Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bitten by a Byed

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Bitten by a Byed
on: December 25, 2006, 03:51:35 AM
I am looking at the Spyderco/Byrd Harp Tool again.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this one?  Is it worth the $20 most places are asking for it?

Every now and then it catches my eye and I think I should get one- hell I spend $20 on lunch at McDonalds some days so it's not like I'll miss it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Bitten by a Byed
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 04:31:22 AM
I've seen it for sale on a couple of websites, but haven't heard anything - good or bad - about it.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 04:32:13 AM
You don't have one? :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 04:53:12 AM
It ain't got pliers. I'm a Plier People person.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 01:42:54 PM
I can see now that my mission is clear...

For the sake of Multitool.org I will have to take one for the team and get the Harp tool....

Def

Offline joebw

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 03:40:49 PM
Hi Def,

I've got the Byrd Harp.  It is interesting, but more from a historical viewpoint than for use.  None of the implements lock.  I wonder about resistance to twisting.  However, for the money, it is a neat addition to a multi-collection.

Best - Joe

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 03:46:02 PM
That's kind of what I thought.  I like the modernization of what seems to have been the oldest of the multi tool designs.  Correct me if I am wrong (which is very likely) but doesn't the harp type design predate the folding pliers?

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:21:55 AM
The harp tool was actually concocted in approximately 580 BC when the early presbyterians required a method of keeping their finest craftsman tools handy. The funny part is that they never actually invented the musical harp until the following spring, and it was originally called the Harp Tool Musical Thing which was eventually shortened to the harp. the tool fell into obscurity and so its an interesting coinkidink that Byrd called it a harp today. what came first, the nail or the hammer, you know?
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 03:03:52 AM
I'm sure glad that question is finally cleared up.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 03:32:52 AM
None of the implements lock.  I wonder about resistance to twisting. 

The thing looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 12:05:29 PM
The harp tool was actually concocted in approximately 580 BC when the early presbyterians required a method of keeping their finest craftsman tools handy. The funny part is that they never actually invented the musical harp until the following spring, and it was originally called the Harp Tool Musical Thing which was eventually shortened to the harp. the tool fell into obscurity and so its an interesting coinkidink that Byrd called it a harp today. what came first, the nail or the hammer, you know?

Anyone ever tell you that you have waaaayyyy too much time on your hands?  O0

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 01:46:40 AM
For a couple of years now, I've heard rumors about a successor to the SpydeRench. Today I found a picture of it, called the Spyderco ByrdRench.

* Spyderco ByrdRench.jpg (Filesize: 17.05 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 07:28:55 AM
Funny... I was just looking at the Spyderrench on Ebay a couple of days ago.  The auctions are going for over a $100 and I buy to use, never to collect.  After I read this post I went to the Spyderco forums and heard rumor that they will manufacturer the original as well as the new ByrdRench.  Not sure if it's true.  ...btw, those Spyderco forum guys have some disturbing signatures in their posts--I hope they have some adult supervision with their knives.  :P   

Offline Cheviot

Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 11:18:59 AM
For a couple of years now, I've heard rumors about a successor to the SpydeRench. Today I found a picture of it, called the Spyderco ByrdRench.

It looks a hell of a lot like my Spyderrench, what are the differances?

Stay Safe

Rob
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 04:28:04 PM
It looks a hell of a lot like my Spyderrench, what are the differances?

All I've got is this one picture, but it appears that the only differences are the little "Byrd" symbols.

Kinda disappointing; I was expecting a bit more excitement.

* Byrds.jpg (Filesize: 21.34 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%