Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why Scissors?

NutSAK · 52 · 5427

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Why Scissors?
on: February 26, 2014, 05:00:50 PM
It seems that, besides the blade and opener layers, the SAK scissors are very popular with MTO members, and SAK buyers as a whole.  This shows in the popularity of models such as the Climber, Explorer, Compact, Huntsman, 93mm customs, etc.

I'm not one to use scissors much, as I find that I can accomplish most cutting duties with a blade.  The only thing I use scissors for on a regular basis is to cut my fingernails, and the 58mm scissors work well for that.  I'm curious...  What types of duties do MTO SAK users typically employ their larger 91/84mm scissors to accomplish?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:02:55 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Why Scissors?
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:10:18 PM
While I don't have the larger scissors, I use the 58mm scissors as my only set at school. Always light duty stuff but they get used for all of my paper cutting and then for nail trimming. I agree with you though, for almost all cutting jobs, blades are just as effective. I would say that scissors, for certain jobs, are more precise and definitely more people friendly if that is a concern.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:47:07 PM
Nylon zip ties, most fabrics, paper, thin plastic, hair, small pruning, I use mine excessively, even the 58mm's. :salute:

Also candle wicks and origami, if you need them for that, I don't usually.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:51:30 PM by twiliter »

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:54:05 PM
My wife uses mine all the time to clip coupons, save that money woman, so I can buy another sak !!
CHEERS

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:22 PM
I've actually noticed that the 58mm scissors can do the job of their bigger brothers, or rather the same task I'd ask of the 91mm scissors I could ask of the 58's and they accomplish it just as efficiently.

In general I ask scissors to open small bags of what ever. Mostly candy, but I'm off the sweet as of now. Sheet plastic, certain packaging where I feel a blade may penetrate and damage the goods. (also use the cut&picker for this, more so even) I prefer scissors to cut twine, thread, string, cord, etc... Nails in a pinch. No paper cutting with SAK scissors, prefer dedicated scissors for that. Fabric... anything thin, or flat. Hences sheets of plastic, cord, etc...

Oh and nose hairs and some other grooming task

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:40 PM
My wife uses mine all the time to clip coupons, save that money woman, so I can buy another sak !!

It sounds like you need to buy her a SAK.  My wife loves her Executive--they have nice mid-size scissors.
- Terry

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:38 PM
While there are a great number of things a blade can do to replace scissors, in many instances, the scissors are safer.

Primarily, I use scissors to cut paper (clip a coupon, for instance), taking plastic tags off new items, trimming stray threads (like on buttons). My husband repeatedly tells me he uses his for trimming nose hairs. Sounds funny, but it's just one of those facts of being a human, and not something most people would want to attempt with a blade, I think.

In many cutting tasks, scissors are more precise than a blade, particularly if you're somewhere without a surface to cut against.

Honestly, for pretty much everything I just mentioned, the Vic 58mm are fine. Sometimes better, since they're so small (making them easier to maneuver, so more precise).

For heavy duty cutting, like zip ties, I honestly (and vastly) prefer the Leatherman Micra, Style CS, or SOG Crosscut. They eat zip ties much better than the Vic 91mm scissors.

The 91mm scissors, versus the 58mm, really only win greatly, IMO, when cutting a LOT of material, where the blade stroke length starts being noticeable.

I don't know how to gauge their benefit versus folks who don't like blades, since I prefer scissors over blade, and carry a scissor-based MT, so I very VERY rarely pull a blade out in public. I suspect, since I don't really recall any negative reactions, scissors must be preferable.

Hope this helps some.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:08:58 PM
While there are a great number of things a blade can do to replace scissors, in many instances, the scissors are safer.

Primarily, I use scissors to cut paper (clip a coupon, for instance), taking plastic tags off new items, trimming stray threads (like on buttons). My husband repeatedly tells me he uses his for trimming nose hairs. Sounds funny, but it's just one of those facts of being a human, and not something most people would want to attempt with a blade, I think.

In many cutting tasks, scissors are more precise than a blade, particularly if you're somewhere without a surface to cut against.

Honestly, for pretty much everything I just mentioned, the Vic 58mm are fine. Sometimes better, since they're so small (making them easier to maneuver, so more precise).

For heavy duty cutting, like zip ties, I honestly (and vastly) prefer the Leatherman Micra, Style CS, or SOG Crosscut. They eat zip ties much better than the Vic 91mm scissors.

The 91mm scissors, versus the 58mm, really only win greatly, IMO, when cutting a LOT of material, where the blade stroke length starts being noticeable.

I don't know how to gauge their benefit versus folks who don't like blades, since I prefer scissors over blade, and carry a scissor-based MT, so I very VERY rarely pull a blade out in public. I suspect, since I don't really recall any negative reactions, scissors must be preferable.

Hope this helps some.

This expresses my thoughts completely, and more eloquently than I could. :)
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 06:13:07 PM

Hope this helps some.

This expresses my thoughts completely, and more eloquently than I could. :)

+1 Same here.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:38:46 PM
...I very VERY rarely pull a blade out in public. I suspect, since I don't really recall any negative reactions, scissors must be preferable.

I use a blade in public frequently and, in the area I live in, I have never experienced a negative reaction doing so.  By using the same reasoning, should I suspect that the blade must be preferable?

:D  ;)
- Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 06:45:06 PM
I rarely use the scissors. If I do its for precise cutting or my fingernails. And I can use a blade for my fingernails. Its one of those tools nice to have. But if the multi doesn't have them, no problem.
Using scissors instead of a blade to appear more "friendly" to "nonknife people", never gonna happen with me. Never did care what people think of the knife or tool I used.
that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:56:42 PM
When do I prefer scissors?

