Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the perfect sak ?

ca Offline ianbalgobin

Re: What is the perfect sak ?
Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:12 AM
I'd say either the Ranger or the Master Craftsman, most tools on a pocket carry knife. For me it's Master Craftsman because I like the back Philips.  I like wine! Have over the last few years been over indulging. Although I've only opened a bottle with a Sak on a few occasions, getting Saks with the Philips instead, seems like the sober option. :angel:  they also look and feel a lot more solid! At the moment I'm firmly in camp back Philips :tu:

Corkscrews are not just for opening wine!  :twak:  They have many uses, not the least important of which is carrying the mini screwdriver!

Once I used the inline phillips driver, I never wanted to use a backspring phillips again.

As you can tell, I'm firmly in the "other" camp.  ;)  I have been for years...

:climber: <This guy gets it!  :P

Agreed!
I spent years thinking the corkscrew was a dumb addition to the backspring.  The Tinker was one of the first models I picked up.  Then I used it.  Picked up an Explorer within hours.  I'm not a wine guy, but the corkscrew is one of those tools that when you need one, nothing else will do.  And that mini-screwdriver is incredible.

I'm switching between a CyberTool 34 and the custom CyberYeoman right now.  I like the CT34, but don't use the pliers.  I love the magnifying glass on the CyberYeoman.
2014-01-16 15.33.03.jpg
* 2014-01-16 15.33.03.jpg (Filesize: 147.04 KB)

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 01:17:00 AM
I'm guessing someone would say the Spirit X, if it counts as a SAK.
Leatherman

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:27 AM
Oh that's a tough question.  If I was just going on stock models, I would probably say the Explorer overall.  If it had a nailfile on the hook like the Compact, it would be darn close to perfect for me :tu: 

As I have a couple mods, I would have said probably the Yeochamp when I first got it, but over time I've come to realize I'd rather have the small blade and opener layer instead of the combo tool.  My Alox Mechaneer is good too, but it lacks scissors and a nailfile, which are two things I prefer to have on a SAK if possible.  So the perfect Alox for me would be a Pioneer with scissors and a nailfile in place of the awl.  Sort of like JR's minus the saw.  Not sure if I'd want the phillips/opener layer, or just the opener layer though :think:
Oh just admit you want mine.. lol JR

If it wasn't for the saw, I'd consider taking it off your hands for cheap ;)  I'm torn on the Phillips/opener layer vs the plain opener layer.  The can opener can be used as a Phillips anyway, but I know the actual Phillips would be better.  I think a nice 3 layer Alox Pioneer with scissors and nailfile in place of the awl would be darn near the perfect urban alox model for me :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 03:41:19 AM
I'm thinking this... Atleast for now :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:05 AM
Oh that's a tough question.  If I was just going on stock models, I would probably say the Explorer overall.  If it had a nailfile on the hook like the Compact, it would be darn close to perfect for me :tu: 

As I have a couple mods, I would have said probably the Yeochamp when I first got it, but over time I've come to realize I'd rather have the small blade and opener layer instead of the combo tool.  My Alox Mechaneer is good too, but it lacks scissors and a nailfile, which are two things I prefer to have on a SAK if possible.  So the perfect Alox for me would be a Pioneer with scissors and a nailfile in place of the awl.  Sort of like JR's minus the saw.  Not sure if I'd want the phillips/opener layer, or just the opener layer though :think:

If it wasn't for the saw, I'd consider taking it off your hands for cheap ;)  I'm torn on the Phillips/opener layer vs the plain opener layer.  The can opener can be used as a Phillips anyway, but I know the actual Phillips would be better.  I think a nice 3 layer Alox Pioneer with scissors and nailfile in place of the awl would be darn near the perfect urban alox model for me :tu:
Well don't look at me I didn't make it, and you sure in hell ain't taking mine off my hands for cheap, let alone for good price! So :P  lol JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:21 AM
For my needs, a SG Climber is probably as close to perfect as I can get off the shelf.  I would like it even better if the hook had the nail file on it, though.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 04:58:40 AM
For my needs, a SG Climber is probably as close to perfect as I can get off the shelf.  I would like it even better if the hook had the nail file on it, though.

I think the hook nail file should be standard on all the SAKs with a hook.  I don't see why it couldn't be.  If you don't care to have a nail file, it's not like it interferes with the functionality of the hook. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 05:00:39 AM

Well don't look at me I didn't make it, and you sure in hell ain't taking mine off my hands for cheap, let alone for good price! So :P  lol JR

Haha I know you didn't make it, just like I didn't make my Mechaneer ;)  If I had been thinking right, I should have just gotten scissors and the nailfile on it while I had the chance and was free to spend what I needed to get it :facepalm:  Oh well, live and learn right ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 05:13:10 AM

Haha I know you didn't make it, just like I didn't make my Mechaneer ;)  If I had been thinking right, I should have just gotten scissors and the nailfile on it while I had the chance and was free to spend what I needed to get it :facepalm:  Oh well, live and learn right ;)
No it's, you live, you learn, then you buy Luvs, well, you should! :rofl: oh that was a good one! Lol!! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 05:38:01 AM
There is no perfect SAK, but trying to find it is fun.   ;)  I find the Rambler to be pretty refined.  It covers a lot of my everyday needs without having anything superfluous.  For 91mm I like the Passenger.  One thing's for sure though, if you ask me next week you'll get a different answer.   :D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 06:08:52 AM
I'm not sure there really is a perfect SAK for me :-\.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 06:40:47 AM
I think my views on the Huntsman are well known.

I wouldn't mind if there were a regular, non-custom alox Huntsman -- particularly if it had the backside tools and some sort of setup for toothpick and tweezers.

But really, I should just investigate custom scales for the Huntsman I have.

england Offline macabee

Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 07:50:09 AM
The one you have on your belt, or in your pocket as you read this :climber:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

de Offline crackout

Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:50 AM
Say my name.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:06 PM

No it's, you live, you learn, then you buy Luvs, well, you should! :rofl: oh that was a good one! Lol!! JR

Nice one man :rofl: 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Prof. Gadget

Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 02:39:52 PM
My deluxe Tinker! Shown in my Avatar.      Prof.

Offline derv

Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 02:49:45 PM
My deluxe Tinker! Shown in my Avatar.      Prof.

I literally just ordered a DT. I'm stoked about the pliers and back phillips. I do love wine, though...i'll have to keep the Explorer close!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%