Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[SOLVED] Broken plier (crack) on brand new Leatherman wave??

fr Offline FrenchEOD

[SOLVED]

I've just notice this black thin line on brand new Leatherman... Looks like small crack  or scratch right in the middle :facepalm: almost like a laser made thin line  :o

Anyone with same experience???

UPDATE : i can feel the scratch with a toothpick ... brand new special edition wave ...  :( look the inside of piler haver spilt in 2 pieces only from one side

« Last Edit: Today at 04:24:04 PM by FrenchEOD »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
If that is a crack then it is a real weird one. It continues straight ahead regardless of actual parts changing and regardless of changing thickness of the material. And it isn't in the same place in both the photos (check the E), and it isn't sharp in the photo where the tool is sharp. From the photos it looks to be floating above the tool?

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

fr Offline FrenchEOD

fr Offline FrenchEOD

If that is a crack then it is a real weird one. It continues straight ahead regardless of actual parts changing and regardless of changing thickness of the material. And it isn't in the same place in both the photos (check the E), and it isn't sharp in the photo where the tool is sharp. From the photos it looks to be floating above the tool?

it looks like a scratch made right in the middle where the plier is "sandwidched" by the handle in close position  :dunno:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
It could of course have been scratched by something, but then it will be superficial. For practical use it shouldn't make any difference - mine have lots of scratches from use. For the looks it is of course a downer, and if you are a collector I can see how that can be detracting.

Edit: It is weird that it ends up between the handles. Any scratches from the handles themselves should be round though. Might it be something actually standing up a tiny bit? Hard grime or dirt?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
I think its not likely to be a crack, as it appears to extend beyond the pivot onto the plier head.  Maybe some kind of scratch or bumblehoot (< I don't know what that means) from a machining process.

Not a good look for Leatherman, whose quality has somewhat diminished commensurate with skyrocketing MSRPs. 

fr Offline FrenchEOD

It could of course have been scratched by something, but then it will be superficial. For practical use it shouldn't make any difference - mine have lots of scratches from use. For the looks it is of course a downer, and if you are a collector I can see how that can be detracting.

Edit: It is weird that it ends up between the handles. Any scratches from the handles themselves should be round though. Might it be something actually standing up a tiny bit? Hard grime or dirt?

i can feel the deepness of the scratch with a toothpick i guess the all plier is weaken now  ??? + it was a nice special edition  >:(

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
i can feel the deepness of the scratch with a toothpick i guess the all plier is weaken now  ??? + it was a nice special edition  >:(

The pliers typically break at the jaw and not there. I highly doubt that the scratch is deep enough to make any difference at all. It is stainless steel - you typically need serious effort to make any real difference even if you try in anger.

If you bought it for use there will be more scratches soon enough anyway.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I agree that it's not likely a crack. While disappointing I don't think that it will cause any weakness to the plier head and is more of a cosmetic issue.

fr Offline FrenchEOD

fr Offline FrenchEOD

I agree that it's not likely a crack. While disappointing I don't think that it will cause any weakness to the plier head and is more of a cosmetic issue.

hopefully i can be refund by amazon but disapointing for a special edition

gb Offline Crunchie64

I’m not sure Leatherman are at fault here - I would guess the scratch was caused by the company that did the pattern work. I don’t think it’s an official Leatherman special edition.

Offline Ukleathermanfan

Is it not the laser off that engraving?
You would of noticed?
It must be you who's scratched it is it not? ???

fr Offline FrenchEOD

I’m not sure Leatherman are at fault here - I would guess the scratch was caused by the company that did the pattern work. I don’t think it’s an official Leatherman special edition.

got it from Leatherman amazon official  :dunno:

fr Offline FrenchEOD

Is it not the laser off that engraving?
You would of noticed?
It must be you who's scratched it is it not? ???

nop iv'e not started to use it  >:( i unboxed this wave like 2 days ago and notice this scratch today since the unboxing it was on my desk

fr Offline FrenchEOD

seller is Leatherman Europe GmbH

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

It looks like it maybe lines up with with the gap between the handles when closed. I wonder if it is from the Laser when they did the handles   :dunno:

fr Offline FrenchEOD

(Image removed from quote.)

It looks like it maybe lines up with with the gap between the handles when closed. I wonder if it is from the Laser when they did the handles   :dunno:

that's could be possible but i can feel the crack with my nail and toothpick it's not like a surface scratch" like when ice break in line shape (if it make sense) you think laser is that powerfull ?
« Last Edit: Today at 03:56:41 PM by FrenchEOD »

us Offline LoopCutter

:iagree:,  it is very fine and straight.

I was coming back  to report my conclusion, but Steve was quicker !   

I say, no worry, no real issue, just a little laser splatter🤪😎
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

fr Offline FrenchEOD

:iagree:,  it is very fine and straight.

I was coming back  to report my conclusion, but Steve was quicker !   

I say, no worry, no real issue, just a little laser splatter🤪😎

Indeed look at this picture

Exactly when the pattern start on the handle!

The tool must be not completely closed at the laser customisation  :oops:

fr Offline FrenchEOD

I think you right look at the picture above  :hatsoff:

Thnaks inspector steeve  :multi:

us Offline LoopCutter

that's could be possible but i can feel the crack with my nail and toothpick it's not like a surface scratch" like when ice break in line shape (if it make sense) you think laser is that powerfull ?

Yes, I have a couple engraved blades  that are deep, giving a 3D affect of the image.

Most likely either a program issue at start or end of the cycle or a leaking anode.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

fr Offline FrenchEOD

Yes, I have a couple engraved blades  that are deep, giving a 3D affect of the image.

Most likely either a program issue at start or end of the cycle or a leaking anode.

Thanks for the anwser  :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

us Offline powernoodle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24