Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why Scissors?

NutSAK · 52 · 5361

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Why Scissors?
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47:45 PM
I hate the "because they are people friendly" answer. No offense to anyone, but in my personal life if someone is uncomfortable with me using one of the most primitive tools ever created than thats there problem. People are to sensitive and its not my responsibility to make other people feel comfortable.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 12:09:52 AM
I agree that most everything can be done with the 58mm scissors. The main reason I insist on full-sized scissors is because I'd rather carry an extra layer than an extra tool (even a little one like my alox Classic). Naturally, your mileage may vary.

I have to agree with this. Plus living in the UK having two knives on you even one as small as a 58mm classic could quite possibly get you in a awkward situation with people.

The only way I could be a knife less mod.   

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 01:28:33 AM

I hate the "because they are people friendly" answer. No offense to anyone, but in my personal life if someone is uncomfortable with me using one of the most primitive tools ever created than thats there problem. People are to sensitive and its not my responsibility to make other people feel comfortable.

Preach it!!  I'm sick and tired of people being "offended."  If you don't like it; leave.
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 01:53:10 AM

Preach it!!  I'm sick and tired of people being "offended."  If you don't like it; leave.

I don't mean to be argumentative but if I took that stance at work I would loose my job.

Please keep in mind this forum has a very large international cross selection of members who come from countries with different laws & customs to America, what is socially acceptable where they come from could could be VERY different to were you live.     

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:33 AM
From now on I will wear knives all over my body, as a luxurious coat of pointy steel feathers. That'll teach them.

Really, though, I just like minimizing the number of things in my pockets. Hell, I don't even like carrying a cellphone. It's a pretty simple equation for me: two pocket knives is more than one pocket knife. Amalgamation time!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 02:17:01 AM
From now on I will wear knives all over my body, as a luxurious coat of pointy steel feathers.
:worthless:

:rofl:

EDIT: Also, Syph probably has enough blades for your coat. :D

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:00 AM

I don't mean to be argumentative but if I took that stance at work I would loose my job.

Please keep in mind this forum has a very large international cross selection of members who come from countries with different laws & customs to America, what is socially acceptable where they come from could could be VERY different to were you live.     

+1 :tu:. I think it is very easy to lose sight of just how global this community. Perceptions of what is acceptable can vary even within the boundaries of a country let alone internationally.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:36 AM
From now on I will wear knives all over my body, as a luxurious coat of pointy steel feathers.

I sense another 30 day challenge coming... :D

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 02:39:03 AM
I could technically be kicked out of school just for possessing a "weapon" as ridiculous as I may find that there isn't much I can do about it. Outside of campus I have zero concern about whether people feel I should have a TOOL on me. It isn't their subject to have feelings about, if knives or multitools make you feel uncomfortable then don't carry one.

But I do know that this is a frame of mind that can't be shared with everyone here. I don't wish to be standoffish about it like I'm making a point, I just enjoy having tools at the ready and as long as they are used in a skillful manner there should be no issue.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Yaesu Man

Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 02:55:46 AM

Just want to clarify that I am aware of that, and I wasn't referring to situations where it could lead to trouble i.e. school, airports, and other places where it is illegal.  Just in general, I couldn't care less what other people think. 
"Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy." - Red Green

"The Second Ammendment is the only thing keeping them from taking the First." - Phil Valentine

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 04:28:49 AM

I sense another 30 day challenge coming... :D

Tempting, but first thing's first: must finish Rebar Challenge! Also, the dry cleaning bills would be exorbitant.

Anyway, I am in a place with basically no knife issues at all, but there are still plenty of times I'd pick scissors first. While it's true that knives can do a lot of scissor work, it's also true that a trained lobster could do a lot of scissor work, and would be a better conversation starter. That doesn't mean I go to school with a pocket filled with lobsters every day.

More's the pity.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:44 AM
Lots of good reasons and info all over this thread
Lynn summs it up brilliantly in this post:

While there are a great number of things a blade can do to replace scissors, in many instances, the scissors are safer.
In many cutting tasks, scissors are more precise than a blade, particularly if you're somewhere without a surface to cut against.
So to summarise:
  • Safety
  • Precision work
  • When you need to cut but have nothing to press against - This is the biggie
  • Also when you need to cut in a hole (eg nose) - But also non organic holes!!
I love my SAK scissors and use them pretty much every day.
I even read somewhere (I think from Vic) that they are one of the defining features of a SAK.  :pok:

Today it was a drinks carton - the wee ones with a straw hole - But I needed to decant it - so the straw hole was no good.
Would not have opened it with a knife - the juice would have splurted everywhere!!

As much as I like the 58/65 scissors they are so tiny - Only really good for a one snip cutting task of a pretty lightweight material...
Their larger cousins make cutting much quicker and easier.
For some cutting tasks even the larger ones are a bit small.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 09:35:23 AM

I definitely agree that no one should take that stance in a situation like a job setting unless you want to possibly get fired. My personal feelings about it are that basically any standard job should allow there employees to carry a knife or MT if they so choose. Your job restricting you from carrying that knife is stripping you the use of the knife as well as your freedom to use the knife because "people" say its not appropriate in a job setting. Well to me its completely appropriate to have a knife on me in my place of work or anywhere else i like.

I understand we have a global presence on the forum and what is socially accepted here might not be there, but if you go back to my original post I say "in my personal life" which is referring  to me in the USA. If someone has a problem than to bad. Im doing nothing illegal so leave me alone. Simple as that.

If that came off in a smirky manner I apologize. It isn't meant to. 
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Cogito

Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:37 AM
Lots of good reasons and info all over this thread
Lynn summs it up brilliantly in this post:

While there are a great number of things a blade can do to replace scissors, in many instances, the scissors are safer.
In many cutting tasks, scissors are more precise than a blade, particularly if you're somewhere without a surface to cut against.
So to summarise:
  • Safety
  • Precision work
  • When you need to cut but have nothing to press against - This is the biggie
  • Also when you need to cut in a hole (eg nose) - But also non organic holes!!
I love my SAK scissors and use them pretty much every day.
I even read somewhere (I think from Vic) that they are one of the defining features of a SAK.  :pok:

Today it was a drinks carton - the wee ones with a straw hole - But I needed to decant it - so the straw hole was no good.
Would not have opened it with a knife - the juice would have splurted everywhere!!

As much as I like the 58/65 scissors they are so tiny - Only really good for a one snip cutting task of a pretty lightweight material...
Their larger cousins make cutting much quicker and easier.
For some cutting tasks even the larger ones are a bit small.

This is a side question, but is the micra/ style cs/ crosscut too large to cut nose hair effectively?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:34 AM
The best scissors for nose hair is a SAK classic. Second best would be LM Style PS. In my opinion.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 02:27:26 PM
Yaesu Man: I'm glad you agree that it would stupid to try it at an airport ect, but the point I was trying to make was that in different countries what is socially acceptable can be very different to what your used to regardless of what the actual law is.

captain spaulding: I live in the UK and the actual knife laws aren't to bad and were I work hasn't banned me from having a knife on me and in fact my boss & co-workers have borrowed my sak more than once to open boxes ect. 

However working in retail and having to deal with the public means I have to use a bit of discretion in how I use it & be reasonable in how I treat their concern.  Being confrontational as some people seem to be advocating would certainly lead to problems and possibly disciplinary action.       

It's not so much the knife itself that would be the problem, but rather it could be an item that triggers a customer complaint & how I deal with that customer (i.e the stance I take) that could loose me my job.

From my point of view I just see it as just a rather specific example of good customer service than having my freedoms encroached or infringed on.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 02:51:25 PM
While it's true that knives can do a lot of scissor work, it's also true that a trained lobster could do a lot of scissor work, and would be a better conversation starter. That doesn't mean I go to school with a pocket filled with lobsters every day.

More's the pity.

Swiss Army Lobster? I think Leatherman might already have that trademarked...
bioniclobster.jpg
* bioniclobster.jpg (Filesize: 12.4 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #47 on: March 04, 2014, 05:10:36 PM
This is a side question, but is the micra/ style cs/ crosscut too large to cut nose hair effectively?

No, they're fine. My husband carries a Micra, and has had no problem. He uses it to trim both nose and beard hairs.

I carry a Crosscut, and also have no problem, trimming detailed stuff. I DO think the 58mm SAKs are more nimble, but either will get the job done.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #48 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:46 PM
The Bionic Lobster video is amazing, but the comic book's ending could have used some editing.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:38 AM
The best scissors for nose hair is a SAK classic. Second best would be LM Style PS. In my opinion.

You must be nasally challenged- I find both of those two too small. Yes, Raven has a big beak. *laughs*
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 01:48:47 PM
Well I'll be!!

Are you the same ironraven that used to hang out on the ETS forum? If you are then I can say is it's a smurfing small world!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 09:36:08 PM

You must be nasally challenged- I find both of those two too small. Yes, Raven has a big beak. *laughs*

Guess so cause they are ideal size!  :D
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44