1.  Removing sutures from animals/children.
2. Cutting down in dark tight spaces when my other hand will be in there (ie some autopsy work)
3. Loose threads
4.  Large bolts of cloth

Otherwise, I prefer a knife blade.  Public perception be damned.  >:D

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:51:01 PM
I carry an Executive for hair trimming duties. I have a beard and sometimes a few hairs get a little wild.

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:34:34 AM
I cut wire with mine daily. Vic and wenger. Mostly smaller gauge stuff. No larger than, say, 18g.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:37 AM
While I agree that a blade can be used for most cutting tasks, some things are just safer and or easier with scissors, such as:
- trimming fingernails and or hangnails
- trimming hairs
- removing tags or loose threads from clothing (especially if done while someone is wearing said clothing)
- cutting straws to length (They tend to want to flatten or fold if a knife blade is used.  This is also an example of an activity where 91mm scissors are better than 58mm, since the 91mm will go cleanly through the entire straw in one snip, while the 58mm may not be able to cut deeply enough in a single stroke to do this.)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 05:01:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, all!  :tu:
- Terry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:46 PM
Gift wrapping,cutting helicopters out of people's hair,cutting plasters and pill packages,handy in the kitchen for opening food packaging, trimming decals for model kits...

Being in the UK,blade exposure needs to be approached with caution( although I tend to get a lot of positive feedback at work from customers),scissors are just plain handy!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:57 PM
I rarely use the scissors. If I do its for precise cutting or my fingernails. And I can use a blade for my fingernails. Its one of those tools nice to have. But if the multi doesn't have them, no problem.
Using scissors instead of a blade to appear more "friendly" to "nonknife people", never gonna happen with me. Never did care what people think of the knife or tool I used.
that's us mobile

ROGER THAT !
CHEERS

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:24 PM
I think the main thing I hadn't considered here is that many of us live in areas where people find the appearance of a knife blade threatening.  That's easy for me to forget since a blade is commonplace in my area of the world.
- Terry

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 11:45:30 PM
cutting helicopters out of people's hair,

OK, you didn't think you would be able to just post that without expanding on it, did you?  :pok:  :pok:  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 12:08:11 AM
cutting helicopters out of people's hair,

OK, you didn't think you would be able to just post that without expanding on it, did you?  :pok:  :pok:  :)

Believe it or not...just what it says :shrug:

Far too often the guys 'demonstrating' the r/c helis screw up,and get the heli caught in a lady's hair.

They've tried the same smurf with me from time to time,but its surprising how quickly a MP400 or 600 explains things :dd:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 12:08:45 AM
Ask Farmman,he'll back me up on this :rofl:

Offline RedRamage

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 12:47:00 AM
Nylon zip ties, most fabrics, paper, thin plastic, hair, small pruning, I use mine excessively, even the 58mm's. :salute:

Yeah, good point on the zip ties.  They're great for getting in small little spaces to clip 'em.

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 04:46:36 AM

that's us mobile

My thoughts exactly!  I rarely use my scissors, (although I'm glad they're there if ever I need 'em) but I use my knife all the time.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

us Offline Cogito

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 05:02:07 AM
1. I get looks if I use a knife, because people are lame :(

2. Scissors are like a 3rd hand.  If you have to hold something that moves a bit or is slippery with one hand and then try to cut it vertically.

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 05:09:34 AM
1. I get looks if I use a knife, because people are lame :(

2. Scissors are like a 3rd hand.  If you have to hold something that moves a bit or is slippery with one hand and then try to cut it vertically.
I hear this a lot but have never had this happen to me perhaps it's because I live in texas.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 04:47:12 AM
Trimming fingernails and hangnails. Trimming skin when a cut is healing and the dry layers are pealing back. Trimming my mustache, nose and ear hair. I DARE anyone to try to do those last three with a knife blade!

I also find scissors work better for small precision work on flexible things, like narrowing a bandaid, cutting moleskin, that kind of thing. And I'm less likely to knick the wire if I'm using scissors to cut the insulation and pull it off. Or if I'm cutting wires that are soldered to something on the other end, I'm less like to break that- I can always splice in a new wire with my EDC electrical tape, I don't EDC a soldering iron.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 02:12:06 PM
I don't see much here that I can't easily accomplish with 58mm scissors...  Cutting large pieces of fabric, I suppose is one but I never do that.
- Terry

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 03:22:03 PM
Just thought about this: I'd rather hand (certain) people a pair of scissors to trim things than I would a knife blade (especially one of mine as they are kept very sharp). There are some people I wouldn't trust with a butter knife, let alone any of the blades I keep on my person.

There is also the double-take factor. I'm not living in a heavily restricted area (like the UK), but there are some people that get really nervous or start asking a lot of questions when I use a knife (other than a SAK or MT) to perform a task. Sometimes, I just don't want to put up with it or explain how it is perfectly legal and acceptable for me to carry a knife. In those cases, the scissors get the call.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 10:29:59 PM
I don't see much here that I can't easily accomplish with 58mm scissors...  Cutting large pieces of fabric, I suppose is one but I never do that.

I agree that most everything can be done with the 58mm scissors. The main reason I insist on full-sized scissors is because I'd rather carry an extra layer than an extra tool (even a little one like my alox Classic). Naturally, your mileage may vary.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%