Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you just get?

pfrsantos · 11973 · 451718

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: What did you just get?
Reply #5550 on: January 18, 2019, 02:03:11 PM
Excellent tools GLBM and MMR  :tu: :like:

I am amazed by the whole way the Surge is build....this thing seriously feels like the King Tiger Tank (or Maus) equivalent of a multitool, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this thing would stop a bullet or several for that matter. Even just holding it in my hand, it doesn't even feel like its a multi tool I have in my hand, it feels more like a real pair of heavy duty pliers I have in my hand.

I have no doubts that this thing will get the job done....over and over again for the next many years to come.

Which makes me wonder, has there ever been any reports of any LM Surge failing?
I think the Surge can handle heavy duty jobs  :tu: :like:
The weight feels good I don’t think it’s to heavy for edc :D
I am not sure if a Surge has failed but would be surprised  :think:

There you go again!
Dude, another fake hayku?!
You just can't stop!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
:pok: as long as I can wind you up with this
I will carry on :D
fail to prepare prepare to fail

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5551 on: January 18, 2019, 02:07:13 PM
You're a very difficult man pfrfrpfrpfrprrfrtrtfpffrsantos!

Difficult, me?!

:o :o

Show content

:cry: :cry:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5552 on: January 18, 2019, 02:08:14 PM

I am amazed by the whole way the Surge is build....this thing seriously feels like the King Tiger Tank (or Maus) equivalent of a multitool, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this thing would stop a bullet or several for that matter. Even just holding it in my hand, it doesn't even feel like its a multi tool I have in my hand, it feels more like a real pair of heavy duty pliers I have in my hand.

I have no doubts that this thing will get the job done....over and over again for the next many years to come.

There you go again!
You just can't stop!

:pok: as long as I can wind you up with this
I will carry on :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5553 on: January 18, 2019, 02:11:49 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :like:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #5554 on: January 18, 2019, 02:18:16 PM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5555 on: January 18, 2019, 02:31:20 PM
 :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5556 on: January 18, 2019, 02:35:49 PM
Congrats with your new (and very YELLOW) addition to your collection.

This might be a dumb question(s), but do you have to open the pliers on the MP600 to access the tools in it? ..are the pliers sting loaded or do they just flap around when you use e.g. the screwdrivers unless you close the pliers again with the selected tool deployed after opening the pliers to access the tools? ...or how does it work?  ???

I'm just curious that's all
No problem, I don't mind sharing information, and thank you for the kind words  :cheers:

MP600.
Slide pliers out to access tools? Yes. But, I can slide the pliers out, access a tool, and close it up almost as fast as I can locate a tool on a Spirit and open it up. Just takes practice.
Spring loaded pliers? No. And I am not a fan, because mainly I never got acclimated to sprung pliers.

Having to close it up? Depends on the situation. Unless it is a knife blade, you can leave the pliers open while using the implements. When I restored lighting, I always left a driver and the pliers deployed, so I could ework the pliers and flip over to loosen/tighten a screw. :tu:

The MP600 has the least handle splay if any common MT and the strongest plier head I have ever used. The design is a bit antiquated, but very robust.

This bad boy arrived today!

A BO LM Surge

(Image removed from quote.)

I must say, holy moly this thing is a beast, compared to any other multitool I have ever owned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! :like:
The Surge is a favorite of mine.

Thank you, W! :cheers:

Yes, but mainly because the heft of the Surge makes people think they can abuse them to no end.
I have abused my Surge  without problems, but know when to stop. Some guys will do stupid stuff like cut big hardend nails or stand on the plier handles, and see failures; but most of us aren't going to habe any issue. Aside from possible defects in the steel casting. :ahhh

This thing costed too much, but dangit, it was one of those tools I wanted when I first started collecting MTs. Finally bit the bullet for one and am happy with it. Gotta be soooo careful with the paint on it. I am glad that Snap-On went with Cerakote for the red one.

Did you get that one through Hard Hat? If so, how did you get it through them?  Did you have to go through an "ASi or PPAI" distributor? If not, how?    Still debating getting the MP600 cable cutter; but might as well just go with a few of their cheaper models instead.
Got mine on ebay. I have looked into that HardHat and am not even sure they even have those tools. I just gave up on trying to buy anything there.
Get yourself an MP600 ProScout. The design is antiquated, yet still perfectly suitable for any use today. Just don't expect to receive an instrument of fit & and finish like a swisstool. The 600 is designed to be a hard work tool above all. Fantastic pliers, excellent tool locks, and super strong construction make it one of the best MTs you can buy. They can be found on ebay pretty cheap too for a used one. :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:39:12 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5557 on: January 18, 2019, 03:25:01 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that the Surge will get me out of most situations, and I agree I don't think it's too big or heavy for EDC...I have been carrying mine around on my belt for the last few hours, apart from a barely noticeable increase in weight, it doesn't feel much different to carry on my belt than any of my other Leathermans ...even size wise it doesn't feel much different to carry on the belt than say a Kick, Charge or Rebar.....at least from what I have noticed so far.

There you go again!
You just can't stop!

Hey, lay off my buddy WSpeed or there will be trouble  :viking:;)  )

Congrats with your new (and very YELLOW) addition to your collection.

This might be a dumb question(s), but do you have to open the pliers on the MP600 to access the tools in it? ..are the pliers sting loaded or do they just flap around when you use e.g. the screwdrivers unless you close the pliers again with the selected tool deployed after opening the pliers to access the tools? ...or how does it work?  ???

I'm just curious that's all
No problem, I don't mind sharing information, and thank you for the kind words  :cheers:

MP600.
Slide pliers out to access tools? Yes. But, I can slide the pliers out, access a tool, and close it up almost as fast as I can locate a tool on a Spirit and open it up. Just takes practice.
Spring loaded pliers? No. And I am not a fan, because mainly I never got acclimated to sprung pliers.

Having to close it up? Depends on the situation. Unless it is a knife blade, you can leave the pliers open while using the implements. When I restored lighting, I always left a driver and the pliers deployed, so I could ework the pliers and flip over to loosen/tighten a screw. :tu:

The MP600 has the least handle splay if any common MT and the strongest plier head I have ever used. The design is a bit antiquated, but very robust.

This bad boy arrived today!

A BO LM Surge

I must say, holy moly this thing is a beast, compared to any other multitool I have ever owned!

Congrats! :like:
The Surge is a favorite of mine.

Yes, but mainly because the heft of the Surge makes people think they can abuse them to no end.
I have abused my Surge  without problems, but know when to stop. Some guys will do stupid stuff like cut big hardend nails or stand on the plier handles, and see failures; but most of us aren't going to habe any issue. Aside from possible defects in the steel casting. :ahhh

Thanks for the info about the MP600 :tu: ...I have been wondering (as I have never seen or held one IRL) how it works with the sliding pliers and the inside mounted tools, but you clarified it pretty well for me, so thank you for that.  :cheers:

I kind of figured that it wouldn't be a problem with the sliding pliers and accessing the tools that way, especially since it has been Gerbers USP (Unique Selling Point) for many many years now.  :)

Regarding the Surge; I'd say anyone with a bit of common sense wouldn't try to cut hardened nails or apply their body weight to a multitool, for the same reasons as one wouldn't do that to any other handheld tool anyway, so I wouldn't really blame that on the tool  :D

Funny thing is, before I ordered my Surge, I like everyone else now a days, went online and read different reviews and watched a few youtube reviews about the LM Surge, and I honestly didn't find a single person who didn't recommend the Surge, the only "Negatives" people had to say about it was its size and weight, but so far I am not too bothered by either, I'd say both its weight and size are also what inspires so much confidence in it, it really gives it that "Old faithful" feeling about it.
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5558 on: January 18, 2019, 03:35:33 PM
Thanks MMR we will give him double trouble  :viking: :viking:
 :rofl: :rofl: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5559 on: January 18, 2019, 03:47:33 PM
@MMR,  Regarding the weight "negative" about the Surge.  While I can understand weight for many is a no go and handle splay is an issue, how can this be a negative for a tool that doesn't sell itself as being small?  Those who say the weight is a negative theres other options.  Its a big tool, one of Leathermans largest.  Are there some issues with the tool?  I have a few Surges old and new and I cannot recall any I've encountered.  Its a very good tool especially kitted out with bits and a combination of saw blades.  Congrats on yours.     
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:01:50 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #5560 on: January 18, 2019, 03:49:58 PM
My Gerber Suspension and knife finally arrived!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5561 on: January 18, 2019, 03:58:12 PM
They look good Serena  :tu: :like:
What do you think of them  :think:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #5562 on: January 18, 2019, 04:02:19 PM
Not quite sure yet. It's really heavy. This won't be a pocket carry, that's for sure. Put them in my EDC Pouch. Sure they will get some use someday.
Not as much as my trusty SAK, but they will…

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5563 on: January 18, 2019, 04:20:24 PM
@MMR,  Regarding the weight "negative" about the Surge.  While I can understand weight for many is a no go and handle splay is an issue, how can this be a negative for a tool that doesn't sell itself as being small?  Those who say the weight is a negative theres other options.  Its a big tool, one of Leathermans largest.  Are there some issues with the tool?  I have a few Surges old and new and I cannot recall any I've encountered.  Its a very good tool especially kitted out with bits and a combination of saw blades.  Congrats on yours.     

Exactly

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5564 on: January 18, 2019, 04:21:48 PM

Wolfpack 4 life!

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5565 on: January 18, 2019, 04:38:23 PM
Not quite sure yet. It's really heavy. This won't be a pocket carry, that's for sure. Put them in my EDC Pouch. Sure they will get some use someday.
Maybe it would be a good tool
for any jobs around the house  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5566 on: January 18, 2019, 04:58:03 PM

Sorry, Speedman! I have to do as MMR told me!

:-[ :-[

Show content
You've just been laid off! Pack up your gear and move along!

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5567 on: January 18, 2019, 04:58:47 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5568 on: January 18, 2019, 05:08:08 PM
Quote from: MMR

Thanks for the info about the MP600 :tu: ...I have been wondering (as I have never seen or held one IRL) how it works with the sliding pliers and the inside mounted tools, but you clarified it pretty well for me, so thank you for that.  :cheers:

I kind of figured that it wouldn't be a problem with the sliding pliers and accessing the tools that way, especially since it has been Gerbers USP (Unique Selling Point) for many many years now.  :)

Regarding the Surge; I'd say anyone with a bit of common sense wouldn't try to cut hardened nails or apply their body weight to a multitool, for the same reasons as one wouldn't do that to any other handheld tool anyway, so I wouldn't really blame that on the tool  :D

Funny thing is, before I ordered my Surge, I like everyone else now a days, went online and read different reviews and watched a few youtube reviews about the LM Surge, and I honestly didn't find a single person who didn't recommend the Surge, the only "Negatives" people had to say about it was its size and weight, but so far I am not too bothered by either, I'd say both its weight and size are also what inspires so much confidence in it, it really gives it that "Old faithful" feeling about it.
:cheers:
The 600 is one of the tools everyone, that is into MTs, should have. :iagree:

Love the Surge. :like:
I scaled down to a Charge, because I also carry a Gerber 600 or Pinchy. But, as a single tool, the Surge is a King in the Heavy Duty world. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5569 on: January 18, 2019, 06:24:13 PM
My grandparents gave me this.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5570 on: January 18, 2019, 06:27:48 PM
That’s a gorgeous looking knife MMR  :dd: :like: :like:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5571 on: January 18, 2019, 06:28:48 PM
I take it you really like this knife MMR  :rofl: :rofl: :like:

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #5572 on: January 18, 2019, 06:35:32 PM

Hmm...what makes you think that?

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5573 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:09 PM

Hmm...what makes you think that?

But all joking aside that is a very nice looking knife  :dd: :like:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5574 on: January 18, 2019, 06:57:03 PM

Beauty! :drool:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5575 on: January 18, 2019, 07:23:58 PM

That is awesome. And special. :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5576 on: January 18, 2019, 07:27:10 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #5578 on: January 18, 2019, 10:10:41 PM
Maybe it would be a good tool
for any jobs around the house  :tu:
It probably is. We'll see in the near future…

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5579 on: January 19, 2019, 08:50:51 PM

Yes...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,75840.msg1634077.html#msg1634077

The replacement I've got is flawless though and got used quite a bit since. I just love it  :tu:

Congrats to an awesome heavy duty MT mate  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD