Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar plier swap?

Cogito · 10 · 1713

us Offline Cogito

Rebar plier swap?
on: March 02, 2014, 05:05:21 AM
Can anyone tell me if swapping a rebar head into a sidekick or wingman is an easy procedure or if it's possible at all?  I want springy pliers but with the better replaceable cutters from the rebar.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Rebar plier swap?
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:12:12 AM
I have no idea. Sounds neat.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:18:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that is is the sidekick/wingman plier head itself that is sprung not the tool, but I could be wrong. So I think if you did swap them then it still wouldn't have the spring action. At least I think.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

de Offline Teletin

• PVD-coated member
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 12:15:50 PM
Never done this mod but I think that the Rebar and the Wingman pliers have different sizes :(

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 01:47:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that is the sidekick/wingman plier head itself that is sprung not the tool, but I could be wrong. So I think if you did swap them then it still wouldn't have the spring action. At least I think.
I'd agree with this
just dragged out both tools and the heads look pretty much the same size (to my old and stupid eyes), I've never done this kind of 'Mod' so I'm no expert.
i' a big fan of the 'Wingman' as I've said on many occasions BUT I wouldn't do the head swap, you'd just be voiding 2 warranties for no great gain IMHO and  I can't see anyone wanting a Rebar with wingman head  :o

us Offline Cogito

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:43 AM
I'm pretty sure that is the sidekick/wingman plier head itself that is sprung not the tool, but I could be wrong. So I think if you did swap them then it still wouldn't have the spring action. At least I think.
I'd agree with this
just dragged out both tools and the heads look pretty much the same size (to my old and stupid eyes), I've never done this kind of 'Mod' so I'm no expert.
i' a big fan of the 'Wingman' as I've said on many occasions BUT I wouldn't do the head swap, you'd just be voiding 2 warranties for no great gain IMHO and  I can't see anyone wanting a Rebar with wingman head  :o

That's a good point, for some reason I thought it was something in the handles that made them springy and I would be able to switch them out.

I guess it saves me the trouble of buying a rebar.

I have a new plan, tell me what you guys think.  What if I had holes drilled into the current sidekick/wingman wire cutters so I could install the replaceable wire cutters into those.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:52:31 AM
Not sure how you could swing that one, you would have to machine the faces flat so the cutters would have a place to sit. Then tap the remaining metal so you could screw the cutters in. I'm not sure how strong it would end up being after you finished all of that, if it was all the possible.

I applaud your ambition but I just don't want you to risk ruining a tool when the chance of success isn't all that high.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:21 AM
Could one of you kind people put up a pic of a rebar without the wire cutters in it.  I think if I saw what I had to copy I might get a better idea on how to do it or if it is possible at all.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:13 AM

us Offline Cogito

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:17:42 AM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=46366.0

In here

Thanks, you are right that is def a lot of missing metal so it won't be doable for me :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%