Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK= Workplace Violence

Singh · 78 · 6669

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Re: SAK= Workplace Violence
Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:47 AM

I think this means they want you to carry a Leatherman, Gerber or a Sog instead :D

You mean a swiss tool. :D
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 11:26:43 AM

I think this means they want you to carry a Leatherman, Gerber or a Sog instead :D

You mean a swiss tool. :D
You mean a Surge. 8)

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline singleshot03

Reply #62 on: April 05, 2014, 02:43:07 PM
I do not know if we can ever change opinions when most of the population live in cities and do not see the utility of carrying a knife be it for help opening packages, handy screwdriver or even self defense.

All of our cars have SAK in them; that is if I can keep my daughters boyfriends from stealing them out of the glove compartment.  When my daughter travels I always make her bring a flashlight and a SAK.

She emailed me from Taiwan and said she finally had a need for the SAK.  She needed to open a bottle of beer.  I was a happy father.

Jim   

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: April 12, 2014, 02:15:16 AM
I do not know if we can ever change opinions when most of the population live in cities and do not see the utility of carrying a knife...

Jim

I don't even try. There's nothing to be gained by sticking my neck out and getting into trouble. If someone doesn't have a tool, that's their problem. *shrugs*

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #64 on: April 12, 2014, 02:21:26 AM
I do not know if we can ever change opinions when most of the population live in cities and do not see the utility of carrying a knife be it for help opening packages, handy screwdriver or even self defense.

All of our cars have SAK in them; that is if I can keep my daughters boyfriends from stealing them out of the glove compartment.  When my daughter travels I always make her bring a flashlight and a SAK.

She emailed me from Taiwan and said she finally had a need for the SAK.  She needed to open a bottle of beer.  I was a happy father.

Jim

This warmed my heart! I did the same with my daughter, sending a SAK with her every time she left town. She has her own now....a Swiss Champ, a Copper Pioneer and a Silver pioneer (all gifts from her dad). :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: April 12, 2014, 06:04:29 PM
After I got out of Law enforcement/Security I tried my luck at Insurance.  The Agent I worked for came to work every day with a Benchmade and a .32 in his pockets. If you didn't shoot guns carry a knife and own a 4wd you where the weirdo. God I love North Idaho.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #66 on: April 13, 2014, 06:42:17 AM
After I got out of Law enforcement/Security I tried my luck at Insurance.  The Agent I worked for came to work every day with a Benchmade and a .32 in his pockets. If you didn't shoot guns carry a knife and own a 4wd you where the weirdo. God I love North Idaho.

Sounds like heaven.  :D

I wonder what kind of gun god's packin.  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: April 13, 2014, 06:54:42 AM

Duh he packs a Glock :rofl:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #68 on: April 13, 2014, 07:10:47 AM

Hahahah... That's exactly what I was going to say.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #69 on: April 13, 2014, 12:45:58 PM

Something that small, I always figured he would at least pack a 44 mag. If not a 50.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: April 13, 2014, 03:33:36 PM

Something that small, I always figured he would at least pack a 44 mag. If not a 50.

live from Nate's mobile

God a very good shoot all he needs is a 9mm

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: April 13, 2014, 03:37:55 PM

On the issue of facial hair, having IS A CHOICE. You can choose to let it grow or to shave.  Many unions have pushed this issue and now in places you see cops in uniform with beards. Sorry but it looks like crap, very unprofessional. Since about 2005 my old department will not hire new employees with tatoos that will not be covered while in normal uniform.  Reasonable or not, they have that power.

I never said I have no choice, I said "who are they to tell me to shave it off. It's not like I can control if I grow facial hair or not." Obviously I can shave if I like and I do keep a clean goatee most of the time, but if I want to let it grow out no one should be offended. Its perfectly natural to have a beard. On top of that if I shave each day my neck gets very irritated and I get very bad razor burn all over my neck. Does a severely red, bumpy, razor burned neck look professional? I understand there are certain perceptions on what is "un-professional" but I don't agree that having a beard as one of them. Being professional (in the workplace) is how you do your job, not how much hair you have on your face. Sure the company you work for has the power to tell you what is acceptable or not concerning your appearance, but the workers have the ultimate power, the choice to work for them or not! Not everyone is alright with being told what is "acceptable."

It may sound like i'm yelling this at you, but it is hard to state your mind through text (for me) without sounding like your yelling at someone. I'm not mad in any way i'm just letting you know how I feel about it.  :tu:

Sound of applause!

Very well said Captain. As a life long beard wearer, I've always bucked the system all I could for the simple reason that shaving irritates the living heck out of my fee and I get what they called in the army, "the bumps." I served 4 years in the army, and halfway through boot camp, I went on sick call with my D.I.'s blessing because my face was a mess. I got what the service called a profile. Permission to skip shaving, and was allowed to have a short chipped beard or to shave every third day. It is a fact that a small percent of men can't shave without bad side effects. To make employment conditional to shaving is against the law if you can prove medical background information. I worked 18 years at a place where they said no beards, but I had the Wolf Blitzer look and got away with it because I had letters from a dermatologist.

As for restricting the pocket knife to a 3 inch blade or less, that does not affect our SAK's at all really. I feel fine at the office with a small tinker or recruit in my pocket. Since I'm old enough that Inever got caught up in this current tactical knife nonsense, where I carry a knife to engage in fantacies of fighting off Chinese paratroopers or roving biker gangs. To me, a pocket knife is a personal cutting tool that a man carries. Twice in my life I've used a pocket knife in a real world emergency to cut someone loose. Once a lady trapped in an upside down Datsun that was starting to burn, and another a little girl got her sneaker lace caught in an escalator. Both times a small sharp blade did the job. YOu don't need as much knife as many people think to cut a seatbelt. A good sharp classic will go through it if need be.

One of the things I blame for the knife now coming under attack from employers is the afor mentioned tactical craze. Too many young impressionable kids trying to emulated a TV hero flicking out the oversize blade for a modern take on the James Dean bad boy act. This wasn't even cool when I was a kid in the 50's, just thought them an idiot punk. As long as you have life imitating art, you have nonsense like no knives.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: April 13, 2014, 05:12:26 PM
Twice in my life I've used a pocket knife in a real world emergency to cut someone loose. Once a lady trapped in an upside down Datsun that was starting to burn, and another a little girl got her sneaker lace caught in an escalator.

:salute:

I hope you share this often, as these are the type of stories people need to hear in order to counter the perception that the primary (or even only) function of knives is as weapons.  Perhaps you'll also consider submitting them here:

http://www.akti.org/about/knives-save-lives

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:18 PM
@cbl51 also well said.  :tu:

Like the article by Jackknife says also, in my generation/locale carrying a pocket knife was a matter of course, but it was given (usually) with instruction and that it was a tool, not a weapon of any sort. Most of the guys I hung around with back in the day had stockmans or trappers, and the older guys always had a small pen knives or peanuts. I was the oddball whipping out my Swiss tool kit at every opportunity, lol...

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #74 on: April 14, 2014, 02:15:17 AM

live from Nate's mobile

God a very good shoot all he needs is a 9mm

9mm, but it's 9x25 Dillon. In a Kimber custom shop Single stack 1911. 

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #75 on: April 14, 2014, 02:59:05 AM
Actually it's a SIG 210 Target. Nothing but the best.

Unknown.jpeg
* Unknown.jpeg (Filesize: 6.98 KB)

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #76 on: April 14, 2014, 03:18:54 AM
Thankfully I am and will always be a maintenance worker.

I had to go through a workplace violence class every year when I worked for a larg hotel chain. Thankfully they also stated in it that maintenance workers can carry whatever tools that are needed to do the job at hand.

they did ask me to keep my knife " normally clipped to my pocket" hidden so I wouldn't scare any guests.

I'm glad I switched jobs

my work now could really care less what I carry. My boss likes to check out my knives/tools/lights.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #77 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:10 AM
Thankfully I am and will always be a maintenance worker.

I had to go through a workplace violence class every year when I worked for a larg hotel chain. Thankfully they also stated in it that maintenance workers can carry whatever tools that are needed to do the job at hand.

they did ask me to keep my knife " normally clipped to my pocket" hidden so I wouldn't scare any guests.

I'm glad I switched jobs

my work now could really care less what I carry. My boss likes to check out my knives/tools/lights.
That's cool. And just think how in awe your boss will be when you show him your new Benchmade  :pok: :pok: :pok:  >:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69