Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK... Why???

Dale · 257 · 17181

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Re: SAK... Why???
Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 05:14:47 AM
Basically it comes down to this:

If you need the best pliers and cutters, go with SOG

If you want great drivers, awesome blades and the best awl on the market, Vic.

If you prefer a great all-around tool, one of the higher quality LM tools.

However, your choice in the above should directly affect, but not cancel the carry of a SAK.

That's my sincere opinion, YMMV.

Oh, and then there's gerber.

us Offline Dale

Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 05:16:37 AM
I actually ordered a SOG powerlock three days before getting the X
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:18:44 AM by Dale »

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline Romanoat

Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:18 AM

I like my powerlock. Good tool. Just takes a backseat to my big LM stuff and my swisstool nowadays. I carried that powerlock for over a year and beat it to hell plenty. I even dropped it from a telephone pole once. Still works fine.

us Offline Dale

Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 05:31:58 AM
Gerber MP600.

First! :D

In truth, there are a lot of good tools out there, and maybe a few 'not great' tools that i think people still ought to experience... if you can get them dirt cheap.

Lol! Lynn I had to go look... I didnt even know what it was... I have a Gerber MP600

us Offline Dale

Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 05:33:17 AM

I like my powerlock. Good tool. Just takes a backseat to my big LM stuff and my swisstool nowadays. I carried that powerlock for over a year and beat it to hell plenty. I even dropped it from a telephone pole once. Still works fine.

Whats the little sprocket looking deal up by the pliers?

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 05:36:22 AM
Well Dale i guess you have now met the Swiss Mob. I have a love hate relation ship with the Swiss stuff. My opinion is they are way rated. I own over thirty SAKs and like them all right but dont see what all the fuse is about. I have had several Swiss Tools that had loose plier pivots, tool componet lock up that had lots of vertical and horizonal play. I know that not all Swiis Tools were like the ones I've encounted. But that is my experience with them and I'm unimpressed with all the bravo sierra about swiss quality. I did not think your post was trolling but ome of the swiss folks here have thin skin as you have now found out. I hope they settle down and you can enjoy youself. MTO is a good place.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Dale

Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 05:47:44 AM
Thanks David, after rereading it I could see what they were saying. Not unlike the Surefire cult in other forums. But oh well... Live & let live,   :cheers:

us Offline Romanoat

Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:46 AM

Whats the little sprocket looking deal up by the pliers?

That keeps the handles in time while opening. Makes for a smooth open/close. Contrary to popular belief that's actually NOT the compound leverage. The added leverage comes from the pliers having a second point of motion. There was a really good thread on it in the SOG forum not too long ago.

us Offline Romanoat

Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 05:56:45 AM

us Offline Dale

Reply #69 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:05 AM
Good article, very informative. Interesting how the two seperate pivot points increase  leverage

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 08:36:57 AM
Well Dale i guess you have now met the Swiss Mob. I have a love hate relation ship with the Swiss stuff. My opinion is they are way rated. I own over thirty SAKs and like them all right but dont see what all the fuse is about. I have had several Swiss Tools that had loose plier pivots, tool componet lock up that had lots of vertical and horizonal play. I know that not all Swiis Tools were like the ones I've encounted. But that is my experience with them and I'm unimpressed with all the bravo sierra about swiss quality. I did not think your post was trolling but ome of the swiss folks here have thin skin as you have now found out. I hope they settle down and you can enjoy youself. MTO is a good place.    :D

Well put David. I personally have owned two brand new Swiss Tools and was not nearly as impressed with their quality as many others are. One of my Swiss Tools was very nice, it did have an impressive snap when closing the tools and it was an all around good tool. The other one that I had was a POS in my opinion! The primary knife blade on my brand new Swiss Tool Spirit X came in contact with part of the frame when the blade was closed which dinged the blade edge every sing time. Unacceptable for a tool that retails for over $110! Now I'm not saying that every Swiss Tool is junk, I just happened to get a lemon I believe. I'm sure the same thing happens with Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, etc, but it really turned me off on the Victorinox brand all together. I do also own a couple SAKs, one Wenger & one Victorinox, they are cute little knives and I can really see why people collect them. I tried carrying one daily and they just didn't do it for me. I much prefer one of my Leatherman Waves or Charges as my EDC tool. But, to each their own. :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:14 AM
Swiss Mob?

I think the OP asked about SAKs and why people like them so they told him. Only one ?  post found the post suspicious but that was cleared quickly.

The OP has bought a few multitools and should be able to decide what he likes.

I am not fond of the swisstools as I find them too nice looking but it does not mean that I can not see why some people like them. For me the ST300 is a better tool; for me.

The good thing about this forum is that, at least so far, there have not been any strong signs of fan-boys, mob culture etc. most people here own and use a variety of tools, appreciating each tool for what it is rather than where it is made and who told them to buy it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 09:26:53 AM
I think the main points and cons and pros have been mentioned.
All I want to add is a friendly hello and welcome to MT.O.
My main MT at work is a Gerber MP 600, but I use SAKs alot as complimenting tool. It´s handy, can be used in public without raised eyebrows and packs a lot for it´s size. And it´s easier to slice fruit with it - and tastes better then with my MP 600 which has seen all sorts of dirt, grime and liquids.

If you still don´t own one, PM me your address and I´ll send you a used Spartan.
It´s the same tool configuration as the first Swiss Officers Knife and somehow teh starting point of the SAK itself and of many collections.
Then you can decide for yourself if the followers are just raving or if you choose to become one of them yourself.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #73 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:11 AM
Swiss Spirit is a good one. They are built well and will rarely rust. One warning, they are slick when wet, greasy or oily.   

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Online WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #74 on: January 28, 2014, 11:41:21 AM
Welcome Dale and nice to meet you :salute: Why a SAK? "tool-box in your pocket" that has a lifetime warranty and super rust resistant and extremely compact that makes me feel "prepared" (boy-scout lingo)  ;)

I loved my Spirit for a long time but over time found I didn't need pliers or cutters and nowadays I just carry a SAK & flashlight in a pouch:

Champion Plus & Ultra Fire B3 (such a small bright little light)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: January 28, 2014, 12:40:11 PM
Yeah good choice kirky  :salute: although in my Backpack ive got my sidekick as backup to my s2 ,i really like the s2 as is a good urban edc and lies flat in my pocket on a dangler  :tu:

As for vic quality vs lm there is no competition vics are spot on,my s2 for example is functional but has a few issues like the tin opener needs pushing into place when closing, plus had to file the tin opener to make it cut better ,you dont get these issues with victorinox as for sog there files suck and lm's diamond file rocks  :salute:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:41:12 PM by Zed »

hr Online enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #76 on: January 28, 2014, 02:15:10 PM
Swiss Mob?

I think the OP asked about SAKs and why people like them so they told him. Only one ?  post found the post suspicious but that was cleared quickly.

The OP has bought a few multitools and should be able to decide what he likes.

I am not fond of the swisstools as I find them too nice looking but it does not mean that I can not see why some people like them. For me the ST300 is a better tool; for me.

The good thing about this forum is that, at least so far, there have not been any strong signs of fan-boys, mob culture etc. most people here own and use a variety of tools, appreciating each tool for what it is rather than where it is made and who told them to buy it.

You must be new here. :P

I think David used the Swiss mob jokingly and it's somewhat true. ;) I admit I belong to the swiss mob too. :D We do love our Swiss made tools here. I prefer the Spirit over the Wave/Charge and similar sized tools in that category any day for a number of reasons. If I had to choose only one tool, that would be it. But it does have its bad sides too, cutting thin or stranded wire being one.

BUT in the larger category of Swisstool vrs ST300, the ST300 wins. The pliers open wider and allow you to grip larger objects, screws, pipes, ... a big plus in my books for a larger tool. Yes, it's a FAT, wide tool and it does rust but I can control it easier than the swisstool as I don't have to adjust my grip when cutting something harder as the Swisstool keeps slipping.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #77 on: January 28, 2014, 02:17:16 PM
The Croatian Mob?

:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Online enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #78 on: January 28, 2014, 02:35:15 PM
>:D our numbers grow every day.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: January 28, 2014, 02:36:04 PM
Sosak Mafia?
Swiss mafia?

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Dale

Reply #80 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:25 PM
I think the ST 300 excels because of it's simplicity. Let's take a big honkin piece of metal twist it add blades & a heavy duty set of pliers. The quinessential no frills beast of a MT. As to the spirit slipping... I was thinking about that yesterday. Not that it matters, I've been lusting over the Spirit X for about a year now. The clean smooth design which is eye catching to some will also have a few cons.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: January 28, 2014, 02:50:11 PM
They are very sweet looking. I used to have one. Had a Swisstool too. They are made very well.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Dale

Reply #82 on: January 28, 2014, 02:56:24 PM
I do wish we could move on from the Swiss Mafia topic.. As I sit here yodeling, I have a strange craving for Hot Cocoa.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: January 28, 2014, 03:01:05 PM
Can't, once your in, your in. No turning back now.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Dale

Reply #84 on: January 28, 2014, 03:21:35 PM
 :rofl: While I am far from ready to be taught the secret hand shake. I have been looking at the Super Tinker... Not sure what I need it for, other than lack of restraint & enthusiasm.

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #85 on: January 28, 2014, 03:36:10 PM
Maybe the best approach is to buy 4 or 5 at least so you can have a better idea of their possibilities  >:D

Ultimately if you dont like them its a great excuse for a giveaway  :rofl:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
:rofl: While I am far from ready to be taught the secret hand shake. I have been looking at the Super Tinker... Not sure what I need it for, other than lack of restraint & enthusiasm.

You know there's a SuperTinker with Stars and Stripes scales?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Dale

Reply #87 on: January 28, 2014, 03:56:06 PM
I'm trying to figure out the best one to get to compliment The Spirit X... Any ideas gentlemen?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: January 28, 2014, 03:58:20 PM
I'm trying to figure out the best one to get to compliment The Spirit X... Any ideas gentlemen?

Compact?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #89 on: January 28, 2014, 04:08:30 PM

Compact?

This is a good suggestion.  There really isn't much the Spirit lacks that a SAK can add, other than better scissors, scale and back tools.  If you like the mag glass, then the Explorer or Yeoman would be good too.  Of course the Yeoman isn't as easy to come by, and it's not cheap if you can get one, unless it's a good used one :think:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD