Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[DONE] Help needed buying on ebay

gb Offline Cauldronborn

[DONE] Help needed buying on ebay
on: February 08, 2014, 02:08:10 PM
Hi guys

I've found a nice vintage SAK on the American ebay site I'd like to get but as I live in the UK there are, needless to say some problems with that.

Would some kind person here be willing to help me out?

I of course have a Paypal account and would pay all costs and the listing has a buy it now price I'm happy with.

Thanks in advance.

If any is willing please PM me.

Mods, if this is in the wrong place or against the rules I apologize
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:48:49 PM by enki_ck »

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Re: Help needed buying on ebay
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:08:21 PM
A kind person on this forum has helped me out with this listing, so just a quick message to let everyone know no further help is needed.

Thanks for all the interest, I really appreciated it.   

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Re: Help needed buying on ebay
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:09 PM
It should be at my house now. I will see when I get home.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: [DONE] Help needed buying on ebay
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:57:23 PM
Congrats Cauldonborn! :cheers: and good show to you GigaHz :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:32 PM
Thanks J-sews, IF this one is as the seller said it was then I'll be VERY happy. I'll see if I can post pics when I get it but that will be in at least 2 weeks time.

And thanks again GigaHz, I owe you big time.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:24:44 PM
Another MTo success story  :tu:  This is a great community to belong to  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:58:51 PM
GigaHz  :salute:

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:59:55 PM

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:33 PM
Another MTo success story  :tu:  This is a great community to belong to  :D

+1   :salute:
Leatherman

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:59 PM
GigaHz  :salute:

Did you get yours?

Yes, splico. :D We're still waiting for the pics of it. :pok:     

What's your latest SAK?

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:11:52 AM
How do you insert pictures on this forum?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 12:15:06 AM
How do you insert pictures on this forum?

Either by using an external picture hosting service like photobucket or by using the +Attachments and other options underneath the Reply window. 

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 01:18:24 AM
enki_ck, Thanks.

I haven't got the knife yet but GigaHz took some photos he said I could use. The knife is a vintage victorinox 84 mm Climber small.

I spotted it in a link someone on the crazy price thread made, sent the seller a question and it turned out to be a 84mm. That's when I stared this thread
lnfsmallclimber016_zps8950b94e.jpg
* lnfsmallclimber016_zps8950b94e.jpg (Filesize: 63.69 KB)
lnfsmallclimber017_zps12e56e37.jpg
* lnfsmallclimber017_zps12e56e37.jpg (Filesize: 55.81 KB)
lnfsmallclimber020_zpsc43ec006.jpg
* lnfsmallclimber020_zpsc43ec006.jpg (Filesize: 78.36 KB)
lnfsmallclimber021_zps3480a67a.jpg
* lnfsmallclimber021_zps3480a67a.jpg (Filesize: 70.15 KB)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:36:35 AM by Cauldronborn »

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 01:22:50 AM
Congrats  :hatsoff: :2tu:

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:25:33 AM
There are some scratches on the main blade & GigaHz said some of the tools are a bit lazy, but it could just need to be cleaned and oiled. But for the price I won't complain :D

Some more photos   

PS I, or rather GigaHz got it for $30 + shipping :D
lnfsmallclimber015_zps001a8c30.jpg
* lnfsmallclimber015_zps001a8c30.jpg (Filesize: 41.01 KB)
lnfsmallclimber019_zps23801811.jpg
* lnfsmallclimber019_zps23801811.jpg (Filesize: 62.84 KB)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:27:27 AM by Cauldronborn »

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 01:39:29 AM
Congrats  :hatsoff: :2tu:

Thanks.

For what was paid for it I won't worry about actually using it & worst case it gets used for a mod.

I can't wait :mail: :mail: 

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 08:27:13 AM
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:45:44 AM by splico »

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 01:24:43 AM
I said you owe me $1.29. This smurfhole paypals me $1.29. I guess my time is worth nothing. I will think twice before I do this again. A couple a bucks my way goes a long way.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 02:34:25 AM
Please see PM, Thank you.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 12:47:19 PM
I said you owe me $1.29. This smurfhole paypals me $1.29. I guess my time is worth nothing. I will think twice before I do this again. A couple a bucks my way goes a long way.

Who? I?  ???

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 12:54:37 PM
No not you. Nikola paid me plenty. I am very happy dealing with Nikola.

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 12:56:35 PM
No not you. Nikola paid me plenty. I am very happy dealing with Nikola.

:cheers: :salute: :D @enki_ck is the boss  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:58:42 PM by splico »

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 02:37:00 PM
GigaHz

I re-read the message I sent you last night and I realise I came across a bit strong.

For that I again apologize, however if you have seen my PM you'll know the situation behind the reason for your compliant and why I might have been quick to temper. would you mind replying so we resolve this amicably please?

As I said in my PM I fully intended to repay you for your time spent on this transaction on my behalf. But the personal situation I told you about and the arrangements I put in place at my end meant I was unable to see to it myself.

If you PM me back with the amount you would consider to be fair compensation for your efforts I'll see to it personally that you receive it.

I really hope we can solve this without any more aggravation, I really feel at home here and would like to avoid any bad blood between us if at all possible.     

