Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

new spirit

Offline nitroman

new spirit
on: May 30, 2008, 01:22:34 PM
G'day people, i just bought a victorinox swisstool spirit after owning a couple of leathermans and im very impressed. its what ive always wanted and feels perfect. I grew up on the old swiss army knives and the leatherman never impressed me as far as it's quality. I needed a new multitool for my new job as a firefighter so I bought a leatherman surge thinking it would satisfy me. In reality it was a rattly heavy lump that was like carrying a .44 magnum on my belt. I can't even notice the spirit is there until i need it and when i do it feels magic. Good work victorinox! :climber:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: new spirit
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:42 PM
G'day people, i just bought a victorinox swisstool spirit after owning a couple of leathermans and im very impressed. its what ive always wanted and feels perfect. I grew up on the old swiss army knives and the leatherman never impressed me as far as it's quality. I needed a new multitool for my new job as a firefighter so I bought a leatherman surge thinking it would satisfy me. In reality it was a rattly heavy lump that was like carrying a .44 magnum on my belt. I can't even notice the spirit is there until i need it and when i do it feels magic. Good work victorinox! :climber:
Welcome aboard mate, and it's good to have another rescue service bloke here :cheers:

I'm glad you like the Spirit, it really is a cracking tool :), so what version did you get then ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:35:34 PM
Welcome aboard smoke-eater :D I was a volunteer firefighter myself 20+ years ago. One of the many good things about the Spirit is that you can carry it in your pocket off duty,and not have it feel too bulky.
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:34:22 PM
Welcome to the forum mate!  :)

You just wait till leatherman123 reads what you said;

:D :D
I'm back!!

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:14 PM
I'll look forward to that too :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:56:04 PM
Welcome to the forums  :D Great choice with the Spirit , your among friends here  ;)

Dunc

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:59:33 PM
Welcome aboard.  Good choice on the Spirit--I know you'll love it.

It satisfies you better than the Surge!, you say?  ;) :D
- Terry

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:16 PM
. I needed a new multitool for my new job as a firefighter so I bought a leatherman surge thinking it would satisfy me. In reality it was a rattly heavy lump that was like carrying a .44 magnum on my belt.

Well, I can see where your coming from with the weight of the tool. But, I don't understand why you would rather have nail nicks than a one handed opening blade. That would be especially useful for firefighting tasks.
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:10:11 PM
. I needed a new multitool for my new job as a firefighter so I bought a leatherman surge thinking it would satisfy me. In reality it was a rattly heavy lump that was like carrying a .44 magnum on my belt.

Well, I can see where your coming from with the weight of the tool. But, I don't understand why you would rather have nail nicks than a one handed opening blade. That would be especially useful for firefighting tasks.

I'm sure Nitroman will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure as a Firefighter he would use it more for sharpening pencils / China markers and adjusting / repairing equipment in the station . He would have dedicated equipment for rescue and a knife too I would imagine . The multitool would act as a backup and also be very handy for day to day things .

Dunc

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:11:04 PM
Yeah, I suppose your right..
B

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 01:16:41 AM

Welcome and feel at home here Nitroman.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 02:23:38 AM
I EDC a Spirit and it's probably the perfect combination of uses, craftsmanship, and portability. 

Keep your eye out for a full size Swisstool to...it's another really great multi that has a big following.
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 03:04:55 AM
So, the SURGE didn't do it for you?
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04:29 PM
Greetings nitroman! :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 09:21:17 PM
welcome to the forum nitroman!

congrats on your score! (Spirit group hug)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 11:46:29 PM
So, the SURGE didn't do it for you?

