Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Traditional Games and Toys

be Offline Wilfried

Traditional Games and Toys
on: February 09, 2014, 10:58:20 PM
Traditional Games and Toys - An Introduction

This new thread is certainly not only about the games we used to play as children, but of course also the traditional games we still use to play, occasionally or regularly, with our children or with other adults or both.

It could also be about games you are planning to learn and also about beautiful boardgames or other traditional games you own and eventually collect or would like to purchase.

You are invited to discuss those games and to post pictures of them.

The games that can be discussed here should emphatically be traditional games, like draughts (checkers), halma, chess, sea battle, stratego, table shuffleboard, table bowls or card games to name only a few.

The same goes for toys.

If you could find some spare time to tell us something about the toys you played with as a child -or still play with for that matter- and care to show us some pictures of the toys you still have in your possession, that would be great!

Army men and tin soldiers, Meccano or Lego, paper planes and boats, castles and fortresses, Jumping jacks, yo-yos and toy cars and much more are all welcome subjects.

Also children’s games like Tip you’re it, Hide-and-seek, Marbles, Cops and Robbers or Leapfrog and many others are worthy of our attention. If you ever played those games, than please talk about it.

This is going to be a lot of fun!       :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:00:17 PM by Wilfried »

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Traditional Games and Toys
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:32:22 PM
I was big into GI Joe...had all the men, the 7 foot aircraft carrier, terrordrome, and all the trimmings. All of it is out in dads garage to this day.

I also had muscle men , micro machines, go-bots, shirt tales, snorks, and glow ghosts. Also everything gremlins.

On a more traditional toy path i loved lincoln logs, tinker toys, and my tonka ford bronco.

man, the 80's had the best toys.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:15 PM
in scouts we played capture the flag, played war games with flour bombs - basically a paper towel filled with flour you tagged another with.

we also had a sadistic game called Hot butter and blue beans...you hide a scout belt and the others try to find it. The one who finds it whoops everyones ass while yelling hot butter and blue beans. You gotta make it to the safe zone before you got beat. Who ever finds it gets their turn at hiding it.

game got banned after a couple years and angry parents...
:like:    :MTO:

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:01 PM
Tangram

Tangram is a game that I began to play around 1976-1977 and have continued to play to this very day.

The tangram (literally "seven boards of skill") is a puzzle consisting of seven flat shapes only, called tans, which are put together to form shapes.

The objective of the puzzle is to form a specific shape (given only an outline or silhouette) using all seven pieces, which may not overlap. It is reputed to have been invented in China during the Song Dynasty and then carried over to Europe by trading ships in the early 19th century.

The puzzle was originally popularized by The Eighth Book Of Tan, a fictitious history of Tangram.

The puzzle eventually reached England, where it became very fashionable indeed. The craze quickly spread to other European countries. This was mostly due to a pair of British Tangram books, The Fashionable Chinese Puzzle, and the accompanying solution book, Key.

Soon tangram sets were being exported in great number from China, made of various materials, from glass, to wood, to tortoise shell.

I first learned about the game by reading Robert van Gulik's Judge Dee novel The Chinese Nail Murders.

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:54:46 PM
I was big into GI Joe...had all the men, the 7 foot aircraft carrier, terrordrome, and all the trimmings. All of it is out in dads garage to this day.

I also had muscle men , micro machines, go-bots, shirt tales, snorks, and glow ghosts. Also everything gremlins.

On a more traditional toy path i loved lincoln logs, tinker toys, and my tonka ford bronco.

I liked GI Joe as well, but was more of a Transformers guy myself, and still am :D  I too loved my Lincoln Logs back in the day.  The 80's were good for sure :tu:  As for board games, when I was a kid, Aggravation was really fun, and Chinese checkers. 
K-Tibbs

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:03:13 AM
in scouts we played capture the flag, played war games with flour bombs - basically a paper towel filled with flour you tagged another with.

we also had a sadistic game called Hot butter and blue beans...you hide a scout belt and the others try to find it. The one who finds it whoops everyones ass while yelling hot butter and blue beans. You gotta make it to the safe zone before you got beat. Who ever finds it gets their turn at hiding it.

game got banned after a couple years and angry parents...

That must have been a lot of fun!    :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
 :think: hmm, let's see. Mine were He-man, transformers, Legos, and constructs. That was pretty much it, after I out grew all them I went into remote control cars, and that was about it.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:12:53 AM

I liked GI Joe as well, but was more of a Transformers guy myself, and still am :D  I too loved my Lincoln Logs back in the day.  The 80's were good for sure :tu:  As for board games, when I was a kid, Aggravation was really fun, and Chinese checkers.

By Chinese checkers I take it this is what you mean:

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 12:36:18 AM
Electro Junior

Some of you will possibly remember this, from back in the days that you were tiny and everything was a big wonderful miracle… The power of a magical light that glowed up when you had the right answer!

:)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:37:50 AM
When we where growing up, we were to poor to pay attention. All we had to play with was a pile of sticks and a rock. And we had to share that rock. Oh yeah we played Chess too. :)
I played Chess, Checkers and Backgammon. Some card games. I still play Chess every now again.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:21 AM
When we where growing up, we were to poor to pay attention. All we had to play with was a pile of sticks and a rock. And we had to share that rock. Oh yeah we played Chess too. :)
I played Chess, Checkers and Backgammon. Some card games. I still play Chess every now again.

that's us mobile
I always likes Chess, never was any good at it but always liked it!

Another game my grandmother had that I played with was a barrel full of monkey's, where you had to take one monkey and try to pick up all the others and make like a chain until they were all picked up.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:12:55 AM

By Chinese checkers I take it this is what you mean:

(Image removed from quote.)

That is correct sir.  Haven't played that in ages.  I'm not really sure I'd remember how actually. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:37:06 AM
I have a feeling that Monrogue, Pacu, MadPlumbarian, and I are all about the same age, judging from some of the toys mentioned.  :)  Actually I know that I'm only about four days older than JR.....  ;)  No Thundercats guys?  Aside from those toys, checkers, chess, and Chinese checkers were all a part of growing up.  Kickball was another game we'd play in my neighborhood, since there was a school with  a large blacktop area with bases already marked on it just at the end of my block.  Games are still a big part of family get-togethers, though they have evolved with time.  Full-contact Scattergories is always fun, as is Jersey rules Monopoly.  That involves traditional Essex County money making methods - extortion, protection rackets, kickbacks, etc......  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:47:53 AM
As a kid my family was big on crokinole.

Id like to get a board and play with my son when hes old enough.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 02:50:12 AM
I have a feeling that Monrogue, Pacu, MadPlumbarian, and I are all about the same age, judging from some of the toys mentioned.  :)  Actually I know that I'm only about four days older than JR.....  ;)  No Thundercats guys?  Aside from those toys, checkers, chess, and Chinese checkers were all a part of growing up.  Kickball was another game we'd play in my neighborhood, since there was a school with  a large blacktop area with bases already marked on it just at the end of my block.  Games are still a big part of family get-togethers, though they have evolved with time.  Full-contact Scattergories is always fun, as is Jersey rules Monopoly.  That involves traditional Essex County money making methods - extortion, protection rackets, kickbacks, etc......  ::)
More like seven days :P but no, never into thunder cats, my cousin on the other hand liked them.. JR

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:43 AM
A few videos showing to some extent what the possibilities of Tangram are:

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:01 AM

You're probably right about the age.  I know JR is around my age (I think I'm the older one though).  I used to watch Thundercats, but I don't remember being into the toys.  However, every so often on Facebook, I see that 80's page post toys that I had forgotten I even had.  Oh, of course there were the TMNT as well...can't believe I didn't mention those.  That was my other big one along with Transformers.
K-Tibbs

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 02:59:52 AM

I never saw that game before...   

Looked it up on Wikipedia      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crokinole

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:51 AM
More like seven days :P but no, never into thunder cats, my cousin on the other hand liked them.. JR

Yep it is seven days.  Damn kids.....  :P   :D 

Monrogue, yeah I see those postings and I remember having things I hadn't thought about in 25 years.  At work, one of the products we carry came with a View-Master and a disk instead of a brochure.  A lot of people get a kick out of playing with it!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 03:08:47 AM

Monrogue, yeah I see those postings and I remember having things I hadn't thought about in 25 years.  At work, one of the products we carry came with a View-Master and a disk instead of a brochure.  A lot of people get a kick out of playing with it!

I had one of those too...       :)

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:54 AM

Yup.  I remember those as well :tu:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 03:45:37 AM

We love that game!  I bought that Leevalley one for my wife for Christmas quite a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:43 AM

You're probably right about the age.  I know JR is around my age (I think I'm the older one though).  I used to watch Thundercats, but I don't remember being into the toys.  However, every so often on Facebook, I see that 80's page post toys that I had forgotten I even had.  Oh, of course there were the TMNT as well...can't believe I didn't mention those.  That was my other big one along with Transformers.
Ha ha, that makes you the oldest, and me the youngest out of the three of us so :P boy some how I'm starting to feel real young! lol.. JR

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 05:30:18 AM
LEGO

It will probably not come as a complete surprise to you, that LEGO was one of my favorite toys back in the 1960s.

The Lego Group began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen (born 7 April 1891), a carpenter from Billund, Denmark, who began making wooden toys in 1932.
In 1934, his company came to be called "Lego", from the Danish phrase leg godt, which means "play well". It expanded to producing plastic toys in 1947.
In 1949 Lego began producing, among other new products, an early version of the now famous interlocking bricks, calling them "Automatic Binding Bricks". These bricks were based in part on the Kiddicraft Self-Locking Bricks, which were patented in the United Kingdom in 1939.

Lego began manufacturing interlocking toy bricks in 1949. Since then a global Lego subculture has developed, supporting movies, games, competitions, and six themed amusement parks. As of 2013, around 560 billion Lego parts have been produced.

LEGO as I remember it...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 05:48:08 AM
LEGO is a classic for sure.

I used to love tinkertoy too.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 06:04:50 AM

Ha ha, that makes you the oldest, and me the youngest out of the three of us so :P boy some how I'm starting to feel real young! lol.. JR

Yeah, you watch yourself you whippersnapper :rant:  Kids these days....
K-Tibbs

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:16 AM
Let's see.
Chess, checkers, 9 men Morris, Monopoly, Stratego (my favorite), Lego, Meccano (another favorite), Playmobile (crazed with it), Subuteo, Fussbal (still have one, I can show pics), toy soldiers both plastic and lead (played war by shooting the plastics with rubber bands), coil football (very popular here and then), ball games (we called one the "German"), yo-yo.
Then the electronics came, starting from Atari, then Amstrad and Commodore.
Played Tangram too. And a lot of others.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:07 AM
  :worthless:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 12:25:50 PM
LEGO

It will probably not come as a complete surprise to you, that LEGO was one of my favorite toys back in the 1960s.

The Lego Group began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen (born 7 April 1891), a carpenter from Billund, Denmark, who began making wooden toys in 1932.
In 1934, his company came to be called "Lego", from the Danish phrase leg godt, which means "play well". It expanded to producing plastic toys in 1947.
In 1949 Lego began producing, among other new products, an early version of the now famous interlocking bricks, calling them "Automatic Binding Bricks". These bricks were based in part on the Kiddicraft Self-Locking Bricks, which were patented in the United Kingdom in 1939.

Lego began manufacturing interlocking toy bricks in 1949. Since then a global Lego subculture has developed, supporting movies, games, competitions, and six themed amusement parks. As of 2013, around 560 billion Lego parts have been produced.

LEGO as I remember it...

Lego was probably my favorite thing to play with, and still today I love helping my son build with it.  I don't think there's a better toy out there to spark the imagination and let the creativity flow.  I would build by the plans, play with it for probably a week or so, then take apart and build from my mind.  I'm happy to say that my 6 year old son does the same. :tu:

Monopoly is one of my favorite board games, and we have 3 or 4 different versions of it. 

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:19 PM

Yup.  I remember those as well :tu:
I forgot about those. Those are cool.
Anybody played with Lincoln logs or tinker toys?

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56