Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman warranty experiences

Crow · 42 · 13825

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:01 PM
I did same topic  with Victorinox warranty.

Now i like to hear your experiences with Leatherman.
How does it work? Do ypu have to pay for it? How long does it take?
What was wrong with your tool, and how they fixed it? Or did they fix it?

I want to hear all good amd bad about their warranty department.

I have few Leatherman products, but i haven't yet had to use their service.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Leatherman warranty experiences
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:02 PM
For the most part Leathermans customer service is top notch. They will normally replace the tool with a new one when applicable unless you mark it as having sentimental value then they will try and fix it. There have been issues with receiving tools as replacements that have the same or other issues so there CS isn't 100%. For the most part though they have a superb customer service.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:11 PM
Because of how good lm's warranty is i use my surge and my other lms pretty hard, ive used there service twice in the uk and have been happy both times,all you pay is delivery to them, :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:04:38 PM
If you're in the US it mostly works quite well.

For us non US folks it can be a good or bad experience. We've heard lots of horror stories from different places in Europe and their local distributors. I think Belgium was quite bad, wanting for the customer to pay for shipping and returns and such (Eric?), and Nikoleta had a REALLY bad experience in Bulgaria with her PS4, long story, ... She ended up with two good PS4s in the end as both the US and German distributors jumped in and helped her.

My personal experience was bad at first, in 2008 they first refused to fix my Skeletool CX saying it wasn't covered (metallurgy error and damaged blade). I resend it and they replaced the blade with some blunt thing and installed the screw crooked running the threads and I couldn't open the knife without a pair of pliers. ::) I wrote to the US office then and complained. They (the Croatian office) then contacted me, said to send the bad one back and sent me a new one instead. A bit of a hassle but it got sorted in the end.

A few years later I sent in a Juice CS4 with a broken backspring. I first sent them an email with pictures of the break. They said to send it in and 3 days later I had a new Juice CS4. No questions asked. :tu:

Last year a member from Serbia was having problems getting his broken Supertool 200 fixed or replaced, his local dealer kept tellnig him they don't have any tools in stock or not responding to his calls/emails. (something like that, I don't remember correctly anymore). I called the Croatian distributor for help and they agreed that he could send them the tool and they'd send the replacement ST300 to me so I could forward it to Serbia. Went out of their way to help. I had a nice chat with the manager to about warranties, tools, what gets exchanged with what, ...

So it went from bad to excellent. :cheers:

It does depend on your local distributor a lot but the US headquarters are also willing to help if any problem should arise. :tu:

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:44:50 PM
I have sent in three tools, a crunch with a broken lock, a pst with loose pliers and a juice pro with a broken back spring. In return I received a perfect crunch, a perfect Rebar for the pst and they could not or said they couldn't fix the pro. They offered something else for the pro but I just kept it. All in all there warranty is solid as far as I am concerned .

Swiss Army knives .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:46:37 PM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:03 AM
I have Style CS, and couple weeks ago i washed and dried it. Something was wrong with it blade. I noticed, that spring that comes from handle was broken. This little thing is supposed to keep blade open and closed. I do not abuse my tools, and it was ok when i used and played with it.

Today i finally emailed company, that takes care of Leatherman in Finland. Will keep you informed how this goes...

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:37:23 AM
Yes, enki summed it up pretty well (thanks :)) for Bulgaria  :tu:

Now I bought two brand new Juices and another PS4 (I've been whining about that in two other topics :D).

The PS4 was bought from my country, but upon arrival it  had a few scratches, quite suspicious. The BG distributor (another one this time) did not reply my e-mail at all. From LM US they readily let me know that I could send it in for replacement. I didn't and won't, I was just curious if a brand new tool could have nicks.

Then, the brand new Juice Xe6 I got has quite loose scissors. I bought it from eBay, but contacted LM US to ask about that issue. They again told me I could send the tool for replacement. Which I won't do again, because I'm likely to get the new model xe6, which I don't like.

The S2 also gave me trouble - the backspring of one flat driver broke. The BG guy I bought it from contacted the US dealer HE'd ordered it from, but had been redirected to LM US. I myself contacted LM US directly with this issue... But I haven't had a reply yet. This is the first time when they've delayed a reply or haven't replied yet.

So far they've been great to me.  Unlike their brand new tools :D :D

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
Broke PST II file doing something it wasn't meant to. Singapore dealer would only send it to the US, and I would have to pay, so I sent it myself.
+They deal with overseas customers directly
++Fixed my tool even though it was my fault
+++Didn't even charge for return shipping!

Only complaint is they didn't contact me at all, so I had no idea what was happening for >1 month.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 02:22:53 PM
Australian agent replaced a Juice CS4 with broken backsprings no problem. Quick turnaround too.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:03 PM
I just got back a package from LM's warranty service. I'd been "collecting" these for a while...

-A "sentimental" PST that I broke tip off the small driver many years ago. They reground the tip perfectly and tightened up the loose pivots while they were at it.
-A "sentimental" KF4 that I've carried for about 6 years with a crazy loose pivot. They tightened it back up nicely.
-A Squirt PS4 with a replaced plier head (chipped cutters) and new scissors (spring kept slipping).
-A new Micra to replace an abused one that was loose and would bind up when opening.

All this with a very quick return time. I'm definitely satisfied with the service. :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:54:57 PM
My most recent LM warranty experience was with a red Micra that kept sticking upon closing the scissors. I'm not sure if they fixed it or replaced it as it was a new tool but what they sent back to me works perfectly. It took about 10 days in all which isn't too bad.

I've used LM warranty about a dozen times probably and have never gotten back anything that wasn't right.
SAW

us Offline Rux

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:57 PM
My two experiences with LM were 5 star experiences. One of those two I didn't even have to pay for shipping as it was a new tool.

They were always very helpful and pleasant on the phone as well.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:36 PM
 Here is my update of my Style CS.

About two hour after i emailed Finnish rep, i gained mail saying basically, send it to this address, and we will fix it. Short and effective. So, i pay postage to them, wich for in Style case is not that much. But still...
Week later without any notice, i gain fixed Style in my mailbox... Thank you Fin reps...

What i notice at arrival.
This is probably what i send in.
Broken handle/spring fixed.
I found my tweezers after i send it in, at my desk. They replaced it with new one.  :whistle:
I noticed, that scissors do not have full contact all its way to top. So it looks like letter Y at the top. It did cut ok when i send it in, and cut ok when i gained it. But no cutting at top portion... If this same tool i send in, i did not notice this  before i sended it to service(i did not look it that specific at scissors). Easy fix for myself. Cuts allright now all the way. (used pliers  to make other half  straight)...

They sended letter to me with the tool. It said.

"Dear multitool user

We apologise the trouble you gained for breackage of your tool. We hope this tool serve you without problem for now on.

NORDIC TRAIL

PS. Tool should be oiled now and then, for example CRC, that tool would not come too stiff to use"

In the end, their service,  It is good, fast, effective. Only sorry to say, they did not notice problem in scissors. But in the end, neighter did i untill afterwards...(it was really hard to notice,  but i did cut something, that i did not cut before, that made me see this)

Offline Squinty

Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 01:02:31 PM
The wire cutters on my Charge Tti gave up the ghost and stopped cutting wire.  They just pinched wire flat between the cutting edges. I assumed the tool needed to be tightened up or the plier heads replaced. The grit had worn off the file as well.

So I sent the tool in to Leatherman USA warranty service, in Portland. They promptly and cheerfully replaced it with a refurbished tool, which is fine - I imagine they have a stock of refurbs, so it was quicker to send me a refurb than to make me wait while they fixed mine, and I am sure my old tool will be sent out as a refurb for some future warranty issue, and this cuts down on cutomer wait time and it's all fine and good. Turnaround was quick and painless.

Unfortunately I wasn't especially pleased with the state of he refurbished tool they sent me. The wire cutters were effective on the replacement tool, but the tension on the serrated blade was such that I could not open it one handed, and it took a special effort to make the liner lock engage. Then it took a great deal of force to disengage the liner lock. That isn't a safe state. I suppose I could have adjusted the tension but I lack the proper torx bits to do so, and I shouldn't have to - the tool really shouldn't have left the shop in that state, refurbished or not. In addition, the blades seemed a bit less sharp than the ones on the tool I sent in - the blades on my old tool still shaved paper, including the gut hook, but would not on the replacement they sent me.

