Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom Victorinox Knife

Offline supratentorial

Custom Victorinox Knife
on: December 25, 2006, 07:48:01 AM
Doing some last minute Christmas shopping, I was walking by that Build Your Own Teddy Bear shop at the mall and I thought it would be great if Victorinox (or another mult-tool company) had a similar store--Build your Swiss Army Knife.

Although there are exceptions (i.e. Soldier, Rambler/Manager), I'm usually disapointed in the combination of tools chosen by Victorinox and other multi-tool manufacturers.  I'd really like to pick just the tools I actually want rather than buying a large unweildy multi-tool with the added bulk of unwanted features.  SOG's EOD is designed so users can replace tools but they haven't offered many options--I couldn't even find a plain edge knife for the EOD.  Also, I prefer Victorinox multi-tools. Victorinox isn't perfect though.  On my red Swiss Army knives, I don't think I'll ever use the carrying hook.  And the philips driver is often poorly placed so that it opens in the middle of the knife.

This is what I'd want...

1. SwissTool Spirit with a ruler and plain edge drop point blade (instead of the serrated sheepfoot blade) or a SwissTool Spirit S with a ruler and scissors instead of the serrated blade.
2. Workchamp with all locking tools and a one-hand opening blade. With a longer standard philips driver. Without the small philips driver and plier--the small plier looks like a toy.
3. A red Swiss Army knife with the same tools as my custom designed workchamp

Victorinox are you listening?  There's space for lease in the mall.  When are you opening the custom Swiss Army Knife store? 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 07:52:03 AM by supratentorial »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Custom Victorinox Knife
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:02:38 PM
Interesting idea... of course if the tools exist then you could always consider modding a knife to get what you want out of it.  It's a common practice for some SOSAK members.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 03:45:26 PM
Or have Vic do what Buck Knives has, its own "custom shop" :D
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline supratentorial

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 04:15:36 PM
I like the Buck custom shop.  Thanks for the heads up BIG-TARGET.  I'd like to see that idea applied to Swiss Army knives.  I think that would be a very popular store.

I'd probably muck up a modification that requires drilling out the pins and replacing tools.  But I might look into engraving a rule on the handle of my Swisstool Spirit.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 04:43:52 PM
The biggest problem with a ruler on the Spirit, and probably the number one reason why Victorinox didn't do it, is the curved, ergonomic handles.  Now, if you were only measuring curved, ergonomic things that might not be such a bad thing...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 05:59:23 PM
The biggest problem with a ruler on the Spirit, and probably the number one reason why Victorinox didn't do it, is the curved, ergonomic handles.  Now, if you were only measuring curved, ergonomic things that might not be such a bad thing...

Def

Could that not put it on another tool, like the do on the fish de-scaler on their knives??
E

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 07:57:42 PM
Well, if we are redesigning. . .

Why not a spring loaded pull out tape measure built into the handle?  Maybe that would be better built into the sheath?  Kind of like a combination lanyard and tape measure.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 08:00:39 PM
You probably could do it on another tool.  I saw a while back where a guy carved notches on the spine of a fishing blade to measure the fish he was catching.  With the sheeps foot blade on the Spirit you could probably get away with that.

As for the tape measure, I'd rather just buy stuff from Kaeser & Blair Inc and get one free with a friend's name printed on it! :D

Def

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 01:15:33 AM
Def,

You forgot to mention the snazzy LED light and keyring. :-\

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 09:50:34 AM
The rule would be engraved in the middle of the handle and wouldn't follow the curve of the ergonomic handle--not perfect but useful.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 11:47:43 PM
It's surely possible for Victorinox to create custon SAKs...but then many people might stop after they get 'the one'.

Although, if the price was right, I'm sure Victorinox would make a killing off customs...people would make one for work carry, weekend carry, camping, etc...
[

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 02:00:49 AM
I like the Buck custom shop.  Thanks for the heads up BIG-TARGET.  I'd like to see that idea applied to Swiss Army knives.  I think that would be a very popular store.

I'd probably muck up a modification that requires drilling out the pins and replacing tools.  But I might look into engraving a rule on the handle of my Swisstool Spirit.

Like, if Vic made their own custom shop, I "dream SAK" Would be an OH- fireman,with a phillips(instead of a cork screw), Stayglow handles and all blades/tools be made of damascus steel!!!! :angel:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 02:03:32 AM
You really need to talk to SwissBianco- Roger can do just about all of that stuff.

Look in the SOSAK shop and you will see some of his damascus bladed SAKs, swapping the phillips is a pretty simple job, and he also has (if there are any left) a limited number of stayglo scales...

Anything else I can do for you?  :police:

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 02:36:29 AM
Roger's work is top noch.
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 12:04:24 PM
thanks!

vic will 99% never do any custom shop, theyr goal is making 1000s of knives in an short time in high quality and maximum medium price.

custon is near anything possible, if you pay it in advance LOL.

i try my best to show mr e. some possibilities and at least the lumberjack (red,black,blue,white eco scales), the yeoman are back in limited numbers from +B only.

also the oht PLAIN EDGE with corkscrew/philips and black/red scales is on the way soon. and some verry vew with stayglow scales WITHOUT RESCUE TOOL PRINT on them (SOLD OUT) try to get more...

and mr e./+B work on an limited number of oht plain edge with damasteel stainless damascus cutting blade and ??? scales but that needs time. mr e. likes damascus as i do. and as damasteel also has rwl34 (powder met ats34) steel i try to get some few OHT with that high tech bladematerial done, sorry not for sale yet and no infos either.

