Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do not whine reference customs for YOUR country:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Re: Do not whine reference customs for YOUR country:
Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:06 PM
Anyones know about the eBay global shipping program? No additional import charges at delivery, and includes international tracking. Competitive international shipping rates and allow items to ship more quicky. ::)

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Thats a benefit to the seller, but sucks for the buyer.  Costs more than it should as you are basically paying double shipping to protect the seller.

+1 Personally as a buyer I avoid these sales.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:05 PM
Syph got some stuff from me out side of ebay. I tried to ship it through paypal. It was $40 to ship it through paypal. $40 was the cheapest legal paypal option. I shipped it regular mail for $12. If paypal does not except it, the seller is not covered. Why should the seller take this chance?

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:34 PM
$40 was the cheapest legal paypal option.

Wait a second.... So by PP anything below that $40 option was.... illegal:o

(sorry, couldn't resist  :cheers:)

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 11:11:59 PM
Random example. CVW listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Victorinox-Swiss-Army-84mm-Knife-21-51-/130997515978?_trksid=p2047675.l4066

Shipping for Canada includes two options:

A) US $7.95 via USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service

or:

B) US $25.00 via USPS Priority Mail International

I always got with option A when buying SAKs from CVW's eBay store since they added this option and never had a problem, tracking numbers working too. Just an example because there are other US sellers offering similar options.

I have no idea how he does this. If I knew how I would gladly change my ebay listings to international. I should list something live now and let you see my options. Maybe cause he sells so much stuff?

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:49 PM

(sorry, couldn't resist  :cheers:)

$40 was the cheapest choice. There was no option less than $40. To me that is paypal legal.

us Offline condcup

Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 11:45:23 PM
GigaHz, if I remember correctly in 2013 USPS increased their international shipping rates, they added the new E-Delcon tracking service. PayPal and eBay should "except" in the CVW's USPS First-Class Mail Intl with E-Delcon Service.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:56:01 PM by condcup »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:10 PM
Syph got some stuff from me out side of ebay. I tried to ship it through paypal. It was $40 to ship it through paypal. $40 was the cheapest legal paypal option. I shipped it regular mail for $12. If paypal does not except it, the seller is not covered. Why should the seller take this chance?

I too have tried to ship thru Ebay and Paypal to Syph and it does show that high of cost because it wants you to ship it Priority International or similiar that can be tracked but like GigahZ stated, if you go down to the post office First class international is only about $10-12.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:06 PM

(sorry, couldn't resist  :cheers: )

$40 was the cheapest choice. There was no option less than $40. To me that is paypal legal.

Condcup might be on to something here.

It depends on the location though.
Beginning July 28, the USPS is adding free Electronic Delivery Confirmation to 15 additional countries for First Class Package International Service. Those countries are the following:
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Croatia
Denmark
France
Germany
Great Britain
Ireland
Israel
Netherlands
New Zealand
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

Eric Nash, Director of Online Marketing for Stamps.com, said that since the UK and Australia will get free Delivery Confirmation (DC) as of July 28, ecommerce sellers should be very excited. And, he said, eBay sellers will now get free tracking posted back into eBay for free when using First Class Package International Service. "Based on what eBay did in January for the addition of Electronic Delivery Confirmation for First Class Package Intl. Service packages going to Canada, I think this tracking will qualify for eBay Seller Protection."

http://www.ecommercebytes...m/cab/abn/y13/m07/i11/s01

No Canada on that list but it says additional, and I don't know what countries were on the list previously. And he says he thinks it should qualify for Canada. ::) Was the package to Canada tracked?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:00:00 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline condcup

Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:16 PM
E-Delcon Service known as "Post Exprès". ::)

us Offline condcup

Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 12:01:57 AM
More info here: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Countries Accepting Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International Service

Australia
Israel
Belgium
Italy
Brazil
Latvia
Canada
Lithuania
Croatia
Luxembourg
Denmark
Malaysia
Estonia
Malta
Finland
Netherlands
France
New Zealand
Germany
Portugal
Gibraltar
Singapore
Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Spain
Hungary
Switzerland

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:58 AM
It is a hassle for sure I can see both sides of the coin. 

For me to ship tracked to europe is probably $45, but non tracked air mail is $10.  Of all the stuff Ive shipped I just sent it the cheap way and while that doesn't protect me by paypal standards, Im not charging people 45 to ship.  Now Ive sent about 125 SAKs to europe and other non US countries and so far nothing has gone missing at all, so I havent gotten screwed over or anything.

Ive sold a couple hundred msc items on ebay over the last decade and never shipped a tracked method either, and never been screwed, so Im either just lucky, or the mail system is generally ok.. dunno.   

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 12:11:42 AM

For me to ship tracked to europe is probably $45, but non tracked air mail is $10.  Of all the stuff Ive shipped I just sent it the cheap way and while that doesn't protect me by paypal standards, Im not charging people 45 to ship.  Now Ive sent about 125 SAKs to europe and other non US countries and so far nothing has gone missing at all, so I havent gotten screwed over or anything.

