Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do not whine reference customs for YOUR country:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Do not whine reference customs for YOUR country:
Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 05:34:14 PM

I have had no issues with shipping out of the US and I have done it numerous times.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline burnside

Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 05:50:29 PM
I've had no issues sending mail internationally as well, but I will only do it under certain conditions.

If you look at the registered mail image above, you will see that it does not apply to items insured for over $400.00 (many items that I've sold and shipped are worth more than $400).

The insurance for items worth more than $200 will bump the shipping costs from around $21 up to around $35-$45 in my experience.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 08:26:13 PM
It would cost me only about $12 dollars if I ship international first class with no extra insurance and no tracking. The postal workers at the usps have told me numerous times that uninsured first class international mail does not provide tracking. For tracking international packages, one must use priority international/express mail international, and even then, the tracking stops at customs.

Not true in my personal experience. All small packages for recent eBay purchases mailed via First Class International for around (and often under) $10 came with tracking that worked perfectly fine over the border and from both sides, USPS and Canada Post, for the complete route.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:07 PM
It is currently costing me an extra $US11.95 to insure a Priority International Medium flat rate box for values of around $US 800.00 going from the US to Australia. 

So far [touch wood] I've never lost an insured package.  I suspect the extra paper work involved with a "lost" one encourages all people handling them to take a bit more care (and if they don't, I'll get my money back anyway).  So well worth the extra 1.5% that it costs.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline burnside

Reply #64 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:38 PM
It would cost me only about $12 dollars if I ship international first class with no extra insurance and no tracking. The postal workers at the usps have told me numerous times that uninsured first class international mail does not provide tracking. For tracking international packages, one must use priority international/express mail international, and even then, the tracking stops at customs.

Not true in my personal experience. All small packages for recent eBay purchases mailed via First Class International for around (and often under) $10 came with tracking that worked perfectly fine over the border and from both sides, USPS and Canada Post, for the complete route.

Then all I can say is that the people at my local post office don't know what they are doing. Next time I'll try a different post office.

In any case, First Class International is not available with insurance, and a lot of sellers prefer to insure high value items.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:42:09 PM by burnside »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #65 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:13 PM
I had a look back as some of my ebay purchases over the month.  And I got a tracking number with all of them and some were shipping costs as low as $8.  So I dont know what type of USPS service it is, but that should meet paypal requirements for tracking.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline condcup

Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:30 AM
I had a look back as some of my ebay purchases over the month.  And I got a tracking number with all of them and some were shipping costs as low as $8.  So I dont know what type of USPS service it is, but that should meet paypal requirements for tracking.

252.2 Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International

252.21 Description

Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International service — abbreviated E-USPS DELCON INTL — is an optional service available for First-Class Package International Service items to select destination countries at no charge. Tracking information includes the date and time an article was delivered or, if delivery was attempted but not completed, the date and time of the delivery attempt. The sender can check delivery status by going to usps.com and clicking on the “Track & Confirm” feature.

252.22 Availability

Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International service is available only electronically by using USPS-approved PC Postage vendors, Click-N-Ship, Click-N-Ship for Business, Webtools, and Global Shipping Software (GSS) or other USPS-approved software. The service is available only to the countries listed in Exhibit 252.22:

Exhibit 252.22
Countries Accepting Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International Service

Australia
Israel
Belgium
Italy
Brazil
Latvia
Canada
Lithuania
Croatia
Luxembourg
Denmark
Malaysia
Estonia
Malta
Finland
Netherlands
France
New Zealand
Germany
Portugal
Gibraltar
Singapore
Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Spain
Hungary
Switzerland

252.23 Customs Label and Marking

Mailers must use an electronically generated PS Form 2976 that includes the Post Exprès logo (globe and chevron design) — see Exhibit

Exhibit 252.23
Customs Label and Marking
(Image removed from quote.)

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:58 AM

Then all I can say is that the people at my local post office don't know what they are doing. Next time I'll try a different post office.

In any case, First Class International is not available with insurance, and a lot of sellers prefer to insure high value items.

I can believe this about the people at that post office. Not sure that going to another office it will improve the situation however :)

True story, happened to me recently:

I asked a friend in US to mail me a small package. He mailed it (was around $10, First-Class Package International) and told me that he was told at the post office there is no tracking number. OK. So the package arrives to me via Canada Post's XpressPost with a big fat and valid tracking number label on it, I checked it at both USPS and Canada Post and it was working, displayed the whole route in both places, up and including the delivery.

