Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade Show 2008 - SOG Booth

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Blade Show 2008 - SOG Booth
on: May 31, 2008, 03:25:38 AM
When I visted SOG's booth I was greeted by our buddy Chris Cashbough, Spencer was there too much was occupied with someone else. I was shown the new and upcomming PowerAssist model, for those of you who don't know this is SOG's merger of a assisted blade married to a SOG multitool. The idea sounded cool but we all are a little skeptical. Well Chris demostrated that the tool was indeed not awkward and it was comfortable being opening up both with your left or right hand. The PowerAssist features most of the tools on the Powerlock 2.0 that came out earlier this year, this version was the EOD model of the tool. This tool was not what I expected and though awkward to me at first could become second nature. All of the "bugs" that were in the earlier protos are now gone and the tool works. Locks are a little odd and the saftey will take some getting use too. For the SOG lover, you will love this with the passion of your other tools. For a newcomer to the multitool world, I would stray away. Assisted opening blades have thier place but I am not sure if it's in the realm of multitools. Once I get my mits on one of these tools I may grow to like it more, just not my cup of tea I guess. Overall it was impressive and I could see that SOG went to great lenghts to make this tool a reality.

Tool fully open

PowerAssist one side:

PowerAssist other side: (notice the locks and saftey mechanism?)

Main spear point blade open

Side of the PowerAssist where the assist action is, for two blades (one plain and one serrated) it sacrifices one whole handle of the tool.

Close up of the locking mechanism for the blades and saftey lock.

Any one been playing those keys???

I had not had a chance to play with a Powerlock 2.0 model, playing with this was a real treat. The keys may not be a good idea for unlocking or locking individual tools but it played a good part at showing me that SOG could produce a tool that didn't have clumping. The gear covers were nice, much more comfortable in my hand than the plain gears. Chris noted that alot of the features in the Powerlock 2.0 and the assist came from the callaboration between Paladin and SOG. SOG just carried over the ideas they incorperated on the power play models. Chris also hinted that they are working on a new tool for 2009, he would not tell me anything other than it was a full size multitool. Hmmmm the mind wonders? What is being conjured up in Spencer's head?? Guess we will have to wait and see.

Offline AJ

Re: Blade Show 2008 - SOG Booth
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:08:37 AM
Interesting,

Have any idea what the price is on that one?

[

Offline tomcrx

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:52:36 AM
What is the comfort factor on the pliers now that it does'nt have the "wings"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:14:55 AM
Great shots Dave. It's been interesting to watch the PowerAssist develop.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:32:42 AM
Look's good with the gear cover's :), shame it won't be legal over here ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:21 AM
Look's good with the gear cover's :), shame it won't be legal over here ::)

In theory it is legal over here  ;) assisted opening hasnt been banned yet .As long as you have to help the blade out to get it started with somekind of flipperor slidder rather then full auto at the press of a button .But there is no way Id like to EDC it , just too risky .
  I wish I still had this

http://www.heinnie.com/Yddxbu457558/Knives/Kershaw/Kershaw-Boa/p-92-158-1260/

They sure do go for alot of money now  :(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 02:17:42 PM
That's one awkward looking multitool!
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 07:22:12 PM
In theory it is legal over here  Wink assisted opening hasnt been banned yet .As long as you have to help the blade out to get it started with somekind of flipperor slidder rather then full auto at the press of a button

I think Mike might have been referring to the locks rather than the assisted opener.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 07:59:34 PM
Great insights Dave!

I too have mixed feelings about the PowerAssist, but regardless, it is exciting to see SOG pushing the multitool envelope, forcing the other guys to keep up. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 08:19:31 PM
In theory it is legal over here  Wink assisted opening hasnt been banned yet .As long as you have to help the blade out to get it started with somekind of flipperor slidder rather then full auto at the press of a button

I think Mike might have been referring to the locks rather than the assisted opener.

Def

Until Mike chimes in  :D, I am going to join in the assumption game and say that Mike probably was talking about the assisted opening.  :D

Like Dunc said, this tool is legal to own in the UK and could even be carried in public if you had a good enough reason to.  To me, it's not worth the risk of carrying it.  Would still like to get one for the collection though.  :)
I'm back!!

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:09:29 PM

Def
Yep :), but the assisted opening's got to be a no -no soon too :(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 10:23:00 PM

Def
Yep :), but the assisted opening's got to be a no -no soon too :(

Damn, I lost.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:18 PM
You ought to be used to that feeling by now :P :D

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 04:27:43 AM
The rep couldn't figure out how to get the blades to work when I went by the booth. Not sure if it was a user or a tool problem but I was disappointed I didn't get to try it out.  :cry:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:50:34 AM
There are indeed no covers on the handles yet due to one handle having the plastic spacer that houses the springs in the middle it isnt too uncomfortable. Price? No price mentioned, still will be August till we see it. SOG's website says $115 but we all know that is bloated and it will never be that much. :D Any other questions?

David

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 02:23:46 AM
There are indeed no covers on the handles yet due to one handle having the plastic spacer that houses the springs in the middle it isnt too uncomfortable. Price? No price mentioned, still will be August till we see it. SOG's website says $115 but we all know that is bloated and it will never be that much. :D Any other questions?

David
Great work David :) The power assist opening , does it open all the tools, could it be deemed a aggressive action ie a flick knife which would probably make it illegal in  Australia . :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 02:31:42 AM
Just the two blades on one handle of the tool are spring assited, I am not sure about regulations in australia but it would seem something like this might be illegal.

David

Offline raptor

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:28:46 AM
why two same blades??

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 01:26:49 PM
It's actually supposed to be (as far as all I've read) a plain edged blade and a serrated edged blade.

As it's still in the experimentation stage though, just about anything can still be changed on it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 01:48:49 PM
Chris said the product was just about ready to be shipped, the model I played with was not the finshed product but close to it, they just happened to have an older one. The one that gets released will have a round lock release I think he said rather than the one you see in the photos. Yes one is serrated and the other one a plain edge, Chris demostrated and I soon follow suit that you can indeed open the blade left handed with no issues (injury), it seems awkward as hell but i guess I could get use to it.

David

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 07:39:56 AM
Did he say anything about the PowerCut and if that thing is ever going to be released?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 01:46:03 PM
There was no mention of the powercut and I don't recall seeing one in thier display case. I should still be on track as far as I know, no set back unlike the PowerAssist.

David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD