Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade Show 2008 - Leatherman Booth

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Blade Show 2008 - Leatherman Booth
on: June 02, 2008, 02:29:54 PM
Leatherman didn't have any new offerings in the tool dept. but they were totally redesigning thier knife line. Using new molded sheel metal techniques and injection modling they are able to create thinner and lighter knives than we currently have. All of the knives show to me were "prototypes" and the real ones were indeed being manufactured as we speaked. The main man running the booth was an engineer for Leatherman, he told me so much information I don't think I could remember half of it. The one awesome thing is that they all not only have pocket clips but they are low riding pocket clips. He even mentioned how they designed the clips to keep the knife from sliding out of the corner of your pocket. No matter which pocket it's in, left or right the knife angles itself torward your pockets seam to keep it in place.

The Customer Service aspect was awesome, some guy with a broken Skeletool CX came to the booth cause his bit holder was not locking in the bits anymore. The designer tried to fix the problem on the spot, using other leathermans's of course...and even showed us why the lock was not working as it should. And then gave the customer a new CX right from the case. I was like WOW, now that is great service! As the guy walked away the designer motioned the other guy to go give him a hat to add to his troubles....made me smile I tell ya.

Leatherman agreed with me that the world wants more minimalist tools, thier skeletools along with thier new knife line are an extention of that. Everyone wants to carry something and be prepared but no one wants the weight. The SHOT and this show were both another way that Leatherman recieved feedback about it products, which I found cool.

Remember these pics of the knives are protos, the real ones look different and can be seen on Leatherman's website....but for now here are some pics.

Here are some misc pics I took of the stuff at the booth (the pic of the booth was so blurry I declined to post it.):P

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: Blade Show 2008 - Leatherman Booth
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:56 PM
thanks for the info

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:55:20 PM
The 25th Anniversary models are pretty sweet huh? :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:00:35 PM
Yea its pretty sweet, would not want to do more than look at it though, would be afraid of messing up it's shiny surface hehehe

David

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:00:02 PM
Thank you Dave. We greatly appreciate your efforts in reporting to us and for sharing the nice photos.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:07 PM
Thanks Dave! :cheers:
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:25:49 PM
That was nice of the rep!

And I'm glad to see the Crunch is still being produced!  (It's in one of the pics) :multi:
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 11:30:50 PM
I plan on buying a 25th Anniversary Wave.. It has a very nice finish!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 01:02:55 AM
Interesting to see that Leatherman is still innovating their knife line. It had seemed like there was nothing going on with the knives, but apparently its quite the opposite! :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 02:24:12 AM
Thank you dave, nice sharp pics!
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline joebw

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 04:14:58 PM
I'm glad to see the additions to the Leatherman knife line.  I think that they make a pretty neat product line. I carry several of them on different rotations.

It appears that the little "flipper" for one-finger opening isn't present on these knives.  David, can you comment on that?

Thanks - Joe

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 04:35:06 PM
thanks for the pics, I have wanted to get more of their knives.

Offline raptor

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:27:42 AM
nice pics :)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 10:36:41 PM
As a matter of fact they still have a flipped, it's been redesigned and I found it much easier to open the knife than I do on the old ones. You flip with the whole pad of your finger rather than the tip, it's really more free flowing and quick. I wanted to pocket one so bad it hurt! lol

David

Offline joebw

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 12:53:29 AM
Hi David,

Thanks much for the Flipper info.  Looking forward to adding 20 more Leatherman knives to my collection.

Best - Joe

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:28:52 PM
     Any idea when those new knives are going to be available in stores? 

Offline joebw

Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 03:18:10 PM
I was told by a Leatherman marketing person that the new knives would start to be available in September.  With twenty different models, I wouldn't expect them all at once.

Joe

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 06:07:07 PM
With 10 different models already in here, i can only say: be sure to handle the knife of your choice before buying.
Several of the ones i inspected had a bad lockup, as in up and down bladeplay in the locked position.
Liners that went over to the other scale without even touching the base of the blade.

Most people don't even notice this when buying, but problems like this tends to get worse in use.
And guess who will have to fix or replace it, :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:03 PM
so theyre not as good as their predestors?

i think h502 and e306x were the best ones and i was hopin that the new models would be same or better quality.

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 07:56:45 PM
I'm not too happy with Leatherman knives in general, maybe i'm being a bit harsh but they should have kept with making multitools and leave knifemaking to people who know what they are doing, like for instance Spyderco, Benchmade, and lately Kershaw.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 08:01:19 PM
I hate the tail end carabiner.  It would have been much more useful to replace it with a universal wrench like Ive seen on some SAKs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 05:39:44 AM
I've only got one Leatherman knife. The lock up on it is pretty solid. My only complaint is the whole knife is a lot bigger and heavier than other knives with a similar blade size. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%