Fast forward couple of weeks. I ask the same friend for another mail like the one before. This time I remind him to ask at the post office about tracking, the package before obviously having it and they saying it did not. The girl there said: no tracking. When my friend insisted she pointed to a number that she said is some customs number. That was the tracking number in fact (fine and working) but she had no idea.

Conclusion: USPS workers are not always up to date with their own company services, to say it politely ::)

Offline Espen

Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 01:30:35 AM
All my purchases are on Pay Pal.

He has not executed "buyer protection plan".

He said he did receive the knife, but for whatever reason, he has not marked it delivered.  Or, he has refused to pick it up.

To clarify: I executed the E-Bay shipping methods, i.e. I used Pay Pal to pay for the shipping and it came out of my Pay Pal account.  So, the shipping forms were automatically filled out, to include item description (same as the E-Bay selling description listed for the ad) and item worth ($260).  He never asked me to use a different shipping method, etc. 

He had sent another message (a day or 2 before I started this thread) stating in over 100 transactions, he has never had this happen before.  Who knows: maybe he bought cheaper SAKs or something and this was his first.

I am going to clean-out my Pay Pal account ASAP and have it transferred to my personal accounts.

Not my problem...he should have known about his country's laws and regs.
Doesn't matter if you clean out your paypal. it will go in the minus and they will get their money. I've seen this several times.

us Offline condcup

Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 03:07:10 AM

I can believe this about the people at that post office. Not sure that going to another office it will improve the situation however :)

I asked a friend in US to mail me a small package. He mailed it (was around $10, First-Class Package International) and told me that he was told at the post office there is no tracking number. OK. So the package arrives to me via Canada Post's XpressPost with a big fat and valid tracking number label on it, I checked it at both USPS and Canada Post and it was working, displayed the whole route in both places, up and including the delivery.

Fast forward couple of weeks. I ask the same friend for another mail like the one before. This time I remind him to ask at the post office about tracking, the package before obviously having it and they saying it did not. The girl there said: no tracking. When my friend insisted she pointed to a number that she said is some customs number. That was the tracking number in fact (fine and working) but she had no idea.

Conclusion: USPS workers are not always up to date with their own company services, to say it politely ::)

+1

The Customs label number is used for tracking international mail (First Class, Priority Mail, Express Mail).

USPS international shipment uses different tracking formats as to the domestic "shipment within the US".

International tracking will begin with 2 letters followed by 9 numbers and the letters "US".

LZ 000 000 000 US

CP 000 000 000 US

EC 000 000 000 US

Domestic tracking "shipment within the US" will have 16-20, 22 digits.

0300 0000 0000 0000 0000

9205 5000 0000 0000 0000 00

9270 1000 0000 0000 0000 00

http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-bin/hdusps.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1125&

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:04:58 AM by condcup »

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 07:20:00 AM
Correct, most likely when you opened your PayPal account, they required you  to link it to a bank account. They will tap right into that to retrieve the money regardless of your PayPal account balance.

Doesn't matter if you clean out your paypal. it will go in the minus and they will get their money. I've seen this several times.
T

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:04 AM
Correct, most likely when you opened your PayPal account, they required you  to link it to a bank account. They will tap right into that to retrieve the money regardless of your PayPal account balance.

I assume that if you have linked your Paypal to a credit card (e.g. a web only credit card) then if there is no money in the credit card or you remove the link with paypal or you cancel it then they will not be able to get any money. I assume they will then be able to take legal action against you, at least in theory.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline bren10man

Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:22 AM
Felinevet/Espen:

...and if/when that happens, or before it happens, a note and papertrail WITH messages from the culprit is sent to all to show who is at fault, and that he REFUSES to mark "received" on this item.

Second: I will let my banks know, and credit card know, of this situation and to REFUSE to allow PayPal to drain my account.  Maybe even CLOSE Pay-Pal.  This is almost reminding me of an incident I had 3.5 years ago on www.gunbroker.com.  Seller was a jerk.  My bank advised me to stop payment on the cashier check, which I did with the bank even telling him that over the phone, AFTER, he foolishly told me AND my bank rep via 3-way phone call he MAY NOT ship the item.  And he gave me an F-rating on gunbroker.com (the only one I think I ever got).  Jerk.

To date, it is STILL showing not delivered, addressee notified ready for P/U at post office as of 24 JAN 14....even though the says he received it.  That can mean anything: yes, he received it at Post Office, but REFUSED to accept it due to $53 Canadian duty.  Or, he is just plain miffed and won't leave feedback to close out the tracking.

Again, not my problem.  It has not been returned, and I have not been notified of a return, either.

No feedback, either, left as a buyer from him.

BLUF: this dude is a foolish jerk who is ignorant of his own country's laws.  Nothing more or less. 

UPDATE: I just reported the current status on this item to E-Bay, just in case he tries to pull a stunt. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:58:23 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:03 AM
Yes, I only purchase using PayPal. I have never sold anything. I do not like having Paypal have access to my bank account, thus I only use my credit card. I have noticed of late that when I purchase things, my fees are very high because I am not using my bank account. What the hell!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:30 PM
Yes, I only purchase using PayPal. I have never sold anything. I do not like having Paypal have access to my bank account, thus I only use my credit card. I have noticed of late that when I purchase things, my fees are very high because I am not using my bank account. What the hell!
I think its different from country to country but if you first put your money into the paypal account and then pay, they charge 1% if you use credit card its 4.5%.
I'm very new to PayPal (First financial transaction was in January) but as far as I understand PayPal cannot access your Bank Account unless you actually allow that.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: February 05, 2014, 02:09:55 PM
UPDATE: I just reported the current status on this item to E-Bay, just in case he tries to pull a stunt.
Yes, best thing you can do in a situation like this, is to be proactive. Maybe you can even inform PayPal of the situation.

Best of luck. I hope this resolves shortly in your favor.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline burnside

Reply #76 on: February 05, 2014, 02:28:01 PM

The same exact thing happened to me on more than one occasion. I was even told one time that the number was a customs number. Obviously the workers at usps don't know what is going on, lol.
  :rofl: :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #77 on: February 05, 2014, 03:10:57 PM
Oh they are punishing me for not letting them into my bank account. It really ticks me off. For example, my fee to a good friend in the us was 10 dollars using credit card. 4 dollars if I used my bank account. What the...?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #78 on: February 05, 2014, 03:18:53 PM
I have a credit card linked and a real bank account.  It always costs more to fund a purchase via credit card.  I have separate bank accounts, one where most of my money is, and a second that is linked to paypal. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: February 05, 2014, 03:26:07 PM
Espen and Tim are correct. One needs to read the fine print in the contract they sign. They will get the money and I doubt that it will help you much calling your bank and telling them not to. If there is an investigation the PP account is frozen and cannot be really closed among other things. Just a CC over PP allows one to buy but not to sell.

Read the PP User Agreement.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

Quotes:

4.5 Risk of Reversals, Chargebacks and Claims. When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment sent to you plus any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason. This means that, in addition to any other liability, you will be responsible for the amount of the payment sent by the sender, plus the applicable Fees listed in Section 8 (Fees) of this Agreement if you lose a Claim or a Chargeback, or if there is a Reversal of the payment. You agree to allow PayPal to recover any amounts due to PayPal by debiting your Balance. If there are insufficient funds in your Balance to cover your liability, you agree to reimburse PayPal through other means. If a sender of a payment files a Chargeback, the credit card issuer, not PayPal, will determine who wins the Chargeback."

“7.2 Limitations on Closing Your Account. You may not close your Account to evade an investigation. If you attempt to close your Account while we are conducting an investigation, we may hold your funds for up to 180 Days to protect PayPal, its affiliates, or a third party against the risk of Reversals, Chargebacks, Claims, fees, fines, penalties and other liability. You will remain liable for all obligations related to your Account even after the Account is closed.

>:D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:30:19 PM by Marius »

us Offline condcup

Reply #80 on: February 05, 2014, 03:47:34 PM
Some retail stores offer discounts, bonus points for purchases using cash or debit card. Credit card charging them higher transaction fees. :twak:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:27 PM
I have separate bank accounts, one where most of my money is, and a second that is linked to paypal.

I have done the same, and I only keep enough in the one linked to PayPal to cover expected debits.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: February 06, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
I know the Regs. , pay the duty , and don't bitch at the vendor .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD