Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Finally put a vic classic on my keychain

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Finally put a vic classic on my keychain
on: February 08, 2014, 03:34:04 AM
Ask me anything.

mx Offline Chaka

Re: Finally put a vic classic on my keychain
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:00:37 AM
What's the meaning of life? :o

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:04:58 AM
Why not a Rambler, Manager, or M. Manager?

Also, why not till now?

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:55:50 AM
All of previous classics I aquired were gifted. I used to think it is too small a tool to use for medium/large hands and you lose the use of food prep and heavy use.

I have a midnite manager but I keep it on a lanyard for opportune moments.  The midnite manager really got me appreciating the 58mm

I decided that it is nice the have scizzors, toothpick and tweezers for when I carry a knife that lacks those impliments. 

I wouldnt mind getting a rambler, manager and/or signature.

My SAK quest never ends

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:37:23 AM
What took you so long ?*

* I've gotta admit the penny has only just dropped with me too ;)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:22:04 PM
Now that you've been enlightened on the coolness of the 58mm line, your next step has to be getting a Rambler, the king of 58mm.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:28:22 PM
I have about 20 Ramblers, different colours mostly. I happen to like them  :P
SAW

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 02:53:07 PM
The midnite manager really got me appreciating the 58mm.
Same here. It's what put Victorinox on the map for me.

That little light (white LED) has saved my buns in a pinch. Use it as much as any other tool.
I carry a 91mm mod with LRI X-light Micro attached, but still grab my 58mm mod with M.M. scales more frequently.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 12:32:59 AM
What kept ya? :tu:

I think for the real world of modern suburbia, the 58mm line are some of the most useful pocket/keychain knives on the market. Once upon a time, I too thought the tiny classic was a toy. I was wrong. After watching my better half abuse one, I had to try one. I did an experiment. For a couple of months, I made it a point to use the classic if I needed a pocket knife. Made myself ignore what was in my pocket, and just used a classic. Wow! For 99% of what I needed, the classic did it. A little small, but it did it. Helped a friend move? No problem, the classic cut tape, trimmed plastic bubble wrap, and after broke down cardboard boxes for recycle. The little SD tip on the nail file blade was used on all kinds of Phillips screws and repairs. But for number 2 and smaller screws, the SD tip works great. The scissors trimmed paper, mustache, broken nails, and even in a pinch did duty as a light wire cutter on some thin copper wire. The tweezers got a thorn out of our dogs paw on a walk in the woods.

The 58's are great, and the classic is the gateway drug for SAK's.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 04:07:45 AM
I had a Wenger Esquire 65mm on my keys but found I never used it so off it went.  I used my Explorer for nearly everything or my Wenger S10 or Recruit.  I got a Midnight Minichamp and WOW what a beast this tool is.  I have found more reasons to not carry my explorer or the others as this little chubby guy can do nearly everything.  The 58's are some real powerhouses.   
Esse Quam Videri

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:29:43 PM
How do you guys manage to not get the cellidor scratched by keys?
I currently have the beltclip with two chains with Classic Alox and USB Alox on it. I'd like to replace these with my Signature Lite Silvertech but I'm afraid those sexy scales will get scratched to bits in the first day.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 03:13:26 PM

I keep my 58mm in a seath. This way I can remove it quickly and do my job. There's even a hole for lite models to use them from inside the seath. Highly recommended.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:11 PM
I currently have the beltclip with two chains with Classic Alox and USB Alox on it. I'd like to replace these with my Signature Lite Silvertech but I'm afraid those sexy scales will get scratched to bits in the first day.

For a while I carried my classic in the Victoinox black key fob pouch that went on the keyring. But after almost loosing my knife twice from falling out of the pouch, and then the cheap construction of the material started to come apart, I had one made. I took the Victorinox keychain sheath to a leather guy, and had him use it for a base pattern that took the knife deeper in a pouch, right up to the keyring. I use the keyring as a pull tab to get the classic out of the sheath. I also had it made from some nice heavier leather.

A leather sheath is the way to go; it keeps your knife free of being beat to death by the keys, and it also makes it very quick and easy to retrieve the knife without unhooking anything. And I never liked trying to use the knife or scissors with the knife still attached to the keys.

It also has the added benefit of going through security easier. I just toss my keys in the tray with the change and pen and other pocket stuff, and it just goes on through. They never look at a black fob sized case on the keyring. So many cars now have large key fobs or keys, it just goes under the radar.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 07:23:50 PM
I had a Wenger Esquire 65mm on my keys but found I never used it so off it went.  I used my Explorer for nearly everything or my Wenger S10 or Recruit.  I got a Midnight Minichamp and WOW what a beast this tool is.  I have found more reasons to not carry my explorer or the others as this little chubby guy can do nearly everything.  The 58's are some real powerhouses.   

MIdnite Minichamp rules! :tu: :salute:
mccl.jpg
* mccl.jpg (Filesize: 96.1 KB)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 07:38:49 PM

Of course it get a little bit scratched ... if you use it  :think: :D

Still you can have an other new glossy sexy one in the drawler or on a shelf  :facepalm:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 08:19:24 PM
Just won a bid for a rambler and singature for 11 dollars shipped.  My SAK quest is over.

I will see you folks next winter. :tool:
ram sig.jpg
* ram sig.jpg (Filesize: 155.53 KB)

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:31 PM
Put the pen scale on the Rambler and make it a Manager.
That pen can come in handy...Then put that on your keychain.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:29 PM
The mini champ for sure.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 12:06:14 AM

I dont have mine on my keys I put mine in the 5th pocket of my jeans or shirt pocket.  That little sheath is a great idea that kkokkolis has. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:30 AM
Just won a bid for a rambler and singature for 11 dollars shipped.  My SAK quest is over.

I will see you folks next winter. :tool:
See ya next year! :)

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 06:30:52 AM
I have a question!

Why go with a Classic and not a vastly superior Rambler/Signature/MiniChamp?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 07:33:13 AM
There's no reason in my opinion. Minichamp is already tiny and really cheap and the others even more. The two additional blades are really awesome.
The classic has the advantage of a vast selection of scales on the other hand.

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:32 AM
There's no reason in my opinion. Minichamp is already tiny and really cheap and the others even more. The two additional blades are really awesome.
The classic has the advantage of a vast selection of scales on the other hand.

Says the man who EDCs an XAVT!   :P  You're right though, the MiniChamp is a real powerhouse.  So many useful tools in such a tiny package.   :tu:  The Alox MiniChamp is the same thickness as a Rambler.  Just get one now.  You won't regret it.   :pok:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:13 PM
No, I EDC an XLT. The XAVT is a vanity item, my self Queen.
But, if you want to play, you have to carry your toys around, n'est pas?

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 03:40:21 PM
The best bang for the buck is an alox classic.  So small yet O so useful!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:10 PM
I have a question!

For a very good reason;

I very often get positive comments on my classic when  use it in public. How handy, cute, things like that. And very often it's when I see someone struggling toopen a package with a pen, or cut something with a house key. I offer my classic, and when they see how easy a small knife, scissors, or SD tip makes life, I gift it to them. I only tell them to give me a coin for it, because of the old superstition about a coin for a knife. I do this because I get slightly used but excelet condition classics from a lady at a local gun show for 2 dollars each it I buy more than 3. They are TSA confiscations, and inner boxes of knives, the Vic classic is the most over any other knife or tool. Most of the TSA classic's have ben carried but hardly used. So they make a good give away knife to someone who doesn't have any knife at all.

Add that in to the fact that you can buy a classic at any Target, Walmart, Dick's, and Lowes for a the price of a fast food lunch, and you have all the factors that make up a good give away knife to non knife people. All the other 58mm's are both more expensive and harder to find for a non knife person. I'm thinking if they loose it and want another, make it easy for them.

Converting the non knife carrying people is a slow job, and the basic inexpensive classic is the gateway drug to more SAK's. I don't have the money to be giving away many mini champs or managers. But the little classic is the Giddeons Bibble of knives in general, and SAK's in particular.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:34 PM
I have a question!

With so many of us who EDC items for the "just in case" scenario I think the classic and classic sd are the momma bear of 58 mm saks.  Many here are office workers or live in areas where larger blades or more feature rich saks just dont make sense.  Blade, scissors, file/driver tip, tweezers, toothpick makes this tool very handy. 

My friend has a classic on her keys and in her office environment has used hers numerous time as opposed to her Juice CS4.  Lastly, some her are minimalist and either the classic or the classic sd makes for a competent companion. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 05:03:41 PM
Aloha and cbl51, both great responses I couldn't agree more. Also they are exceptionally easy to carry in a variety of ways, so once people have gotten one there is a very good chance they will end up keeping it with them. We all know the best and most used tool is always the one you have with you, and the fact that the classics are smaller and lighter than many keys means they are usually the one people won't mind having around and in turn, using frequently.

That being said, I would love to step up to a rambler or minichamp, but that's because you people here have infected me.....
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 05:49:31 PM
The alox classif is SO thin, it really disappears in the pocket. It is the perfect complement to an alox model. If one carries a 58 and a larger sak, there is no need for the thicker 58s as the're is too much redundancy and stuff in the pocket.

There is a noticeable difference between the alox classic and alox rambler, I generally prefer the classic, but it depends on the knife load I have.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 06:44:30 PM
Two words: Alox Minichamp.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41