Ive sold a couple hundred msc items on ebay over the last decade and never shipped a tracked method either, and never been screwed, so Im either just lucky, or the mail system is generally ok.. dunno.

:tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 12:19:56 AM

My online purchases folder in my email inbox has over 1000 emails in it for international purchases (so probably about 350 orders) and I've shipped a few packages to the US and European countries too. One, ONLY one package ever didn't arrive and I'm not sure if that was even shipped.

Actually I hear lots more stories on the forum from US members having their packages lost within the US. :shrug:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:06 AM
Out of all the transactions that I have done within the US and outside the US, only one didnt make it and it went to California!  Go figure! :)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 12:39:49 AM
Actually I hear lots more stories on the forum from US members having their packages lost within the US. :shrug:

The last 3 packages of mine that didn't arrive all got lost somewhere inside the US, and USPS were extremely uninterested in their whereabouts.  >:(
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 12:56:31 AM

The last 3 packages of mine that didn't arrive all got lost somewhere inside the US, and USPS were extremely uninterested in their whereabouts.  >:(

only package I've ever shipped that got lost was a Super Tool that was being shipped to another US member. I talked to multiple employees at multiple post offices along the route, and like Greg said, no one at USPS seemed very concerned about the location of my package. >:( luckily I had paid for insurance on that one...

never had a problem with any of my international shipments. and I just noticed that we don't have a "fingers crossed" smiley... :ahhh

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 01:01:43 AM

I couldn't believe the jump in price for what I shipped to Germany.  I don't know how tracking can add $35 onto the cost, as it doesn't get there any quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 01:10:00 AM
I know it is not entirely legal, but I always label any items I ship as "camping tool", mark them as gift and put the value at 10$ or so, even if it's a 100$ item. If I already have the option to prevent the recipient from paying tax/customs, why not do so?
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline burnside

Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 01:31:04 AM
I know it is not entirely legal, but I always label any items I ship as "camping tool", mark them as gift and put the value at 10$ or so, even if it's a 100$ item. If I already have the option to prevent the recipient from paying tax/customs, why not do so?

If an item you ship goes missing that has an actual value of $100, but instead you put down the value at $10, you will only be able to claim $10. To ship outside the US with a tracking number, it has always cost me an extra $35-$45 for priority/international express mail. It's about $12 for first class international, and the people at the post office always tell me that tracking and insurance is not an option with first class. That being said, I will still ship outside the U.S. under certain conditions. I've never had a problem before, but I know people who have. I like to play it safe.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:38:33 AM by burnside »

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:36 AM

If an item you ship goes missing that has an actual value of $100, but instead you put down the value at $10, you will only be able to claim $10. To ship outside the US with a tracking number, it has always cost me an extra $35-$45 for priority/international express mail. It's about $12 for first class international, and the people at the post office always tell me that tracking and insurance is not an option with first class. That being said, I will still ship outside the U.S. under certain conditions. I've never had a problem before, but I know people who have. I like to play it safe.

That's perfectly fine, shipping out of Serbia you won't be able to claim anything no matter what the sum on the customs declaration  ::) Strangely enough I've never had a package misplaced or stolen shipping from Serbia to USA, but USA to Serbia... 3 so far. One of them had 200$ worth of knives in it. USPS is about as competent as a group of blindfolded monkeys with lobotomy
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

ca Offline McChouffe

Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 03:42:29 AM

No Canada on that list but it says additional, and I don't know what countries were on the list previously. And he says he thinks it should qualify for Canada. ::) Was the package to Canada tracked?

One of the biggest challenges in shipping internationally is the inability of merchants to confirm when a package has been delivered unless they use very expensive services. Online merchants who ship internationally using USPS are finally getting some good news. As promised, the USPS is expanding its Delivery Confirmation International Service to additional countries. Previously the service was only available to packages going to Canada, but effective July 28, 2013, it will be available to packages going to an additional 15 countries.

From the source, it says the service was only available to Canada, then in July 28, 2013 adding 15 other countries. :tu:

us Offline bren10man

Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:50 AM
All my purchases are on Pay Pal.

He has not executed "buyer protection plan".

He said he did receive the knife, but for whatever reason, he has not marked it delivered.  Or, he has refused to pick it up.

To clarify: I executed the E-Bay shipping methods, i.e. I used Pay Pal to pay for the shipping and it came out of my Pay Pal account.  So, the shipping forms were automatically filled out, to include item description (same as the E-Bay selling description listed for the ad) and item worth ($260).  He never asked me to use a different shipping method, etc. 

He had sent another message (a day or 2 before I started this thread) stating in over 100 transactions, he has never had this happen before.  Who knows: maybe he bought cheaper SAKs or something and this was his first.

I am going to clean-out my Pay Pal account ASAP and have it transferred to my personal accounts.

Not my problem...he should have known about his country's laws and regs. 
MOLON LABE!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:26 AM
I too do see both side of the coin, and I guess I am lucky that where I live is a tax free destination, but still I too often suffer from heavy cost on shipping for no particular reason.

