Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Surge is Illegal!

Cogito · 43 · 8883

us Offline Agonistes

Re: Leatherman Surge is Illegal!
Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 07:06:07 AM
It's a knife where the blade comes out the front. Rather than folding out like a traditional folder it slides point first through the top of the handle.

There are a few high end knife companies that make them. Have a look at Microtech brand as I think they make some. It's been a while since I was interested in that kind of thing and my memory is a bit rusty.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

thanks!  i went a-googling.  usually the guys around here think of those as switchblades, even though they aren't, or spring knives or sliders, i have heard them called.  i think i used to have one, actually, but it wasn't a great quality.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:09:12 AM by Agonistes »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 04:02:48 PM
It was a really tough call for me, but you guys spooked me on the plier heads breaking so I figured the old surge has more metal in the head for structural integrity, but if I end up carrying it more than my sidekick then I'll prob get a new surge too :)

The Surge is a beast congrats  :tu:.  Mine has dominated my work carry since getting it and my Wave is now my occasional off day carry when I want something larger than my S2.  It you bust the plier head be sure before sending it in to LM take plenty of pictures first. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:01 PM
It was a really tough call for me, but you guys spooked me on the plier heads breaking so I figured the old surge has more metal in the head for structural integrity, but if I end up carrying it more than my sidekick then I'll prob get a new surge too :)
Sounds like a myth, for sure I amn't strong enough to break it.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Cogito

Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 05:43:16 PM

I'm second guessing myself now. I was thinking about it and now I figured I should have gone with the new one, because if I didn't like the new surge so much I could have swapped the nicer tools into the sidekick!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 05:50:32 PM
I have Three Sidekicks, they can't compare to the New Surge, Versatility, design, strength, fit n finish.
There are reasons one is $99 the other is $30.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 05:55:08 PM
JAfromMn uses the smurf out of his ST300 pliers head day after day, he couldnt break it, yet.
Same head as new Surge BTW.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 06:00:22 PM

Florida is pretty lax on knives even switchblades, though I carry my Wave in a sheath. It's too heavy for pocket carry. I carry a Rambler and Style CS in my pocket but those have tiny blades. As for Commifornia, they have some of the goofiest laws in the nation, although NY might be surpassing them these days...  :whistle:
I'm not going to talk about politics but knife wise NY state has no blade length restrictions which I'm glad for.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 06:01:35 PM
I have Three Sidekicks, they can't compare to the New Surge, Versatility, design, strength, fit n finish.
There are reasons one is $99 the other is $30.

The only thing is that the Sidekick has springloaded pliers and slingshot mode and the Surge doesn't have that.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 06:17:29 PM

I'm second guessing myself now. I was thinking about it and now I figured I should have gone with the new one, because if I didn't like the new surge so much I could have swapped the nicer tools into the sidekick!

I don't think that the tools from the Surge will fit in the Sidekick. They are the larger tools like those found in the Core and ST300.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 06:25:37 PM
I would probably have to file down the exact tools that I want. I know someone put the Charge tti tools into a sidekick before.  I would be mainly interested in the awl and the swappable bit driver, the can opener is already in it.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 02:39:09 AM
I've read somewhere Chicago is strict. Blades have to be sub-2" I believe. I could be wrong though.

I used to live a couple of hours from Chicago, and traveled there occasionally.  I think you are close; the limit is a 2.5" blade.  Although I personally have a difficult time envisioning anyone being arrested and charged with this, unless it was either (a) really obvious, like openly carrying a huge fixed blade, or (b) as an add-on to some other charge.  Better safe than sorry, though, I suppose.

Not to get overly political, but the patchwork of crazy state and local knife laws should be all the reason any of us who carry a blade need to support Knife Rights, AKTI, knife law preemption (at the state level), and the Knife Owners' Protection Act.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 02:17:30 PM
I've read somewhere Chicago is strict. Blades have to be sub-2" I believe. I could be wrong though.

I used to live a couple of hours from Chicago, and traveled there occasionally.  I think you are close; the limit is a 2.5" blade.  Although I personally have a difficult time envisioning anyone being arrested and charged with this, unless it was either (a) really obvious, like openly carrying a huge fixed blade, or (b) as an add-on to some other charge.  Better safe than sorry, though, I suppose.

Not to get overly political, but the patchwork of crazy state and local knife laws should be all the reason any of us who carry a blade need to support Knife Rights, AKTI, knife law preemption (at the state level), and the Knife Owners' Protection Act.
+1  :tu:
SAW

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:50 PM
I would probably have to file down the exact tools that I want. I know someone put the Charge tti tools into a sidekick before.  I would be mainly interested in the awl and the swappable bit driver, the can opener is already in it.

Charge/Wave Tools have the right pivot size. The Surge/St300 tools have a larger pivot size and aren't compatible with the Sidekick or Charge/Wave line.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%