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 06:49:34 PM
 :tu:

:popcorn:

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:06 PM
GigaHz

I've sent you another PM, please look at it.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 01:38:34 AM
Hey guys

Unfortunately I wasn't able to sort things with GigaHz. I normally don't like to sort these things out in public but since he made the first post calling me a "smurfhole" and everybody is watching I think I'd better finish it in the open.

First let me give you a little background.

As you know I asked for help to get a SAK from the US and GigaHz offered his assistance, we PM'd a few times and got things moving.

However a few days after getting things started I had a phone call from my brother who live in the south of England in the Thames valley.

They, along with a lot of other areas are getting very heavy flooding and needed some help moving their furniture and other belongings out of harms way and I stayed of a few days longer to help them and their neighbors with the sandbagging effort.

As I was unable do get reliable access to the net on my smartphone due to damage to the cell towers in the area I asked my partner to take care of any further messages from GigaHz & make any additional payments for shipping ect.     

Unfortunately I neglected to mention anything about reimbursing him for his time & effort on my behalf, so when he asked for an extra $1.29 for postage costs that's exactly what she sent him.       

The first I knew about all this was the post he made above calling me a "smurfhole".

I admit the first reply a sent him was more than a little heated, but considering what I had spent the previous few days doing I think this would be understandable.

I did apologize for my mistake and offer to pay him for his time in that first message but got no response to that one or any of the others I sent him until today.

Earlier today I sent him another PM and finally got a reply, below is the message I sent.

"GigaHz

I'm still waiting for a reply.  I know my first message was very sharp and again I apologize for losing my temper so easily however I hope you'll understand considering what I have been dealing with recently.

I've admitted I made a mistake and have tried to stepped up to take responsibility for it and I am trying to resolve it peacefully, but I can't do much more about it without you joining me in this effort.

In short I'm trying to offer an olive branch here. I'll happily pay you for your time but I just want to know how much you would consider a reasonable amount for your efforts.

I really hope you'll accept my offer and allow us to settle this matter without any more animosity.

Yours respectfully."

This is the response I got.

"$100 won't do it, so drop it. If you have to ask how much, my time is worthless to you."

Needless to say I won't be taking this any further.

I'll leave it up everyone to make up their own minds about all this.

I really don't want to be the cause of anymore animosity on this forum, so as much as I have enjoyed my time here I'm seriously considering terminating my account.

I'll make my final decision based on the responses to this post, if the consensus is that I was in the wrong or could have done more to resolve it then I think it would be best if I left.

GigaHz is a much for established & respected member than I am and the last thing I want to be the the newcomer who causes trouble, I've seen that too many times on other forums.

My best respects to you all.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 08:39:04 AM
What part of drop it don't you get? It is water under the bridge. Let it go. I see you can't do that. Lets see, if I stay at work and work over time I can make well over $50 a hour. So to me my time is worth over $50 an hour. I do this to be nice to people who see a good deal over here and they can't get it. Why you can't drop this is beyond me. My wife has Lupus. Do you hear me using that as an excuse for anything? So If I spent a half an hour ordering it then opening it. Then taking pictures. Waiting for response. Emailing to get paid. Replying to your Nervous Nelly emails. Repackaging it. Going to the Post office. It really makes no sense to charge $25 for my time. Everyone else I have ever done this for has paid a little to a lot over. It just pissed me off that you offered nothing extra till I had to ask. By then it was way too late. It is done. I see no reason for all this drama. We can easily coexist on the same forum. I just won't be sending you any packages any time soon.

gb Offline Philby

Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:05 AM
As people's expectations ar all different.  I think that in situations like this if you want something in return for helping you should state clearly what you expect.  As I read it you asked for $1.29, that's what you got.  Dealing through posts and E-mails its very difficult to understand what is expected. Just ask, or don't offer to help.  No need to be mean. :D 

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 09:14:49 AM
True it was mean to call him am smurfhole. But to me some things are just implied or expected. Why did everyone else offer up something for my time?

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 11:11:09 AM
Just my take on things, and I realize that my opinion means next to nothing here but figured I would give it just the same.

Maybe because I came from other communities first (Cigar, 4x4, Overlanding, Custom Firearm Parts) and we have different expectations, but I would never offer to do something like this for someone and then expect to make money off of them. In the past when I have done something similar (countless times) it was only to help someone because I wanted to do it for them and not to make a buck off of someone who shared the same passion I do.

Hoping that someone, especially a new member, will pick up on implications or understand something that you believe to be expected without any indicator is just setting yourself up for this. If you expect to be reimbursed for your time then you should have said as much. It's also not a matter of what others have done but a matter of what has happened now.

You call him out in public and then expect him to drop it without ever uttering a word as to what is going on? Wow, I don't know anybody who would be ok with being called a "smurfhole" in public. New members, especially, have to watch their reputation and work harder to make sure that everything is above board. We have no room for error before we become shunned by the community.

Anyway, TL;DR, if you want to make money off of fellow enthusiasts then start a business. If you want to help a community of like minded enthusiasts then do it with zero expectations and out of the kindness of your heart. Don't call someone out in public and then ignore them, if you do then you should expect it to all be brought public.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%