I really do thank those good sellers who are willing to sell outside of US or Europe with a cheaper mean, and there is no way in hell I would ever betray that trust.  But for the protection of both sides, it is probably best to at least insure the item(at least to a certain amount, which is comfortable to buyer since he/she bears the import tax)

us Offline bren10man

Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 10:04:59 AM
I too do see both side of the coin, and I guess I am lucky that where I live is a tax free destination, but still I too often suffer from heavy cost on shipping for no particular reason.

I really do thank those good sellers who are willing to sell outside of US or Europe with a cheaper mean, and there is no way in hell I would ever betray that trust.  But for the protection of both sides, it is probably best to at least insure the item(at least to a certain amount, which is comfortable to buyer since he/she bears the import tax)

This has nothing to do with shipping.  Has to do with the fact that Canada nailed the buyer for $53 duty based on the type of item (a Swiss Army Knife) and the cost of it ($260). 

As a seller, that is not my problem.  Buyers need to be aware of their country's custom fees, etc.  It might also mean to purchase things within your own country instead of international.  Buyer beware!!  Also, in this case as well, make SURE you contact the seller upfront reference this and any other issues.  He didn't.  He just paid the cost plus shipping and nothing else.  The buyer from Australia was kind enough to help me with shipping, to include costs, in order to get it to him with a reasonable shipping cost. 
MOLON LABE!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:04 AM
First, I'm surprised there are still packages that are not tracked. ???

Second, I agree with bren10man. Its not the sellers problem.

Rules for online purchase:
  • When you buy something over the internet you have to factor in Shipping*, VAT and Fees.
  • If you are not willing to pay those, don't buy.
  • If you miscalculate, well that is your problem, don't whine.

*Careful, you have to pay VAT for shipping twice!
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 02:57:37 PM

This has nothing to do with shipping.  Has to do with the fact that Canada nailed the buyer for $53 duty based on the type of item (a Swiss Army Knife) and the cost of it ($260). 

As a seller, that is not my problem.  Buyers need to be aware of their country's custom fees, etc.  It might also mean to purchase things within your own country instead of international.  Buyer beware!!  Also, in this case as well, make SURE you contact the seller upfront reference this and any other issues.  He didn't.  He just paid the cost plus shipping and nothing else.  The buyer from Australia was kind enough to help me with shipping, to include costs, in order to get it to him with a reasonable shipping cost. 

Yes, I do agree with what you said.  And truely it is buyer's responsibility to take care of local tax.

What I meant is even I live in a tax free area(no VAT, sales, or import tax whatsoever), I might still got penalized with super high shipping cost, which the seller might be profiting with the excuse of covering the taxes.

us Offline burnside

Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 04:24:32 PM

That's perfectly fine, shipping out of Serbia you won't be able to claim anything no matter what the sum on the customs declaration  ::) Strangely enough I've never had a package misplaced or stolen shipping from Serbia to USA, but USA to Serbia... 3 so far. One of them had 200$ worth of knives in it. USPS is about as competent as a group of blindfolded monkeys with lobotomy

Hence why sellers from the U.S. are wary of shipping internationally. Three packages shipped from the U.S. going missing like that is more than just bad luck imo.

us Offline burnside

Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 04:44:55 PM

Yes, I do agree with what you said.  And truely it is buyer's responsibility to take care of local tax.

What I meant is even I live in a tax free area(no VAT, sales, or import tax whatsoever), I might still got penalized with super high shipping cost, which the seller might be profiting with the excuse of covering the taxes.

Some sellers might be profiting off shipping, but I think that many times this is not the case. In the U.S. it only costs me approximately $10 dollars to ship priority mail with tracking and insured for over $100. To send the same package via priority international, with tracking and insurance for over $100 will cost me $35-$45. These prices are USPS prices for insured international priority with tracking.

It would cost me only about $12 dollars if I ship international first class with no extra insurance and no tracking. The postal workers at the usps have told me numerous times that uninsured first class international mail does not provide tracking. For tracking international packages, one must use priority international/express mail international, and even then, the tracking stops at customs.

Another thing people often fail to realize (especially sellers) is that insurance is there to protect the seller. If you send an uninsured package and it goes missing, the seller will lose the money (especially if the buyer uses the paypal/ebay buyer's protection plan). This is why I will almost always put down the exact value of whatever it is that I am shipping.

It is unfortunate that shipping internationally can be such a hassle. I put the blame on the USPS.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:01 PM
I’ve sold things internationally, but I always say in my listing that the buyer assumes responsibility for their country’s custom laws.

Once that package arrives in your country, then it’s your problem.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 05:14:43 PM
It would cost me only about $12 dollars if I ship international first class with no extra insurance and no tracking. The postal workers at the usps have told me numerous times that uninsured first class international mail does not provide tracking. For tracking international packages, one must use priority international/express mail international, and even then, the tracking stops at customs.

I think you can use the First Class Service and add the registered mail option (a service that not all the US seller seems to know, but that we use a lot in Europe).
Registered mail is very safe and has full tracking.
I made a simulation, and the price is not cheap, but way better than $ 35-45

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD