Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

W.H. Morley & Sons

J-sews · 12 · 12709

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
W.H. Morley & Sons
on: May 31, 2008, 10:52:29 PM

According to renowned knife expert Bernard Levine, this old plier knife was made sometime around the 1920's. The tang of the main blade is stamped W.H. MORLEY & SONS GERMANY.

In Levine's Guide to Knives And Their Values, it states that this ancient multitool was imported into the U.S. by Adolph Kastor & Bros of New York, owners of the now-defunct Camillus Cutlery Company.

That's about everything I've been able to learn about the history of this old tool. It has stag handles as you can see from the pictures. The pliers, knives, and bolsters are all regular carbon steel. (stainless steel hadn't been invented yet as far as I know) The liners and pins are brass.

Plier jaws are a bit smaller than would seem useful, although better than nothing obviously. There is even a small wire cutter notch in near the pivot.

The end of the plier handle is beveled down for use as a flathead screwdriver. (again, phillips screws weren't around back in the 1920's) The bail keeps the pliers closed when not in use.

There is a large master blade about 2-1/2" long (60mm) and a short pen blade. The pen blade has a "curl" to it instead of being flat, making it useful perhaps as an awl blade.

Anybody else ever seen one of these Morleys?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:25:09 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: W.H. Morley & Sons
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:59 PM
I've never seen one before, but my God that thing's lovely :drool:, it just reeks of German engineering know how :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:55:44 PM
Man those look really nice Bob. :multi:
"

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:56:09 PM
Very nice!
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:07:26 AM
 A work of beauty; I guess that to make something like that today,the cost of materials and level of workmanship would put it out of reach of most people.
I

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:38:26 AM
Nice tool there Bob. I got to handle similar patterns at the Blade show and really like the way it felt in hand. I can't tell from the pictures, do you have two of the same model or is it just photo editing?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:27:10 AM
Nice tool there Bob. I got to handle similar patterns at the Blade show and really like the way it felt in hand. I can't tell from the pictures, do you have two of the same model or is it just photo editing?

Nope, I really do have two of them. Paid waaayyy too much for one a few years ago, then stumbled across another one more recently at a decent price. :)

By the way, does anyone think a modern multitool with stag handles would sell well? 

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:28:24 AM
How much, Bob? I know that I wouldn't buy a Stag handled MT!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:53:16 AM
As a special perhaps, but people nowadays seem more interested in something more industrial that they can abuse and not worry about.

I think the stag handles look sharp, but if I had a modern tool like that it would likely be a safe queen.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:17:06 AM

Nope, I really do have two of them. Paid waaayyy too much for one a few years ago, then stumbled across another one more recently at a decent price. :)

By the way, does anyone think a modern multitool with stag handles would sell well? 

Nah, probably not, I think you'd be loath to use it :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:59 AM
I love the look of Stag handles, but for practicality, like Def said, it would probably be more of a safe queen.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 08:50:36 PM
I like the look of it, hey could the etches on the plier handle be a file or ruler markings or just to get a better grip :think: Just wondering though.  All of my fav knifes have stag but sadly don't get much use for same reason I wouldn't use that one  :(  Just to pretty for now aday use I guess  :P  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%