Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade Show 2008 - Buck Booth

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Blade Show 2008 - Buck Booth
on: May 31, 2008, 03:03:19 AM
Well going into the show was impressive, never have I seen so many knives under one roof! It truely was an amazing sight. I first walked around for a bit just to see the sights and get my bearings, see who I had to see and where they were located at.

My first stop was the Buck Knives booth, nothing much out of buck since the SHOT show. Good news is that the new X-Tracts are on thier way! I got a good look and played with the new LED model and the FIN model. The LED Model was impressive, the light seemed pretty bright and I would have taken a picture of the beam but the lighting wasn't good for it. The FIN model is my favorite of all, makes me love the idea behind the X-Tract idea even more. The great things about this tool are are the plain edged blade (no more combo edge here) and the one hand opening scissors are pretty sweet too. Here are the pics....

Both new models next to eachother, FIN on the top and LED on the bottom.

Good shot of the light from the LED model.

FIN model with tools out for show.

Pliers are those standard on the other X-tract models, one hand opening and good for light duty.

That plain edge blade that I love oooh so much!

The scissors are one hand opening but like the scissors on the new leatherman models you are greeted with the sharp end first. When I opened it up I was greeted with this....

After I folded it down, it worked pretty good. They remind me alot of those found on the juice series of tools my leatherman. They ride off the backspring and are pretty robust. I think scissors are a great addition to the X-Tract and I can't wait to get one.

The guy at the booth said it was his first time and he wasn't very helpful but did the best he could. Both models are due out in August he said and they have a Expected MSRP of about $35.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Re: Blade Show 2008 - Buck Booth
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:10:27 AM
Thanks for your report and excellent photos!

After seeing your pics I'm lusting after a Fin, big time.

N

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:30:21 AM
That look a creditable alternative to the Skeletool :)

Keep em coming Dave :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 08:41:12 PM
Gotta get me one of those FIN's. I would use the scissors far more often than I use the can opener on the regular X-Tract.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline silentio

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:21:48 PM
Thanks for the great pics. How much does the Fin weigh? $35 seems like a steal, and with a scissors too... Agree with mickey d, would make a good replacement for the skeletool.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:00:53 AM
The FIN weighs slightly more than the regular x-tract, the small added weight is worth it. The sheath will weigh more due to the sharpening stone (diamond) that comes with it, no sheath was with the FIN I played with so I assume it is one like Smith's Sharpening products are like. I personally would ditch the sharpener and keep it in a regular sheath, if I plan on being out and using the tool's knife alot i would pack the stone to at least sharpen the blade. Lord knows I don't have any fish hooks that need sharpening hehehehe Lovely addition to the x-tract series, I loved the scissors integral spring (just like the juice series), makes everything more user friendly :)

David

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:23:18 AM
Does the 732-> on blade means anything?

FIN looks very nice, definately would get one if I didn't already have more tools than I use.

Never a fan of those integeral 5mm led on tools. Adds a whole lot of bulk for little practical function, if any at all. But then again I usually have a high powered led light on me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:26:15 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 02:33:24 AM
732 might mean model number and that symbol denoting that it is an import from thier factory, I know thier US knives have a marking to identify they are made here in the states.

David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD