Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the perfect sak ?

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:00 PM
What do you guys thinks is the perfect sak, any amount of layers, mods are fine, pictures would be great.
CHEERS

Offline derv

Re: What is the perfect sak ?
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:55:51 PM
For me:

Main blade
Scissors
Cybertool bit driver
Pliers
Bottle opener/flathead
Awl
Corkscrew
T&T

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:04:28 PM
I like the ct41
that's us mobile, eh.

Nate

SEND IT!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 05:18:51 PM
Front
Blade layer wit alox awl
Blade layer with serrated blade and small blade
File
Scissors
Pliers
Phillips+beefed up bottle opener(same layer)

Back side
Bit driver
Hook
Chisel

Copper or brass plus scales

About this. Perhaps some fine tuning needed.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:26:55 PM
Let's see, on my part.
Main blade,
Can opener, w/mini tip,
Bottle opener, w/ large regular screwdriver,
Scissors,
Saw,
Philips,,
And lastly a nail file,

The closest ones to match this is the fieldmaster which doesn't have the nail file which the Wenger handyman does, but I never liked the two openers up front on a Wenger. Then I started looking into alox styles because there's no tools on the back, and I like the aluminum scales, but have only half the tools Im looking for, and the closest ones would be the farmer, which has the saw, or the cadet which you ditched the saw, but gained the nail file(and both of course have the main blade and two openers up front) So I ended up having one custom made by syph007.. JR
Thus the "Pharmber"
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:47:52 PM
^^^ awesome ^^^
CHEERS

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 06:09:20 PM
The Swisschamp. So much utility and it's exactly what I would have wanted as a boy if such a thing had been available then  :)
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 06:20:08 PM
The Swisschamp. So much utility and it's exactly what I would have wanted as a boy if such a thing had been available then  :)
My grandfather gave me a Champion Plus as my first sak for my 12 birthday, I waited just over two years for that! Of course I lost it in the woods a only year later, all to be found a year later by falling right on my face, luckily it was in a leather sheath to protect it from the seasons, needed a good cleaning but it turned out ok, still have it to this day.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:22:46 PM
Great story that  :tu: I bet you treasure it.
Gabba gabba hey!!

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 06:33:17 PM
For most of my everyday uses:

Large blade

Cap Lifter / Screw Driver

Can Opener / Screw Driver (which can also be used for Philips screws)

Awl

In short: the Victorinox Pioneer.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:21 PM
There is no perfect SAK, IMO.  The Cybertool 41 covers most of the bases for me.

...and it's retired...  :think:

There are many other smaller SAKs that cover specific purposes for me, such as the Explorer (for urban carry) or the Farmer (for outdoors activities).  However, I feel that the "perfect" SAK should cover all those duties.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:53:15 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 06:51:31 PM
I think the Climber/Super-Tinker is pretty darn close, for actual, REAL use day to day for me.

I have 2 Climbers now, a Silvertech and a Stayglow. I can't figure out which I like better. :ahhh

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:39 PM
Great story that  :tu: I bet you treasure it.
Of course! The sheath that he gave me when i turned 12, was just a plain leather one, but the one he had, had the steel on the side of it, and i always wanted that, so when he passed i took his sak along with his sheath, so i put my old sak in his sheath with the steel, Steve from on here  also made me a unique little piece of mine to have, he took the scales off of his and used a piece of wood to make a fake sak, he also used the corkscrew off of his knife to fix the one he gave me, and on the custom one i had made the saw was used, it was like new, i dont think he ever used it, but still everything has a little piece to remember him by.. JR

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:58:45 PM
Cybertool for me... I just can't decide between 34, 41, or the custom GigaHz electric cyber champ lite...

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:22:28 PM
My perfect SAK would be an Alox Fieldmaster. :tu:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 07:48:24 PM
The one your carrying.

But seriously, this...

After making this I've lost all interest in modding TBH. I made my ultimate SAK. :D

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:50:01 PM
My perfect SAK now is the Super Tinker with black nylon scales.
If I ever win the lottery however, it would be a custom Syph007 special, black alox pioneer with scissors, side by side openers & and in line phillips driver.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:20 PM
Oh that's a tough question.  If I was just going on stock models, I would probably say the Explorer overall.  If it had a nailfile on the hook like the Compact, it would be darn close to perfect for me :tu: 

As I have a couple mods, I would have said probably the Yeochamp when I first got it, but over time I've come to realize I'd rather have the small blade and opener layer instead of the combo tool.  My Alox Mechaneer is good too, but it lacks scissors and a nailfile, which are two things I prefer to have on a SAK if possible.  So the perfect Alox for me would be a Pioneer with scissors and a nailfile in place of the awl.  Sort of like JR's minus the saw.  Not sure if I'd want the phillips/opener layer, or just the opener layer though :think: 
K-Tibbs

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:22:28 PM
Er,at first I thought it was the Master Craftsman/Astronaut, but in my mind,logically? It's gotta the SuperTinker.

In my heart,it's probably my Million Dollar Wenger.

In practicality,it's whatever one I'm carrying at the time...they don't make many clunkers!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:29:36 PM
A Centurion with a OH, non-serrated, blade and red scales.........well i can hope :gimme:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:46 PM
At the moment it would be a vic ranger with wenger wrench and
old magnifying glass instead of scissors, but no way witout the hook,
as I'm with Styerman http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=49326.msg822889;topicseen#msg822889
for me he hook is mandatory too   :D

ca Offline ianbalgobin

Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:01 PM
A Centurion with a OH, non-serrated, blade and red scales.........well i can hope :gimme:

Close...
I'd like a Centurion with
  • One-Hand Opening, Non-Serrated, Locking Blade
  • Straight Pin, Pen, Tweezers & Toothpick in the scales
  • CyberTool Bit Driver with Bit Holder
Scissors and Magnifying Glass would be bonuses.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 10:35:31 PM
Oh that's a tough question.  If I was just going on stock models, I would probably say the Explorer overall.  If it had a nailfile on the hook like the Compact, it would be darn close to perfect for me :tu: 

As I have a couple mods, I would have said probably the Yeochamp when I first got it, but over time I've come to realize I'd rather have the small blade and opener layer instead of the combo tool.  My Alox Mechaneer is good too, but it lacks scissors and a nailfile, which are two things I prefer to have on a SAK if possible.  So the perfect Alox for me would be a Pioneer with scissors and a nailfile in place of the awl.  Sort of like JR's minus the saw.  Not sure if I'd want the phillips/opener layer, or just the opener layer though :think:
Oh just admit you want mine.. lol JR

us Offline burnside

Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 10:39:10 PM
Aside from modified SAKs, I think the perfect SAK would be the Pioneer/Soldier for Alox, and the Spartan/Tinker for Celidor (depending on whether you prefer the corckscrew or backside philips driver).

Otherwise it's the SwissChamp. Preferably in black  :drool:

us Offline Papa Rich

• What's This ?
Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 11:02:12 PM

Stayglow Cybertool 41 is the BEST SAK when your SAK is carried in a pouch on your belt.
Victorinox Rich

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:54 PM
I will have to say the swisschamp

Swiss Army knives
CHEERS

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:17 PM
There is no perfect SAK, IMO.  The Cybertool 41 covers most of the bases for me.

...and it's retired...  :think:

There are many other smaller SAKs that cover specific purposes for me, such as the Explorer (for urban carry) or the Farmer (for outdoors activities).  However, I feel that the "perfect" SAK should cover all those duties.

We probably shouldn't take "perfect" in an absolute sense here, but pretty close maybe?

gb Offline Philby

Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:41 PM
I'd say either the Ranger or the Master Craftsman, most tools on a pocket carry knife. For me it's Master Craftsman because I like the back Philips.  I like wine! Have over the last few years been over indulging. Although I've only opened a bottle with a Sak on a few occasions, getting Saks with the Philips instead, seems like the sober option. :angel:  they also look and feel a lot more solid! At the moment I'm firmly in camp back Philips :tu:

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:31 PM
I'd say either the Ranger or the Master Craftsman, most tools on a pocket carry knife. For me it's Master Craftsman because I like the back Philips.  I like wine! Have over the last few years been over indulging. Although I've only opened a bottle with a Sak on a few occasions, getting Saks with the Philips instead, seems like the sober option. :angel:  they also look and feel a lot more solid! At the moment I'm firmly in camp back Philips :tu:

It's also a cheaper option over time...    ;)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 12:41:09 AM

Corkscrews are not just for opening wine!  :twak:  They have many uses, not the least important of which is carrying the mini screwdriver!

Once I used the inline phillips driver, I never wanted to use a backspring phillips again.

As you can tell, I'm firmly in the "other" camp.  ;)  I have been for years...

:climber: <This guy gets it!  :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:43:43 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31