mr e. is also testing my oht kydexsheath and my design oht titanium pocketclip proto. hope at least the clip makes it in stainless into production.

all in all you see theres sompthing movig but it needs time, theyr busy and after all its only an verry small number of knives i can order and theres mutch trouble here on swiss with the law etc. once i get the us visa its mutch better and i can advertise that spl vic models.

we can be happy and thankfully that mr e. got ouer point and helps us, many thanks to ibach!

roger remund
bianco new swiss knives
www.swissbianco.com
www.fehlschaerfe.de
www.sosakonline.com
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:08:22 PM by swissbianco »

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 12:13:48 PM
oh and i wont make you crazy mention an possibe alox lumberjack or an 91mm lumberjack with firestarter or that i start in january to try my poor hands on multy color splash anodising aluminium, hopefully soldier scales for carry them in my clear see tru kydex, and and and...

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 02:09:31 PM
oh and i wont make you crazy mention an possibe alox lumberjack or an 91mm lumberjack with firestarter or that i start in january to try my poor hands on multy color splash anodising aluminium, hopefully soldier scales for carry them in my clear see tru kydex, and and and...

Did someone say LUMBERJACK? ::)
http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/lumberjk.mp3

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 02:04:55 AM

Multi-color splash anodized aluminum scales?!!!!     Ooooooooh, that sounds perrrrrrrty!  :o
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 02:12:18 AM
It certainly is... Roger, if I wasn't supposed to post these, I apologize!

Def
DSCI2496.JPG
* DSCI2496.JPG (Filesize: 79.23 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 02:12:41 AM
Numbuh too

Def
DSCI2497.JPG
* DSCI2497.JPG (Filesize: 72.51 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 03:06:24 AM
Teasing us with pictures like those is downright wicked and evil! I have a good mind to report you to the Administrator.....
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 01:10:50 PM
thats titanium def! remember that s2 groupbuy i did? like this they look now, also rainbow anodising and gold/blue splash. the pic is not as nice as the original, i can make knives but no good pics.

anodising alu is diffrent and it needs to be tested out. the finish will be between matt and polished somewhere.
and more like veins for an start. have to work up from there.

the big deal is not the anodising (now) but make that titanium scales, by hand. if anybody now an source to make an small run affordable by cnc let me now, swissbianco at gmx.ch

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:04 AM
Roger,
Is 6AL4V the grade of titanium you use?
~Bob

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 10:40:00 AM
i use all kind of titanium i get. for blades, linerlocks and other uses that need an tough ti 6al4v is ok, for decorating only lower ti grades with less others mixed in is better, you get nicer/easyer colors.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 04:11:01 AM
Def,

You forgot to mention the snazzy LED light and keyring. :-\

You mean like this? :P

Def

* Travis.JPG (Filesize: 36.26 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 09:48:50 AM
Nice custom work! Thinking of swapping out blades is starting to make me miss my SOG... oops wrong forum ;)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 01:54:46 AM
thanks!

vic will 99% never do any custom shop, theyr goal is making 1000s of knives in an short time in high quality and maximum medium price.

custon is near anything possible, if you pay it in advance LOL.

i try my best to show mr e. some possibilities and at least the lumberjack (red,black,blue,white eco scales), the yeoman are back in limited numbers from +B only.

also the oht PLAIN EDGE with corkscrew/philips and black/red scales is on the way soon. and some verry vew with stayglow scales WITHOUT RESCUE TOOL PRINT on them (SOLD OUT) try to get more...

and mr e./+B work on an limited number of oht plain edge with damasteel stainless damascus cutting blade and ??? scales but that needs time. mr e. likes damascus as i do. and as damasteel also has rwl34 (powder met ats34) steel i try to get some few OHT with that high tech bladematerial done, sorry not for sale yet and no infos either.

mr e. is also testing my oht kydexsheath and my design oht titanium pocketclip proto. hope at least the clip makes it in stainless into production.

all in all you see theres sompthing movig but it needs time, theyr busy and after all its only an verry small number of knives i can order and theres mutch trouble here on swiss with the law etc. once i get the us visa its mutch better and i can advertise that spl vic models.

we can be happy and thankfully that mr e. got ouer point and helps us, many thanks to ibach!

roger remund
bianco new swiss knives
www.swissbianco.com
www.fehlschaerfe.de
www.sosakonline.com

I remember, many years ago, an article about the Buck Knives Custom shop!!.  And they were the first to admit that it loses money.   But what it initially looses, it will make up for on positive PR & R&D.  Especially if the make a custom model(at a profit loss), and a friend or 2(of the original owner of said custom model) want their own model,,,and so on,,,,and so on.    Then that model may end up being transfer to the full time production line.
Note, some of bucks newer fixed bladed hunters were originally made in their custom shop.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:57:27 AM by BIG-TARGET »

Offline Irish Sentry

Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 02:53:31 AM
Roger which e mail is the best address to use to talk to you personally about ordering stayglow with no print and a plain oht?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 03:03:59 AM
You can contact him at swissbianco@hotmail.com if that helps.

Def

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 11:46:01 AM
thanks def.

regarding an vic custom shop that may work on usa. will think about it. point is some machinery to assemble it correct would be needed and that cost. and swissarmybrands usa wont do that.

second the stock of parts needed cost and the labor, ya now i get an fortune for my work LOL. no the price would be higher than an stock model for sure. and i dont bellive there is enough orders to be economical.

let me discuss this as i get my us visa.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%