So I whined and groused a bit to leatherman and they told me to send it back, and I did. They never argued or questioned me for either return, were polite throughout and seemed eager to fix the problem. My only complaint so far is the time and extra expense of shipping it twice.

They have yet to replace or repair the refurb tool I returned to them, but they only just received it. I have high hopes that they will send me tool in good working order.

us Offline sawman

Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 02:30:20 PM
Don't you worry, they'll make it right :tu:
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 03:27:30 PM
They are usually very good to their customers, so they should send a proper one out this time. If they don't, complain and ask for a prepaid label to ship it back to them.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:08 PM
They are usually very good to their customers, so they should send a proper one out this time. If they don't, complain and ask for a prepaid label to ship it back to them.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

and STICKERS for making you send it in twice...................... :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 09:09:57 PM
Yep, I had some issues with the Belgian distributer ... 

I quoted one of my posts in another warranty topic:

As some of you may have read here, I bought a Charge TTi a few months ago, when I got it I noticed that there was something weird with the ruler.  On both sides there’s a ruler from 10 cm to 20 cm (and from  4 inch to 8 inch), so I don’t have a ruler from 0 cm to 10 cm (and from 0 inch to 4 inch).

See topic http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26164.15.html

Anyway, contacted the internetshop (an official Leatherman dealer according to the Duth Leatherman importer), and untill today I haven't heard anything from them (I've contacted them twice, without succes...). 

So I contacted Leatherman USA, and explained the problem, they answered real quick and told me that they had send an e-mail to the Belgian importer that they should give me a new Charge TTi if I wanted that.  They also send me a cool Leatherman "Oregon Proud" T-shirt  :).

So, I send them (the Belgian importer) an E-mail asking if I could drive over there to exchange my Charge for a new one, it’s only like 40 minutes away from my home and I thought it would be a bit ridicules to have it send to me if I could just drive over there and pick it up myself.  After a couple of days I received an answer.  They told me that it was possible to pick up the new Charge myself, and if they had to send it to me, I would have to pay 5 Euro (=  7 $) shipping cost, which I understand.  But … they also said that I would have to pay 15 Euro’s (= 21 $) administration fee, now I’ve read a lot of amazing stories about Leathermans’ great warranty policy here and I’ve never read anything about an administration fee …

weird …  :think:   

Anyway, I’m getting the feeling that the Belgian importer people are trying to get something out of this for themselves, so I decided not to exchange my Charge for a new one, not yet at least, who knows in the future, maybe ten years from now, I could still make use of the warranty to get another one because then, 15 euro’s would be a sweat deal to get a brand new tool, but now, my tool IS brand new, and I don’t feel like paying 15 euro’s just to get the tool that I should have gotten in the first place. 

So I send Leatherman USA an e-mail explaining the situation and they asked me a bit of time to do some research. And said that they will get back to me as quickly as possible.  This was the 29 of march and until now I've heard nothing.

Anyway, I really appreciate what the nice people at Leatherman USA have done for me, and I know that, had I lived in the US, this problem would have been fixed ages ago (I wrote this in my last e-mail to Leatherman USA).  But I've got the feeling that the Belgian importer is only thinking about making money, and they know nothing, NOTHING !!!, about the way Leatherman USA treats their costumers.  So I told the people at Leatherman USA that I've got a problem now, I still like their tools, I like their service, but I don't want any of the money I spend on tools going to the Belgian Importer.   Guess I will have to start buying Victorinox tools (started with the SAK's, and thinking more and more about the Vic tools now ...).

Since then I know why they charged the 15 Euro administration fee, turns out they charge this fee when your Leatherman isn't bought from an official Belgian dealer (which gets his tools from them ...).  Since I bought my Charge TTi from a Dutch Leatherman webshop (official Leatherman store in the Netherlands), they wanted me to pay 15 Euro to them. 

So when I buy my Leatherman from an official Belgian Leatherman store I should get a new tool without paying the extra fee ... Only problem with this is that Leatherman prices are just insane in Belgium, 239 Euro for a Charge TTi, 128 Euro for a ST300, 139 Euro for a Wave ...

I just read the last sentence of my own quote "Guess I will have to start buying Victorinox tools (started with the SAK's, and thinking more and more about the Vic tools now ...)"... looks like I kept my word  :D.

P.S.  I want to be very clear about one thing, every contact I had with Leatherman USA to solve this problem was great, they really wanted to help me, and they send me a nice "Oregon Proud" T-Shirt and some nice stickers (don't know if they contacted the Belgian distributer about this, I haven't heard anything since then from either of them).

Offline Squinty

Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 03:46:40 AM
The wire cutters on my Charge Tti gave up the ghost and stopped cutting wire.  They just pinched wire flat between the cutting edges. I assumed the tool needed to be tightened up or the plier heads replaced. The grit had worn off the file as well.

So I sent the tool in to Leatherman USA warranty service, in Portland. They promptly and cheerfully replaced it with a refurbished tool, which is fine - I imagine they have a stock of refurbs, so it was quicker to send me a refurb than to make me wait while they fixed mine, and I am sure my old tool will be sent out as a refurb for some future warranty issue, and this cuts down on cutomer wait time and it's all fine and good. Turnaround was quick and painless.

Unfortunately I wasn't especially pleased with the state of he refurbished tool they sent me. The wire cutters were effective on the replacement tool, but the tension on the serrated blade was such that I could not open it one handed, and it took a special effort to make the liner lock engage. Then it took a great deal of force to disengage the liner lock. That isn't a safe state. I suppose I could have adjusted the tension but I lack the proper torx bits to do so, and I shouldn't have to - the tool really shouldn't have left the shop in that state, refurbished or not. In addition, the blades seemed a bit less sharp than the ones on the tool I sent in - the blades on my old tool still shaved paper, including the gut hook, but would not on the replacement they sent me.

So I whined and groused a bit to leatherman and they told me to send it back, and I did. They never argued or questioned me for either return, were polite throughout and seemed eager to fix the problem. My only complaint so far is the time and extra expense of shipping it twice.

They have yet to replace or repair the refurb tool I returned to them, but they only just received it. I have high hopes that they will send me tool in good working order.

UPDATE:

OK, my Charge Tti - or at least, A Charge Tti - came in the mail today. Unlike the first refurb tool they sent, there was no note or explanation of what they had done, nor ny communication whatsoever. I am guessing that's because I stepped on some toes when I groused about the first tool they sent, which I regret and for which I have already apologized.

SO I don't know if this is the same tool fixed, or a new tool (unlikely) or a better refurb, but it IS better.

Wire cutters work, file has a little grit on it, OHO bladed are nice and sharp enough to slice notebook paper cleanly.

The tool is VERY stiff and at present, quite difficult to open and close the pliers and the outside blades. But iirc, my brand new Charge Tti had similar issues, and it smoothed out pretty quickly. All locks do engage appropriately, and the blades are paper slicing sharp again.

This is more like it. I do hope it loosens up a bit. I have plied strategic areas with DuPont Teflon Silicone, and worked the blades open and closed, and fiddled with opening and closing the pliers, until my thumb tips are raw.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 03:51:07 AM
I'd imagine with the amount of tools coming thru their warranty dept no ones feeling are hurt.  The tool should loosen with usage and time.  Glad they got another one out and you have your LM back. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ryan1976

Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:40 AM
I snapped the tip off to my pliers on my LG Charge ALX. Sent it in, two weeks later, I had a new one. The Aussi agent for LM's customer service was top notch, no complaints from me.
Leatherman Charge ALX.
          Leatherman Skeletool.
          Leatherman Raptor.
          Leatherman Supertool 300.
          Leatherman Rebar
          Leatherman Sidekick.

Offline Squinty

Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 08:31:27 AM

UPDATE:

OK, my Charge Tti - or at least, A Charge Tti - came in the mail today. Unlike the first refurb tool they sent, there was no note or explanation of what they had done, nor ny communication whatsoever. I am guessing that's because I stepped on some toes when I groused about the first tool they sent, which I regret and for which I have already apologized.

SO I don't know if this is the same tool fixed, or a new tool (unlikely) or a better refurb, but it IS better.

Wire cutters work, file has a little grit on it, OHO bladed are nice and sharp enough to slice notebook paper cleanly.

The tool is VERY stiff and at present, quite difficult to open and close the pliers and the outside blades. But iirc, my brand new Charge Tti had similar issues, and it smoothed out pretty quickly. All locks do engage appropriately, and the blades are paper slicing sharp again.

This is more like it. I do hope it loosens up a bit. I have plied strategic areas with DuPont Teflon Silicone, and worked the blades open and closed, and fiddled with opening and closing the pliers, until my thumb tips are raw.

OK, so after a couple days all seems well with the tool now. Gave it some lube and worked it around awhile, everything pops in and out smoothly now.

The s30v blade is still a bit hard to open, but not because of any stiffness. Rather, the thumb hole is nicely machined on the straight blade. Unlike the serrated blade's thumb hole, which has a somewhat sharp "lip" or flash from machining, the serrated thumbhole is smoothly finished and nicer. That actually makes the blade harder to open because it doesn't bite into my thumb enough, and I exacerbated the problem by overapplying teflon/silicone lube, making the hole slippery. My thumb just slides across it now without feeling any friction or catch.

That isn't Leatherman's fault. I wrapped a bit of electrical tape through the hole for now, will come up with a more permanent solution later. But the tool itself is quite nice again. Leatherman took care of it!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:41 AM
Squinty, i see some people put zipties on their folders opening holes for easy/fast opening. Would that work for you?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 09:21:10 AM
My latest Leatherman customer service experience was less that satisfying (at first). The return in question was a shirt not a tool. I don't really feel like getting into the whole thing, but I was told certain things from multiple CSR (Customer Service Representative). Leathermans policy was the main problem, but the CSR I talked to was the other part of the bad experience. I finally call once more to get the shipping address so I could cut the shirt into pieces and send it back to them just to prove a point, but the last CSR (Beth) I spoke with made everything right and actually asked me questions to why I was disappointed and why I felt I was misled about the product as to better their customer service and relay what she learns from the customers the the higher ups. Not one of the other CSR even asked why I felt misled. They didn't even care. In the end it was handled correctly, but 9 times out of 10 in my specific situation I would have been very disappointed. I simply got lucky with talking to Beth as she understands the customer. If they have their whole CS staff trained like Beth the CS would be outstanding.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Squinty

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 08:09:42 PM
Squinty, i see some people put zipties on their folders opening holes for easy/fast opening. Would that work for you?

It probably would, but a bit of electrical tape seems to have done the trick. Friction tape would probably be even better.

Tool has loosened up nicely.

us Offline Idri

Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:48 PM
I sent in a Leatherman Core to Warranty. They tried to fix it which was fine by me, but they fell short of the goal of fixing blade and pliers wobble. Actually they returned the tool without fixing the problem. I called them and they then offered me a refurbished tool replacement. Because I had already paid for return shipping the first time, at my request they sent a shipping label for the second return. It took six weeks with all this mailing back and forth, but Leatherman made it right in the end by sending a refurbished Super Tool 300. I gave Leatherman an 8/10 on the total experience due to the lengthy turn around and the lack of communication. I had dealt with the warranty department four times over the last decade, and they always replaced the tool the first time and had it back to me within ten days. Food for thought!
Idri

us Offline sawman

Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:44 PM
I've had more than a handful of LM warranty experiences and each time the turnaround was about 10 days.
SAW

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 12:06:04 AM
I've used the warranty service 3 times (UK Leatherman Distributor).

1. Knifeless Fuse, plier tips were slightly flared and did not meet. It was replaced with a brand new perfect unit.

2. PS4, broke the scissor spring. It was replaced with a brand new unit.

3. Second Knifeless Fuse, same issue as the one above. Was offered a Wingman as a replacement, which I declined. Had them return the Fuse to me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:19:31 AM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:45 AM
I really can't complain at all about my experiences. The longest I had to wait was maybe... 90 seconds? Got a ST300 to replace an ST200 with a torqued small flathead, and a Wingman and Wave swapped out for loose scissors and a bent saw respectively. They gave me a free hat with the Wave, too.

jp Offline dork

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 03:17:09 PM

For us non US folks it can be a good or bad experience.

Yeah, I had a frustrating time in Japan, but it all got worked out in the end after I pulled Leatherman U.S. into the battle. My problem was a metallurgic weakness in the pliers tip that snapped off on day one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you're not always prepared, you're sometimes prepared.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%