I keep it in my bag since I never got a sheath for it.  I still need to get those security bits and mod it :-X
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 11:55:39 PM
Oh, I see..
B

Offline nitroman

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 01:12:51 PM
Wow! I'm blown away! I didn't know there were so many other pocket knife fanatics out there. Thank you all for your warm welcome. I actually used the surge today to cut a seatbelt during a rescue demonstration when we cut up a car at our fire station open day. And it did work pretty well slicing through the belt using the serrated blade. I bought the surge for rescue work and because it looked good on paper,but in hindsight I probably should have bought the swisstool spirit as a rescue knife in the first place. I think the leatherman is effective, but as a daily wearer it is just too big and heavy to be worn comfortably every day. As a daily wearer and something to be proud to own the spirit plus just wins hands down. The quality of the victorinox steel, the nice smooth feel,the light weight and the way it clicks open and shut just feels perfect. :sak:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 03:12:40 PM
Have you thought about a Victorinox Swisstool RS ? its bigger then the Spirit but smaller then the Surge . Same superb build quality as the Spirit just more heavy duty . The RS belt cutter is a fantastic bit of kit that slices through seat belts rope and clothing with no trouble . Its what I use as a rescue tool .

Clck on this video I made cutting different rope

Dunc

Offline nezza33

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 08:35:51 PM
Hey mate if you want a good one hand opener for cutting you should get a pocket knife.I use a BM Gripptilian and a swiss tool then i have a fully serrated spyderco assit on my climbing harness for ropes.However the landrovers carry a Gerber hinderer.
J

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 12:22:09 AM
Hey mate if you want a good one hand opener for cutting you should get a pocket knife.I use a BM Gripptilian and a swiss tool then i have a fully serrated spyderco assit on my climbing harness for ropes.However the landrovers carry a Gerber hinderer.

The Spyderco works well. Or if you want a multitool you could try a Leatherman Charge. There have been some good deals on them and if you look around you might still get one. Otherwise the new wave is good. Both of these are relatively light.

Otherwise I think the V-nox Rescue might be the best choice.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 12:57:08 AM
its bigger then the Spirit but smaller then the Surge

Would you really call it smaller? They are both 4.5 inches.. But, the SwissTool is much lighter. About a three ounce difference...
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:11 AM
its bigger then the Spirit but smaller then the Surge

Would you really call it smaller? They are both 4.5 inches.. But, the SwissTool is much lighter. About a three ounce difference...

Isn't the Swisstool not as wide and slimmer?
I'm back!!

Offline nitroman

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 05:43:18 AM
Mmmmm... that swisstool rs sure looks nice. I like the victorinox rescue tool too, but i want the pliers as well. I wish victorinox would make a version of the leatherman crunch with it's vice grip locking jaws but with a seat belt cutter and all the other nice victorinox tools. I'll have to try a swisstool rs now (just don't tell the missus ok) and see if it satisfies. Who sell them the cheapest?  :gimme:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 05:46:57 AM
Mmmmm... that swisstool rs sure looks nice. I like the victorinox rescue tool too, but i want the pliers as well. I wish victorinox would make a version of the leatherman crunch with it's vice grip locking jaws but with a seat belt cutter and all the other nice victorinox tools. I'll have to try a swisstool rs now (just don't tell the missus ok) and see if it satisfies. Who sell them the cheapest?  :gimme:

Felinevet usually sells them for $60. Try clicking on his banner at the top of the page. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline nitroman

Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 12:58:59 PM
I bought a swisstool rs on ebay new for $54 last night as well as a sigature lite swiss army knife I've been eyeing off for a while now for $18 new. I can't wait! This is a sick sick new addiction I have and you are all responsible!

Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:02 PM
Yep we're pretty good at spending other people's money :D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 03:15:16 PM
Yep we're pretty good at spending other people's money :D
That's the thing we do best :D Enjoy your new acquisitions!
I

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 05:17:34 PM
This is a sick sick new addiction I have and you are all responsible!
You better not join the SOSAK forum at knifeforums then. If you think you are spending too much money now, you aint seen nothing yet!
-------
Alexei

Offline nitroman

Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 12:17:49 PM
What next! i was looking at that interview with the Victorinox rep and those rescue lock blades look pretty good. And so does the original swiss army knife model. Where does it all end?! :climber:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%