Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber

Dale · 66 · 5131

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Gerber
Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:34 PM
I blame you Jersey!!! You cost me a $20
Gerber 400 COMPACT SPORT
(Image removed from quote.)

Good looking piece! You will get a lot of use out of that thing. I actually carried my old (2004) MP400 at work this past tour and really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Sure, it was aggravating trying to open everything out of the inside of the tool, but it is such a comfortable tool with easy to use pliers that I really didn't mind too bad. In fact, it kind of has me wanting a MP600. I am going to be on the lookout for a blunt-nose ProScout and if I find one, it will be mine.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Dale

Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 10:18:31 PM
Gerber 400 COMPACT SPORT

Good looking piece! You will get a lot of use out of that thing. I actually carried my old (2004) MP400 at work this past tour and really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Sure, it was aggravating trying to open everything out of the inside of the tool, but it is such a comfortable tool with easy to use pliers that I really didn't mind too bad. In fact, it kind of has me wanting a MP600. I am going to be on the lookout for a blunt-nose ProScout and if I find one, it will be mine.

I have this on the way too!!! No sense half stepping... LOL

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 10:27:47 PM
Wow, you work fast! Lol

And again, another good looking tool. Let us know how you like your new Gerbers
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Dale

Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 10:52:14 PM
I blame ya'll

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:50 PM
I blame ya'll

Don't blame us.  We're just trying to get you to experience new things, and to realize that there is more to the multitool world than Leatherman.  We're not trying to enable, we're trying to help and expand your horizons.  :tu:

OK, that was a load of BS.  Blame away!  >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Dale

Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 11:04:05 PM
I blame ya'll

Don't blame us.  We're just trying to get you to experience new things, and to realize that there is more to the multitool world than Leatherman.  We're not trying to enable, we're trying to help and expand your horizons.  :tu:

it was a great pitch tho.... Gonna try it on Mrs D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:49:09 PM by Dale »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48:08 PM

I blame ya'll

You had me thinking that you must of have a bad fever with what you were saying there!  We are the Enablers!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 10:49:40 AM
Gerber 400 COMPACT SPORT

You can always just get a regular Pro Scout, and a regular bluntnose MP600, and mate them into a bluntnose ProScout ;) That's what Lowtech did for me, at least, supposed to be a really easy mod :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 05:21:55 PM
I was actually just catching up on that topic. I didn't realize that BN MP600 ProScouts were so rare. I will be keeping my eyes open for donor MP600s in order to make one to my liking.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 06:16:34 PM
Swapping the heads over really is pretty easy, just be careful not to lose the little springs that sit in behind the buttons.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 06:20:49 PM
The BN Pro Scout does seem to be a bit of a rare fish for some reason, but they definitely do exist.

Not a head swap, bought of the shelf that way. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:12 PM
how big is an MP600 compared to a Leatherman?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 10:58:22 PM
Here's mine next to a TTi and PST.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 10:59:10 PM
Another shot.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 11:01:40 PM
ST200.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 11:02:19 PM
ST200.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 01:03:42 AM
I have owned three Gerbers:

The Multiplier shown on page one here with the large awl. That was a great tool. I carried it for a very long time, and had no real complaints aside from the pinch problem. It was my first MT, and I only replaced it due to loss.

A Pro Scout. Also a terrific tool. That was EDC for many years and even I used it extensively as a handyman, in the shop at college, and to renovate a 100 year old house. My only continuing issue was the pinching.

A Diesel. This was an utter piece of garbage, and put me off Gerber entirely. You see, my Pro Scout was preceded by a LM ST200 that I never carried. I got the LM as a gift after I lost the original Multiplier. I missed the one hand pliers, and for sentimental reasons I just wanted another Gerber. So I went and bought the Pro Scout days after getting the ST.

I did eventually start using the ST for jobs on occasion because of the saw and nicer blade. Then the Pro Scout pliers finally went south on me and got all sticky. They were just useless. The ST was actually a solid tool, and I came to appreciate it, but I still had my Gerber fetish on as I had owned two of them that just kicked a$$ and really saw rough use.

Anyway, to wrap a long story.. I carried the ST, and truly loved it, until I saw the Diesel. It looked like the ultimate Gerber to me. I had to have one, and my by now trusty ST200 lost its place on my hip..

..for about 3 days.

The first day I had the Diesel I went to cut a zip tie with that ugly warncliff combo blade. The tip chipped right off. Ugh. I suddenly missed the old Gerber blades and my ST200 blade.

Soon after I discovered that the scissors spring would slip up onto the scissors. Ugh again. My Pro Scout scissors were top notch. These sucked.

Day three I needed to remove a stair railing. Just some wood screws in studs under drywall. The Phillips stripped on the first screw. I mean all the fins rounded right off. I was absolutely pi$$ed off. The ST finished the job with absolute ease. The Diesel was deemed the end of my love affair with Gerber. It hit me right then and there that while the Gerbers had the whiz bang flick pliers factor, my ST200 was just better in every way. And I had always viewed it as something I wanted to replace with a Gerber ASAP. Dumb dumb dumb.

I went happily back to the ST and never looked back. I bought a Surge eventually, and I liked a lot of things about it. It isn't perfect, but it was as good as my Pro Scout. I bought an ST300 and find it to be excellent. I now EDC a Rebar and think it is the closest thing to a Pro Scout I have ever owned. It is also smaller, and does not pinch me.

So, if you ask me, I would NEVER buy a Diesel for any reason whatsoever. I would, however, happily buy another Pro Scout. I just don't need one. And that blade they use now sucks donkey scrote. If Gerber brought back the old blade, I would say a Pro Scout or Rebar or Spirit or Wave are THE recommended EDC MTs, period.

Avoid the Diesel. And for anyone recommending one, have you ever actually used it for real work? I mean really? I am sure someone here will chime in and say yes. I am dubious. The blade, scissors, and Phillips driver all are utter crap. Sorry.

Someone above mentioned that one of us put Pro Scout bits into a Diesel. That was me. After the thing failed miserably, I added the parts from my pliers locked Pro Scout. The proper 3D Phillips, the scissors (I think anyway), the saw blade exchanger, and the blade. I managed to keep the openers, the file, and the Diesel saw. It was a waste of time though. I now have a Gerber aversion and it just feels cheap to me.

I admit to kinda wanting a Dime and a 400. I won't buy them though. Eh.

G

us Offline Dale

Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 01:27:09 AM
Thanks Glorn.. I did a bit of research.  There a A LOT of people out there with your same opinion.. I have a Pro Scout on the way.... There's something about the look of the Scout that I really like.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 01:37:49 AM
 No problem, hoss. Happy to help.

My opinion and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks, but I am a user as opposed to a collector. I believe MTs and SAKs should be mandatory on every human on Earth from the day they are born. So when I come across a naff multi, I'm gonna do my best to assure nobody else gets saddled with one, the manufacturer sells less of them, and it doesn't ruin any first time MT buyers opinion of multitools.

If we as users and enthusiasts expect a higher standard and help get higher standard tools into peoples hands, everyone is better off.

:salute:
G

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:02 AM
...sucks donkey scrote.

:rofl:

But... how do you REALLY feel?  :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:40 AM
I've also read that about the Diesel.  That's one reason that I'm not in a hurry to get myself one.  As users though, I'll put my MP400 and 600's against all comers.  Yes, they're not as refined as, say, a Spirit.  They're tough tools though.  I've never had a single issue with any modern MP I've ever handled.  No current MP has ever pinched me, either.  The old ones?  My first one got me about two minutes after I got it out of the package.  Yes, Gerber gets its share of abuse on this forum, and at times rightly so.  Hell, I broke a Suspension just handling it in a store!  :oops:  But an MP600 won't let you down, that I say with confidence.  Mine never has, and I'm not exactly one to baby my tools.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 11:28:34 AM
I have been carrying Gerber MPs (Original Multiplier and MP 600s later) for the last 17 years.
Apart from normal wear (dull blades, abused Awl and wire cutter) or pure curiosity for teh other models, there was no need to ever replace or repair any of them.

If it was not for the Forum, I´d still be using my first, standard Bluntnosed MP 600.

I did try out SOG, Leatherman, Vic and others, but I always have come back to my Gerber - I know about it´s limitatons an capabilities and I do get along with the inside tools pretty well - Usually I dont need my blade/file7scissor one hand opening, but if i need, I can get them out with one hand.

Not refined or elegant tools, but capable ones.

us Offline Dale

Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:14 PM
The Mailman was good to me today!

The MP600 Pro Scout & It's little brother the MP400 Compact

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:19:45 PM by Dale »

us Offline Dale

Reply #53 on: February 23, 2014, 05:29:04 AM
Being that I dont care for nylon sheaths.... Anyone know where I could get a couple  leather shesths for these? I'd actually prefer the custom open top pancake style...

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #54 on: February 23, 2014, 05:55:45 AM
If you use a blast leather sheath you can do this. Fits extremely well you just have to put a hole in it. This will only work for the MP400.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=47631.msg783091#msg783091
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Dale

Reply #55 on: February 23, 2014, 05:59:39 AM
If you use a blast leather sheath you can do this. Fits extremely well you just have to put a hole in it. This will only work for the MP400.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=47631.msg783091#msg783091

+1

us Offline Dale

Reply #56 on: February 23, 2014, 03:49:51 PM
I found a Leathersmith here locally.. I think I'm gonna have him make me a few sheaths. :)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 23, 2014, 08:05:35 PM
I made a modified LM sheath for my MP 400:

compared to the stock one:

us Offline Dale

Reply #58 on: February 23, 2014, 08:17:59 PM
I made a modified LM sheath for my MP 400:

compared to the stock one:

Nice!!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 23, 2014, 08:36:30 PM
I see some Gerber leather sheaths on the bay once in a while. They are not as common as the nylon sheaths. Come to think of it I dont know if I've ever seen a leather sheath for a 400 or 600  :think:    :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:38:35 PM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD