new. Oh, and they have excellent scissors, best wood saws (Saw Test by Lynn) in business.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%