Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK... Why???

Dale · 257 · 17311

us Offline Dale

Re: SAK... Why???
Reply #240 on: February 22, 2014, 03:19:05 AM
Got this yesterday... LowTech graciously donated it to further my budding SAK interests...

I was surprised how quickly it took an edge.
(Image removed from quote.)

I really like this one... It seems like a perfect carry size.

What Model is it.

the victorinox scissors is something special.

I carry a sak because they are so light and handy.

A leathermans best friend is a good sak.

its one of those tools that grow on you the more you use one.

I have used both Wenger and Victorinox Knives HARD I've never broke one.

The Spartan

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #241 on: February 22, 2014, 12:41:16 PM
They are compact, reliable, super high quality, and the warranty and customer service from Victorinox is unbeatable. I have sent knives in that I have broken tools off by doing stupid things, told them I did it, and they repair or replace it for the $5 shipping cost. The last couple of times they also replaced the scales and shipped the old scales back with the knives. Every warranty issue I have had was my own fault, but they do not seem to care either way. They just fix or replace their product. This is why I own dozens of them.

They are also fairly easy to customize. You can easily change scales within minutes, and if you are a bit more adventurous, you can disassemble them and add tools and layers as you wish. The parts are all rather modular and manufactured to super tight tolerances, so they just fit together.

They really are made to last a lifetime, and then some. I have a Victorinox SAK from the 1960s that is still tight as a drum and it looks nearly brand new.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #242 on: February 22, 2014, 07:40:04 PM

.....and it felt like this, right?

:D

Personally, other than what Enki_ck posted earlier about SAK, I have yet to find reliable resources to verify what exactly are the steel used for Vic MTs.  But as compared to my LM products, I do suspect its composition should be something better than 420, if not very similar to traditional SAK steels.

I too am curious about use of super steel in MT, but I don't think the market is really there to support it...or not just yet. 

Instead of individual blade using super steel, I would much rather see MT company upgrade the steel used for entire tool.  I definitely will love to see a Charge TTi move away from something like 420 to as least 440C or better, instead of just the blade steel upgrades from S30V to S90V.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #243 on: February 22, 2014, 11:14:28 PM
Don't ask why ...  :D
but how many, as you probably already figured it out  :pok:
:facepalm:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #244 on: February 23, 2014, 02:31:00 AM

AMEN!  :cheers:

I love the new sig Dale.  :D
- Terry

us Offline Dale

Reply #245 on: February 23, 2014, 02:57:26 AM

AMEN!  :cheers:

I love the new sig Dale.  :D

+1 Thanks

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #246 on: February 23, 2014, 09:34:03 AM
Just read this whole thread and had a few good chuckles :salute:

Just want to add that while pliers are nice to have around, locking pliers are even better. The LM Crunch is a great tool and pairs well with a SAK.

Also keep in mind that you can replace the scales on any 91mm SAK with PLUS scales that include slots for a pen and a pin. Given your line of work I can imagine that you have to deal with paperwork in a sometimes less than well equipped environment in terms of office supplies and thus somebody has to run back to somewhere to find a pen. Having one on your knife can be extremely handy.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #247 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:24 AM
Each of us, in varying degrees, is filled with angst.  We live in a world which, in biblical parlance, is groaning in travail and awaiting its liberation from bondage to decay.

Great stuff here, looking forward to the powernoodle blog site :cheers:  Love the beach ball simile :tu:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:15 AM

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #249 on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:30 AM
 JDavis sure knows his way around a bevel.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Dale

Reply #250 on: February 23, 2014, 04:23:08 PM
Just read this whole thread and had a few good chuckles :salute:

Just want to add that while pliers are nice to have around, locking pliers are even better. The LM Crunch is a great tool and pairs well with a SAK.

Also keep in mind that you can replace the scales on any 91mm SAK with PLUS scales that include slots for a pen and a pin. Given your line of work I can imagine that you have to deal with paperwork in a sometimes less than well equipped environment in terms of office supplies and thus somebody has to run back to somewhere to find a pen. Having one on your knife can be extremely handy.

+1, Although I feel I would be remiss in not mentioning. I have a total pen fetish as well.... I just need to get one of those Maxpedition EDC bags fill it and take it everywhere with me.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #251 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:44 AM
+1, Although I feel I would be remiss in not mentioning. I have a total pen fetish as well.... I just need to get one of those Maxpedition EDC bags fill it and take it everywhere with me.

:doh: Shoulda seen that one coming  :D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #252 on: February 24, 2014, 03:01:22 PM
Hey dale I kinda know where your coming from as to heavy duty being a plumber, let me give you a little story.. When I was 10, I saw my grandfathers sak and I sooo wanted one, so he said when I turn 12 he would give me one for my bday, I thought it was the best, but as I got older I noticed it wasn't a freaking KaBar, my teacher had a gerber, so I thought it was better, and I bought my first multitool, of course it was a palm pincher, but it would take the abuse but from then on, I noticed just about every multi tool I had something broke, I even broke a leatherman crunches jaw! Now being a little older and out of field I really don't need something so heavy duty, so I swapped back to sak, and I looked back and have I've noticed one thing, I've only broke one thing on any of my sak's and that was the plastic that came off,, and as someone else said the only thing that really sucks tool wise is the pliers, I mean even on any multitool there not for heavy duty. I don't know what you need tool wise, but since I switch I even went to alox which has aluminum sides and are not glued on, and the tools and knives are a little bigger being 93mm, but they even have larger tools going up to 111mm, so in my honest opinion a sak is better then a multitool, and if you need pliers, throw a real pair of 6" or 8" craftsman or channellocks under the seat, at least they will take the abuse, and on top of that if you break the multitools pliers your not out all tools if you have to send it in for repairs! So that's my look on multitool vs sak,, and I see why my grandfather did the same.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #253 on: February 24, 2014, 03:57:55 PM
Got this yesterday... LowTech graciously donated it to further my budding SAK interests...

I was surprised how quickly it took an edge.

I really like this one... It seems like a perfect carry size.

I am glad you like the Spartan - It does include all teh tools from the first swiss Army Officers knife and for me always will be "the" SAK prototype.
From there you can find variations up to pocket-bulging liner counts, but with a Spartan in your pocket, most everyday tasks can be handled.
Enjoy it, it was my pleasure to share some SAK-goodness.

us Offline Dale

Reply #254 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:17 PM
I do agree for the most part. I carry that Spartan everywhere. But when I have to crawl under this rig. I leave the SAKs in my pocket... unless its the Swisstool.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: February 25, 2014, 12:58:23 PM
I too have work tasks my SAK cannot handle, I was rather referring to the little odds and ends you run into on a day off - Loose thread, apple to be eaten, teh nephew that needs a stick while out in the yard, opening your daily MT delivery....
at those tasks a SAK is very helpful and yet will not draw any negative attention a Spyderco might rise.  ;)

us Offline Dale

Reply #256 on: February 25, 2014, 02:54:41 PM
I too have work tasks my SAK cannot handle, I was rather referring to the little odds and ends you run into on a day off - Loose thread, apple to be eaten, teh nephew that needs a stick while out in the yard, opening your daily MT delivery....
at those tasks a SAK is very helpful and yet will not draw any negative attention a Spyderco might rise.  ;)

+1  :climber:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75