Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Survival Pack

de Offline Thehunt

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Survival Pack
on: October 06, 2023, 11:03:48 AM
GHB (Get Home Bag) backpacks or those that want to be, there are plenty.
But when a manufacturer like Tasmanian Tiger adds a survival backpack to its lineup, it's worth taking a closer look.

The Survival Pack is a small (16 liter capacity) modular, multi-function backpack designed to carry the "most important survival essentials." How these look, everyone can define for themselves, so my equipment serves only as a "serving suggestion".

The carrying systems (yes, plural) deserve special consideration:

First, similar to a tote bag, you will find two large carrying handles that allow the backpack to be carried comfortably on the "long arm".

A backpack also usually has two shoulder straps:

Or even just one, here in the "Slinger" use case:

Here is the back view, flat padded, a use over a plate carrier is no problem:

The shoulder straps are tightly padded, a chest lock can also be found.
If you want to wear the pack as a slinger, simply undo the straps, stow one in the back compartment and clip the other on crosswise:

On the right and left, in addition to the top carry handles, there are two simple but sturdy handles each.

The shoulder straps can be stowed in their own compartment, which can also accommodate the top carry handles:

The Velcro strips hold the compartment closed:

The lower straps also disappear into the back compartment if you don't want to take them off completely:

Once you've stowed everything on the handles and straps, the backpack fits under train or airplane seats, in small overhead compartments, or in the large drawer of your office desk.

All zippers are taped and shrink wrapped.

All the zippers?
No, one small unbending.... Zipper for the bottom compartment comes without.
Inside the compartment we find the rain cover (I don't know of any other backpack this size that has this on board...), which has a signal stripe on one side.

Securely clipped on and adjustable by cord stopper.
In addition, there is a signal panel, which can be attached to the front.

Shown here from 20 meters away:

7 meters:

The signaling effect is there, but you shouldn't rely on that alone.

Here's the rain cover:

So on the front we find three zippered compartments plus one closed with Velcro.

Gloves and mask must not be missing in case of disaster....

A view from above into the Velcro compartment, here with pen and notepad, in the compartment itself there are three elastic loops, for multitools, pistol magazines (AR mags are too long) or flashlights.

On the top we can find loops for pens or cyalume lights, or even carabiners, in addition to the outlet for cables or drinking tubes:

Suspended from the carabiner, you can nicely see the daisychain attached to the front.
Two Velcro areas are also on board, one large enough to attach Velcro organizers or small pouches.

A little hidden are the two G-Hooks used to attach additional pouches (Tac Pouch 8.1).

Here's a little taste of the interior:
You can arrange all the zippers inside so that they can be accessed from one side. Very practical!

The clamshell design allows the backpack to open completely flat, lying or hanging then depends on the load.

Let's take a look at the interior.
At the very top, two (actually, four) loops for the aforementioned pop-up lights (you can never have enough...) or pens. Behind that is a compartment for a hydration bladder including suspension (3 liter Source was too big, a 2 liter I could not test unfortunately) or as in my case a thick Shemagh.

Some pretty nifty design:
All inner pockets have a semi-transparent front, so that it is immediately visible what´s inside. Very helpful and saves a long search. In the top pocket a large Nalgene, including Tatonka cup, also in large. But that fills the bag only partially.

In the second, larger compartment, a food bag. Practical here the Velcro strips, so the food bag can not fall out unintentionally. Also inserted, a fleece jacket.

On the other side we find four individual pockets, two of them removable by Velcro:

Below loops for shockcord (included, sic!).
In one pocket "master key" and poncho, in the other First Aid, in its own signal-colored pocket.

In my case, the top two pockets contain a Sillcock key along with a compass and scavenging pouch, in addition to a flashlight and headlamp.

If you want to attach wet clothes or rain jackets to the outside of the backpack, for example, simply thread the shockcord into the daisychain, CordLock on, done:

Also wears well in the still very warm weather:

What can I say great, once again a very thoughtful backpack that TT has put on the market here. I use it a little off-kilter as a tech bag, thanks to the super organization options, the Survival Pack is made for it.

However, it is cooler like this:

[/url][/url]:

As always, if you have any questions, just ask!
M

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Survival Pack
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 11:15:16 AM
Great review! :like:
The backpack looks very good :tu:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 12:45:21 PM
Great review! :like:
The backpack looks very good :tu:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

+1

Great pics and very thorough review! Thanks for sharing!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 02:30:26 PM
Nice bag! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 05:39:08 AM
Very well thought out bag! How heavy is it empty?

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

de Offline Thehunt

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 05:54:12 AM
Glad you guys like it.
Empty weight is 1.3 kilos, which is pretty ok, given the features and pouchs already included.
M

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 07:02:59 AM
Thanks!

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 02:57:48 PM
Nice pictures and great review !  :like: