Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How Does The Swisstools Locks Work?

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
How Does The Swisstools Locks Work?
on: May 30, 2008, 06:08:24 AM
I was looking at my soon to be departed Swisstool X's locking mechanism & was surprised how small the spring was for the locking plate , the system looks very similar too the Spirits .The springs function is non load bearing one I think & clearly it works the only problem I could find on this forum was a post on the Spirithttp://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4711.msg77431.html#msg77431 What does everyone think is the spring a weak point?  Here is a pic of the X's locking spring       The LM Surge's lock & spring are combined are these known to fail/break ? :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline jzmtl

Re: How Does The Swisstools Locks Work?
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:56:37 AM
The spring is non-load bearing like you said, it's just to keep the thing you slide in place that's it. The slider wedge against the notch on back of every tool to keep them open.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:35 AM
I've never heard of them breaking, or even becoming weak :), LM liner locks on the other hand...
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:26:23 PM
I have had a liner lock break on my old Wave.  LM replaced both handles with new ones and the locks are still utter pants.
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 05:36:01 PM
the locks are still utter pants.

LOL.  Can you translate that for us Yanks?
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:36:48 PM
the locks are still utter pants.

LOL.  Can you translate that for us Yanks?

A nice way to put it would be "not very good"  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:38:44 PM
That was the feeling I got.  Thanks.
- Terry

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:03:27 PM
I remember alot of talk about the Spirit lock failing a while back . I'm sure it was one incident with one guy posting it everywhere  :think: Remeber the Spirit is a light weight version and the Swisstool locks are a little larger .I certainly have never had a lock fail on a Swisstool or Spirit .

Dunc

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:05:42 PM
Yeah, I have never had a lock fail on ANY MT either..
B

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 07:43:50 AM
I remember alot of talk about the Spirit lock failing a while back . I'm sure it was one incident with one guy posting it everywhere  :think: Remeber the Spirit is a light weight version and the Swisstool locks are a little larger .I certainly have never had a lock fail on a Swisstool or Spirit .

Dunc

I posted the thread he mentioned.  Actually, the lock holds great with steady pressure, it was only when I repeatedly used the awl to chip some ice that it failed. It did fail a whine tap test but again that's probably not real world. Still wonder what caused it though. I have NEVER had a Swisstool lock or a Leatherman lock fail.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:02 AM

Dunc

I posted the thread he mentioned.  Actually, the lock holds great with steady pressure, it was only when I repeatedly used the awl to chip some ice that it failed. It did fail a whine tap test but again that's probably not real world. Still wonder what caused it though. I have NEVER had a Swisstool lock or a Leatherman lock fail.

Maybe it was an early run or Spirits .

dunc

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 12:18:00 AM

Maybe it was an early run or Spirits .

dunc
[/quote]

It was. I haven't tried a newer one but am kind of concerned they would be the same way and then I'd have a third one. I know you can never have too many....

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 09:10:50 PM

Dunc

I posted the thread he mentioned.  Actually, the lock holds great with steady pressure, it was only when I repeatedly used the awl to chip some ice that it failed. I

I had the same thing happen to my Spirit now that you mention it.  I thought maybe my hand slipped down the handle and accidentally moved the lock while I was chipping.  However, I think it might be that the action of chipping the ice might actually compress the spring enough to cause it to let go.
- Terry

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:30:16 AM

Dunc

I posted the thread he mentioned.  Actually, the lock holds great with steady pressure, it was only when I repeatedly used the awl to chip some ice that it failed. I

I had the same thing happen to my Spirit now that you mention it.  I thought maybe my hand slipped down the handle and accidentally moved the lock while I was chipping.  However, I think it might be that the action of chipping the ice might actually compress the spring enough to cause it to let go.
So that tiny spring could be a problem? Be interesting to do the ice chip test with a swisstool & see what happens. The swisstool & spirits springs visually look the same , is the swisstools larger ? :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:15:50 AM
Yeah it's larger by a fair margin mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 03:39:55 AM
I trust my Vickies a lot more tha liner lock Leathermans ( which have never failed me yet ) .

Chris

Offline raptor

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 09:24:35 AM
similar with Benchmade axis lock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86